Decatur, GA
Students enrolled: 1,005

Chapel Hill Middle School 4

Posted July 27, 2015
This was our 7th grader's first year at CHMS. Although her core classes were in the magnet program, she shared electives and certain school activities with students both within and outside of the program. For the most part, my husband and I were pleased. We found the magnet program's curriculum to be challenging and well balanced. Many of the magnet teachers have been at CHMS for several years now, despite not always getting the administration's support they need to make the program even better. Hopefully that will improve with this year's principal reassignment. I had the pleasure of presenting on the legal profession at this year's Career Day and found the student hosts (Jr. Beta Club members) to be articulate, professional and very impressive. I do hope in the future there will be more in terms of social activities for the students like school dances, a ceremony for graduating 8th graders, a school carnival (one was cancelled and never rescheduled), and better organized team sports. Although academics are definitely the priority, I believe school spirit and socialization, especially at middle school age, are also of great importance.

Posted April 26, 2015
I recommend this school for 7th and 8th grade as the 6th grade can not be separated into 3 teams based on enrollment. The issue of separation is simply the mind set of students. Some are there to learn and need to be on a separate team. Most of the teachers and administrators are awesome on working together to handle challenging students. The key to a child's success begins at home versus school. A child can attend a low rated school and still come out on top with scholarships. One of those most critical factors is whether that child remains true to how he/she is raised or if he/she changes with the environment.

Posted May 08, 2013
I am responding to the latest e-mail sent about the Magnet program. My son is in the Magnet program and has been a straight A student since kindergarten. I have not taught my son to look down on others because we all live in the same world. As a matter a fact he tutors all students and he is just in the 7th grade. He works hard for what he does and we do not have to tell him because he has known since he started school that progress is expected. The Magnet program shows you that time waits for no one and that the real world is waiting for you. Its fast paced for a reason so you must schedule your time. It will pay off in the long run. Just know that not all Magnet students are what you say. They are kind, nice, and have manners with traits that shows through their personality.

Chapel Hill Middle School 3

Posted May 06, 2013
Chapel Hill...I'm leaving after have being here for 2 years and...if you intend to send you're child to the Magnet program know that I had been in Gifted for 6 years before entering this Magnet program and personally I prefer Gifted. It's like Magnet is sprinting, while Gifted is a brisk jog. The Magnet moves way too fast for me ,but in Gifted you can take your time to work the kinks out of problems. At Chapel Hill there's a term I call 'Magnet Conceited'. It's when the Magnet kids look down on the 'normal' or Gifted students. It starts because some Magnet teachers think that it's funny to talk about the non-Magnet kids. It's sad, not good, and leads to narcissism.

Chapel Hill Middle School 2

Posted March 27, 2013
While CHMS is not the WORST middle school in the county, it is most certainly NOT THE BEST. My child is a magnet student at CHMS. I am concerned that my student is not receiving the full magnet experience. The magnet program is limited at best and does not offer a TRUE challenge. This seems to be due to a lack energy and steam among some of the teachers. The teachers have a problem with maintaining discipline/order in the classroom as well. I hope the new principal can bring about a much needed change before the program loses students.

Posted October 06, 2011
The Magnet Program at this school is EXCELLENT! My son is a 7th grader Magnet student who is finally being academically challenged. A recent reading assignment included a book normally read by high school students. The teachers are caring, attentive, and very responsive to parents. I would give this school an A+!

Chapel Hill Middle School 2

Posted July 27, 2011
It truly saddens me to see teachers have such little regard for the students. They talk to the kids like they are in a detention center, I have never seen such a negative display from teachers ever . Im not sure if the principal is in denial that he has a long list of some bad teachers or if he has the same uncaring attitude. I strongly hope for a new principal. Hopefully the county will step in for the sake of our youths.

Chapel Hill Middle School 4

Posted April 19, 2011
It's a good school that can use a little more parent involvement to make it a great school. Some of the Teachers are okay and some are better than others. Band director is excellent. Love the band program. Students do get to express their individuality within the school rules and policies. Just needs a little more TLC and a whole lot more of PARENT INVOLVEMENT!!!!

Posted July 10, 2009
I am a student at chapel hill and I love it. It is a normal school and I wouldnt trade it.

Chapel Hill Middle School 3

Posted June 19, 2008
I am a recent gradute of Chapel Hill Middle & things have definatley changed since 2005. Although the Principle & Ms. Anderson seems to have no care for for the students, & stands in the halls looking for trouble, the other three Assistant Principles are much more caring & envolved & truly have your best interest at heart. Chapel Hill has numberous extracurricular activities & as long as you get envolved there is always something to do. As being a product of the magnet program I believe that is awesome & enjoyable. The teachers put their best foot forward to prepare you for the rest of your academic matricualation. I'm not sure of the resident population b/c its totally different from our schuedules & lesson plans . YET if your child is looking for a southside alteranitve to Chamblee Middle , Chapel Hill Magnet is the way to go:)

Chapel Hill Middle School
3535 Dogwood Farm Rd, Decatur, GA  30034
Last modified Chapel Hill Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Chapel Hill Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top