Decatur, GA
Students enrolled: 1,474

Posted October 30, 2014
This school has changed tremendously in only a few months. We are under new leadership and the principal has already rolled up his sleeves and began the arduous task of taking a school to the top. The atmosphere has improved dramatically and the students are more motivated. There are several programs to learn about through the school which help to increase academic achievement as well as social skills. My daughter is a freshman and is a member of the marching band which is also on the up and up. Changes are quickly taking place and I'm more than happy to be on board and an involved parent and community member!

Posted July 27, 2014
Exciting facilities to support our talented students. Southwest DeKalb High School has recently completed construction on the 83,816-square-foot Fine Arts Center and renovations. The new wing includes a 640-seat auditorium and a two-story block with 31 instructional classrooms, including computer, math and science labs; special education rooms; chorus, drama and band rooms to accommodate 300 students; and an amphitheater.

Posted November 01, 2011
Excellent place to be. Lots of top scholars at Universities come from here the children are the cream of the crop!

Southwest Dekalb High School 3

Posted January 18, 2009
My personal observation is the staff and the adminstration don't always put the students education first. It is sad but I realize it is my responsiblity to make sure my kids get what they need. Mr. Prince appears to be weak and very disrepected. In times like these we need a strong leader. There is more to life than SWD band and the nasty dancing divas. I am impressed with the magnet program and encourage them.

Posted January 12, 2009
This school is average. There are some administrators and teachers that hide some of the things that go on so the reputation can be protected. My daughter goes there and had done pretty well but it has taken a serious amount of monitoring the school and teachers to keep her on track. Not to say this school is better or worse than others including private but it is up to the child and parents to get you kid through with a chance at a decent future. If I had the opportunity I would have taken her to another school that focused more on truly helping kids be the best they can be.

Posted January 12, 2009
My daughter was a transfer student from Cedar Grove Middle. She was in the magnet program at both Cedar Grove and Southwest. The teachers have been exceptional. My daughter has maintained 4.0 average the four years in attendance at Southwest. She is graduating this year and I feel that she has been well prepared to venture into her college experience thanks to the teachers and administration of Southwest.

Posted January 11, 2009
this is a terible school the safety is horrible the teachers are worse and the princple Mr. prince is scared of every student there overall this school could be much better

Southwest Dekalb High School 3

Posted May 02, 2008
I graduated from Swd in 2007. Since i was in the magnet program i really can not comment on the other classes ,but i can review the school in general.The administration needs help, there are a few exceptions but overall a lot of people need to lose their jobs. As a student i always felt like they looked at me as a bad apple, they look at every student that way and expect every student to be up to no good.A lot of teachers are subpar aswell, but in conclusion if i had kids i wouldnt them there but if i had no other choice i wouldn't be greatly upset.

Southwest Dekalb High School 4

Posted March 30, 2008
great school my daughter had a great time and excelled, would recommend. it's better than chamblee because i sent my daughter there and she hated it. they would try to throw her out if she got a c and thats crazy, give a child some time to grow!!!

Posted March 28, 2008
This is an excellent school my daughter graduated in 2005 with great accomplishments and is about to graduate from college.My son is a student there now and has received great honors for academic achievements .

2863 Kelley Chapel Rd, Decatur, GA  30034
(678) 874-1902
Last modified Southwest Dekalb High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Southwest Dekalb High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top