Posted October 30, 2014
Bob Mathis has seen a lot of changes over the past 10 years. The school has a great rhythm to it as far as a structured and orderly environment. Parent involvement can be improved. My daughter is a 5th grader there and I have 2 older daughters who have attends the school. Two of my daughters are in the gifted program and all three are in the band at their respective schools. I believe the disciplined acquired from this school played a great part in how well they are doing today. Yay for Bob Mathis!

Posted March 06, 2013
Overall I Believe Bob Mathis is a good school and 1 of the best elementary schools in the area. It's a very clean school and the students seemed be well behaved. The teachers and staff are also very professional. The class sizes are smaller than norm and I always see the principal greeting the parents and ensuring the students are doing what they are supposed do. The teachers are very helpful and show concerns for the students. I can honestly attest to this as I am a parent of a kindergartner who is very involved in my child's education. However, there is always room for improvement. I wish they offered more extra curriculum activities and an after school program. Each person experience can be different. After reading the previous parent comment, I was a little hesitant about this school overall. But, my experience with the school and principal has been the totally opposite. I believe that reviews from parents are very helpful and provides a lot of feedback. But at the end of day, sometimes you have to experience things for yourself. Maybe if there were consistent negative reviews about a particular school, then one should become a little concerned.

Posted May 27, 2012
ATTN PLEASE THIS SCHOOL IS HORRIBLE. DR Blaylock doesn't listen and barely speaks to the kids or parents. She's constantly yelling at the kids with her walkie talkie in hand. The teachers never comb there hair and constantly yell at the children. My son was in Ms Lofton class and had to be changed because or her poor judgement and constant yelling. She even made teacher of the year which is sicking. Surely there could have been someone else to receive this award. The KG picnic was a Horrible rude teachers talking to parents and children with NO RESPECT unappreciative and unorganized mess. Field Day was terrible holes in the potato sack bags, no water snacks for the kids, the field was not cut. Parents had to leave to go buy water for the kids. Dr Blaylock didn't even come out to Say Hello or Good Luck have a great summer nothing. In fact I didn't see her at ALL. He will not attend this school next year. This should be a Zero Rate it needs to be closed.

Posted May 25, 2012
Attn Please: This school is the worst school known to mankind! The principal's name is Dr. Willa B. Blaylock and she has no respect for the teachers/ staff or parents. She tries to talk to you like she's above all and she really doesn't even like children at all. My son went here 2011-12 he was in grade K. His teacher was horrible! Her name was Ms. Lofton. Ms. Lofton is an sickly older lady whos taught for over 30years and who has constantly told me she can't wait to retire, so with that being said she had no patience with the kids, not "bubbly" or exciting personality that I think you need to teach kindergarten. She constantly talked to me about her verbal fights with the principle and her being not satisfied with her pay. Bob Mathis has a beautiful playground but the kids never see it because Blaylock has cut out all outdoor activity.. The school has a behavior problem which would be resolved by college interns coming in to help while being a teacher aid, well Blaylock has refused to let any outsiders in the school especially college interns who are willing to work for free to earn credit! I attended the school when I was a little girl it has changed!

Bob Mathis Elementary School 0

Posted October 16, 2010
I love Bob Mathis Elementary school because it has some of the best, loving and caring teachers I have encountered.

Posted February 12, 2009
My son has been at Bob Mathis for the past 2 years. Its a great neighborhood school. I like the small classes. Its an average of 12-15 students to a teacher. The school is very organized and well-ran. Only complaint is that they discontinued the After-Care Program which causes a hardship on working parents.

Bob Mathis Elementary School 2

Posted August 01, 2008
My daughter has attended BM since pre-K and I've been pleased with her education until third grade. The administration has changed and several of the more experienced teachers have transferred away from the school citing the change in leadership. This year, I witnessed many dissruptions to learning in the classrooms and my concerns were not addressed by the teacher or the administration. They were only addressed once I complained to the school board. Still my daughter was not transferred from the classroom. The teachers appear to concentrate on getting the kids to past the standardize test; however, the test scores don't reflect that our kids are keeping up with the state average. BM may be one of the best in the area but it is not top notch, nor does it rank well by this body.

Posted December 09, 2007

Posted September 07, 2007
BM is one of the better EM schools in South Dekalb. The principal doesn't allow the kids to play on their brand new playground for recess. I guess the leadership keeps the teachers in line. The teachers are pretty good, the ones who can put up with the principal. My kids have done fine there so far.

Bob Mathis Elementary School 5

Posted February 27, 2007
Thus school is an hidden treasure and I wish that it went to the 7th grade were my son can stay there and not have to go to middle school. He has learned so much from the teachers there and I would do it all over again

Bob Mathis Elementary School
3505 Boring Rd, Decatur, GA  30034
Last modified Bob Mathis Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Bob Mathis Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top