Posted September 18, 2014
DHMS has exceeded my expectations and my son is clearly learning and happy there. He is in 7th grade. When he was mildly bullied at the beginning of 6th grade I informed his teachers. They responded in a way that was both effective and sensitive... and enrolled the bully in a sensitivity program. The "bully" came up to my son and gave him a sincere apology 10 days later, and the two have been good friends ever since. Amazing! Middle schoolers can and will be mean, but the school's response was stellar. I have been very impressed by the new principal Jackie Taylor and the team system has been great for my son. The "connections" classes (French, Music, etc) have also broadened his horizons. I think DHMS is an excellent middle school.

Posted September 18, 2014
This is a really good school, contrary to what a select few say, as well as many people who have never set foot in the front door. My daughter is a straight A student and still feels challenged.

Posted September 17, 2014
So far we have been very impressed with the new Principal, Ms. Taylor and what she has been doing for this school. She took over last year (2013) and already we see change in the air! As two Doctoral level parents, we strongly feel education the key to the future of our children and the foundation of, well, everything. I personally am on a mission to get more parents involved and really make this school great.

Posted September 17, 2014
Druid Hills Middle (DHMS) has had several years of excellent principals and very active parent/PTO involvement, a proven formula for success. DHMS is one of the most diverse schools in the nation, offers IB pathway, and broad extracurricular offerings. The campus, a former high school, has ample athletic fields, one of the best cross country courses in the metro area. Counselors, special education are outstanding. While middle school years are rough at all schools, DHMS has something to offer each child, keep them busy, educate them, and hopefully have some fun along the way. Look out for the annual Ossabaw Island marine science trip at Skidaway/MAREX facility near Savannah each year.

Druid Hills Middle School 4

Posted September 17, 2014
My school is diverse. The teachers are nice. The trip to Ossabaw in 7th grade was awesome. The Beta Club trips are fun. In 8th grade there are opportunities to take some classes for high school credit.

Posted September 17, 2014
Druid Hills Middle School serves an incredibly diverse population (demographically, educationally) with the limitations inherent in many of our nation's school districts (finances, politics, large central offices). One of my children is now at the high school and my other child is in 7th grade. They received an excellent education, academically challenging and grounded in the real world. Is everything perfect? Of course not. Its middle school so, inherently, it can never be perfect. There are some great teachers but no school has only great teachers (its as true here as it is at an Ivy League school). And, while I am cautious about over-relying on test results, I can see from the results for my children that they have learned much. Leadership is strong. Principal Taylor is in her second year, having spent a number of years as the AP both at the middle school and Druid Hills High School. She is also a parent so she is attuned to the constant challenges arising in middle school. At the end of the day, I judge a school by whether my children are happy, educationally challenged and well prepared for the world in which they live. On these criteria, DHMS does the job.

Druid Hills Middle School 4

Posted September 17, 2014
Druid Hills Middle has an excellent group of teachers who really go out of their way to make this school a better place. Although my children moved onward and upward several years ago, teachers who had them frequently ask about them by name when I meet them. The new principal, Jackie Taylor, has been an acknowledged leader in our feeder pattern for several years, and she is a real proponent for getting new parents involved. DHMS brings together kids from an astounding variety of social, ethnic, and racial backgrounds and does a good job of motivating all of the students.

Druid Hills Middle School 1

Posted June 13, 2014
Don't waste your child's time with this school. The program is thoroughly unchallenging to a driven student. Much of the student body and even a few teachers are wholly unmotivated. Even the gifted and high achiever classes can be out of control due to lack of administrative support and effective discipline. Due to the lack of control, any students who truly want to learn are required little effort to maintain stellar grades. Such students are also in danger of ridicule from their peers, just for trying hard. In my time at DHMS, I made straight A's with little or no effort learned little. Some students were entirely ugly to me simply because of who I am, the grades I earned, and the recognition I received from teachers. My personal experience in my two years at DHMS tells me that this is not the way a school is meant to be. I have attended public school all my life and DHMS is by far the worst. Lack of funding does not merit lack of effort, nor is fist fighting, verbal violence and other ugliness among students acceptable. If you are a parent and are considering sending you child to this school, I sincerely urge you to consider any other options. --A former student

Posted June 04, 2014
Druid Hills Middle School serves a diverse population with a wide range of student capabilities. As other reviewers have noted, the Accelerated Math and Carnegie foreign language instruction is excellent (the 8th grade Accelerated Math class had a 100% EOCT passing rate on a test that only 37% of Georgia students pass). Teachers in other areas are good to excellent with the occasional teacher who is not (and I challenge any school to demonstrate that 100% of their teachers are great). Discipline has improved over the last few years as the school system's poorly executed merger of another middle school into DHMS has now run its course. And, there is new leadership in the building which both the faculty and parent population support.

Druid Hills Middle School 2

Posted May 09, 2014
My child is a straight A student my other child has won prestigious awards and attends a rather prestigious college. i have tried all of my life to be a good parent. My child had a sick period and they called a social worker on me. I don't think i deserved that. Teachers clump up and grade together, i don't understand how everyone gets around the same grade for the same child. The AP was threatening towards us for almost running over a cone. The health teacher called and was extremely belligerent scarily so. Sometimes i wonder if this is a nest of substance abusers or crazies.

Druid Hills Middle School
3100 Mount Olive Dr, Decatur, GA  30033
Last modified Druid Hills Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Druid Hills Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 61 reviews. Top