Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

These teachers work hard with the resources they have and genuinely care about their students.

Teachers are caring, parents are involved - this is a great school! The student body is diverse and while the buildings are old & could stand being replaced, the learning that is going on inside these walls is great!!

The faculty, staff, and community at Laurel Ridge are all very supportive and welcoming. The traditional, special needs, and honor students can simultaneously interact with one another and be challenged in the classroom. The art, music, and club opportunities at the School are pluses, too. Furthermore, the faculty-run aftercare program also sponsors an optional summer camp program for the kids enrolled at the School, which is fun, safe, and educational. The PTA, along with the school administration, are all doing things to make Laurel Ridge the best possible learning environment for the students. Overall, Laurel Ridge is a 'good' school because there are ways the vast majority of schools can improve, and Laurel ridge is not an exception. Although Laurel Ridge has a diverse student body and academic culture, they still have yet to incorporate technology (i.e. regular use of computers to complement learning) or a foreign language as part of the curriculum. The 'shortcoming' I mentioned could very well be more about Dekalb County's school system than specifically about Laurel Ridge, but whoever can make such a decision, I hope they consider the benefits of including technology and foreign language to the 21st century learning environment.

Worst public school experience ever. My 7 yo cries everyday and she has loved school up until this point. Will homeschool next year if we are still in this zone. Do not send your babies here unless 50% is good enough for you. It's not for me. Laurel ridge and dekalb as a whole needs to get it together.

The school and teachers do a great job teaching the core curriculum. The computer access has significantly improved the last couple of years, and Dr. Lyman does a great job teaching the kids music. If the school were given a certain amount of support, I would like to see them be able to introduce a foreign language or two as either a specialty or an afterschool club. All in all, this is a great neighborhood school in the shadows of the Tuckers, Oak Groves, City Schools of Decaturs, and Fernbanks of the world. Too bad DeKalb County has to make decisions regarding its future.

Laurel Ridge is a great school... The principle Ms Kyle is very involved in trying to make this a GREAT school. The teachers are all very approachable and responsive. I personally LOVE the small size of our school and the love and caring that my child receives...

I left Laurel Ridge E.S. in 1965, yes....1965!!! Grades 1-7th. 8th grade was at Druid Hills H.S. Harold O'Quinn was the principal of Laurel Ridge when I went there. Shetland Drive was all woods and we would walk home. I don't expect kids walk like we did. Everyone from Willivee around to the homes off of Lawrenceville Hwy. would all gather on the weekend and play ball. There were two ball fields at the time, both sand lots, but we had fun, our teachers cared about us and it was a good experience. I wish my kids had the opportunity to go to as good a school as Laurel Ridge!

I love this school!! My son has learned so much. This school really cares for the students and encourages parents to be involved in the school. I couldn't ask for my child to be at a better school than this one!!

Amazing school. We were at Cliff Valley for 5 years and this school leaves us surprised at how well rounded a public school can be. My daughter is receiving a real education and we couldn't be happier.

I like the teachers because they are nice and friendly. However, this year there is a new intern who troubles me. She never smile and always looks angry. She makes me feel uncomfortable

Last modified Laurel Ridge Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.