Decatur, GA

Posted August 03, 2013
The student to teacher ratio is more like 21-23 to 1. The principal is not active at all, she seems unhappy to be there. The school is more concerned about explaining Title 1 and their greek affiliation than actually working with the parents and providing a better learning enviroment for the students. A perfect example of a school that just pushes students through the system while doing as little as possible.

Posted November 14, 2012
Rainbow used to be a community school, where their main purpose was to educate students so that they can be productive citizens in this not so stable economy. Now the school has turned into a circus of a show with a ringmaster that is cruel to the animals (education). More concerned on what the school looks like than the production of passing test scores and student success. How can a school who has not had passing test scores in the last three years not be monitored. Which brings me to another point Dekalb County does not care about it's students demographically, south dekalb region students are left with the scraps, huh and they say racism dead, oh no its now they just have a way of hiding it...Falcon Rise Up, no PARENTS RISE UP AND STAND UP FOR YOUR CHILD!

Posted February 10, 2011
I agree with the previous parent. This school's administration is horrible. The teachers seem to be more interested in what the child has on and what their hair looks like than teaching. With the exception of a few teachers they need to clean house and maybe Rainbow can improve.

Rainbow Elementary School 2

Posted June 14, 2010
This school truely needs an over haul.The staff in the office are really not friendly .They are not organized and this starts with the management their. They have this attitude when you enter the office of why are you here.I am so happy that i do not have to deal with them anymore. The district needs to take a look there.

Posted May 07, 2007
I think that Rainbow elementary is the best schools in it's district. My daughter is in the first grade, and I am very pleased with the way she is challenged. Her teacher is very involved and cares about her students' academic progression. Whenever there is a concern the Principal is willing to sit down and address it. I have made several unannounced visits to the school, and each time I am impressed with what I see. Every one, from the teachers to the library staff encourage the students to strive for excellence. Parents are encouraged to get involved with their child's education. Rainbow has no complaints from me or my daughter. I am looking forward to my other children attending.

Rainbow Elementary School 3

Posted February 21, 2007
My children both attend this school. I must agree with one of the other parents...the atmosphere has changed over the few years my children have been there. It's a very cold environment now. The office has always been cold to me, but at least I felt as if I was at least wanted in the building once leaving the office and my help and volunteering was appreciated. Most schools welcome inveloved and active parents-it seems discouraged here. There are some bright spots among the staff that I look forward to seeing...academically, it's been a challenge, which can be good...looking forward to May, though.

Posted October 11, 2005

Rainbow Elementary School 4

Posted October 10, 2005
My child have been at Rainbow for three years. she started in Kindergarten and presently now in the third grade. You have strong and weak teachers in all school systems. I can say the strong out weigh the weak. My child is challenge everday to do her best and to be an all around student. I can say that I am very pleased academic wise with Rainbow Elementary School. There are a few staff members in the front office that could use some attitude adjustments. That's something I know the principal must be aware. It sadden me that parents still have the old state of mind. 'That the teachers job not mind. That's what they get paid for.' So I can say only 20% parent involvment at Rainbow. Plenty of extracurricular activity is offered.

Rainbow Elementary School 3

Posted February 19, 2005
My children (one still remains) have come through this school, starting when Martha Snelling was principal. Since her retirement/departure, many things have changed. Serious consideration is being given to remove the one child remaining. The personable atmosphere has gone, and the 'business only' approach to education has grown distasteful and unrewarding. Recently, PTA and an awards ceremony were combined, herding students, parents, school officials etc. into the unfurnished gymnasium like cattle. Literally, there was standing room only. While trying to address professional, educational, and state standards, educators seemingly have forgotten the needs of those they truly serve--the students. Too much is at stake. There must be a better approach to address the academic needs of students. The 'object' of education is lost in the business approach and meeting standards modes.

Posted March 29, 2004
My son has attended this school for three years. I am very pleased with the acedemics and how well the teachers interact with the students. This is due to having such a great leader, Dr. Roberts, There has not been a time when I have visited this school (I am there at least 3 times a week) and did not see the presence of the principal. She is always visible, in the office, hallway or even in the classrooms. This school is a school of excellence and in my opinion the best school in DeKalb County. I would like to thank Dr. Roberts and her staff for a job well done. Keep up the good work!

Rainbow Elementary School
2801 Kelley Chapel Rd, Decatur, GA  30034
Last modified Rainbow Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Rainbow Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top