Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

Druid Hills Middle School is a great place for kids to learn and successfully make the transition from elementary into high school. We have our 2nd of 3 kids there now, and can attest to a solid, challenging learning environment, especially in the Gifted program. DHMS is a very diverse school, which in my opinion, is part of a key learning for our kids that others miss out on when opting for private school or move to far out suburban schools. Principal Jackie Taylor is a strong leader, willing to work with parents and her staff to make the best learning environment possible.

There's a lot of bullying there, that the teachers never really know about. I'm currently in 8th grade and the counselors don't really seem happy to help me, but rather shoo me out and don't call me back. Some of the students seem to not have the best behavior, and the teachers don't usually handle that well. But in the topic of education, the teachers give good lessons, and I feel knowing some of what I know is completely necessary for a successful future. But I also believe students should have a safe learning environment where they can focus solely on their progress rather than facing problems on the campus.

Develops character: Strongly agree

When either of my children have ever encountered a social or an academic dilemma, teachers and counselors have handled the situation beautifully. Each of the three counselors is wonderful.

My second child is now almost done with her first semester at DHMS. Her experience has been nothing short of fabulous. The academics, the organizational skills and personal responsibility, and social and world awareness she's developing are truly invaluable. She's made so many new friends from different elementary schools and both she and I adore the vast majority of her teachers. As for the principal, I concur with other reviewers: Mrs. Taylor is as good as principals come - she is a rock star in the eyes of students and parents!

DHMS has exceeded my expectations and my son is clearly learning and happy there. He is in 7th grade. When he was mildly bullied at the beginning of 6th grade I informed his teachers. They responded in a way that was both effective and sensitive... and enrolled the bully in a sensitivity program. The "bully" came up to my son and gave him a sincere apology 10 days later, and the two have been good friends ever since. Amazing! Middle schoolers can and will be mean, but the school's response was stellar. I have been very impressed by the new principal Jackie Taylor and the team system has been great for my son. The "connections" classes (French, Music, etc) have also broadened his horizons. I think DHMS is an excellent middle school.

This is a really good school, contrary to what a select few say, as well as many people who have never set foot in the front door. My daughter is a straight A student and still feels challenged.

So far we have been very impressed with the new Principal, Ms. Taylor and what she has been doing for this school. She took over last year (2013) and already we see change in the air! As two Doctoral level parents, we strongly feel education the key to the future of our children and the foundation of, well, everything. I personally am on a mission to get more parents involved and really make this school great.

Druid Hills Middle (DHMS) has had several years of excellent principals and very active parent/PTO involvement, a proven formula for success. DHMS is one of the most diverse schools in the nation, offers IB pathway, and broad extracurricular offerings. The campus, a former high school, has ample athletic fields, one of the best cross country courses in the metro area. Counselors, special education are outstanding. While middle school years are rough at all schools, DHMS has something to offer each child, keep them busy, educate them, and hopefully have some fun along the way. Look out for the annual Ossabaw Island marine science trip at Skidaway/MAREX facility near Savannah each year.

My school is diverse. The teachers are nice. The trip to Ossabaw in 7th grade was awesome. The Beta Club trips are fun. In 8th grade there are opportunities to take some classes for high school credit.

Druid Hills Middle has an excellent group of teachers who really go out of their way to make this school a better place. Although my children moved onward and upward several years ago, teachers who had them frequently ask about them by name when I meet them. The new principal, Jackie Taylor, has been an acknowledged leader in our feeder pattern for several years, and she is a real proponent for getting new parents involved. DHMS brings together kids from an astounding variety of social, ethnic, and racial backgrounds and does a good job of motivating all of the students.

Last modified Druid Hills Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.