South Paulding High School

Public | 9-12

Posted March 20, 2014

I have one student who attended 4 yrs and another who is a freshman. My kids really like their teachers, especially in the Honors classes. The communication with the teachers is better than I expected, they always answer emails within a reasonable time. I like that in the beginning of the year they let parents know of volunteer opportunities, quite rare at the high school level. We love being of our Spartan Nation.

Posted February 4, 2014

Great school, caring community. I choice my student there as it is a great environment.

Posted August 9, 2012

I am a regular substitute teacher at South. I also have an 11th grader there as well. He has been all 3 years of high school at South. I love the staff here, and they love our children. I have seen first hand how much parent involvement is critical. Even before I started subbing there, I always have went to open house, emailed the teachers on a weekly basis, to check in, and keep up with grades on parent portal. Its takes everyone, hand in hand, teachers, students, and parents, to make it work. For every parent that has an issue with the way things are handled at school, my advice is to spend an entire day at the school. Going through the schedule with your child. You have no idea what "really" goes on until you spent time in the classroom, lunchroom, halls, etc. I think the staff goes above and beyond to make sure all the kids are following rules, passing their classes, and getting the most they have to offer out of high school. I wouldn't have my child anywhere else. Private nor home school.

Posted January 24, 2010

This school may have a few flaws but what school doesn't? My 10th grade year South Paulding was up and running for the first time, and I was redistricted to go there. I was skeptical at first, but I began to love it. Some teachers that work there are a bit off, but you can really tell who works and pushes their students to succeed without giving up. I've gotten into trouble a few times at South Paulding, but I continued to enjoy the school. My senior year was amazing. They may not have what a lot of other bigger schools have, but it's only because it's still growing. They are definitely improving at a fast rate. The principal actually cares what the students think and the decisions that she makes are very thorough.

Posted July 6, 2009

I didn't care for this school at all! I finished my last two years here and it was horrible!! The only thing that I loved about it was a few teachers who really cared about the students and the counselors

Posted June 14, 2009

South Paulding is a great school for the most part. There are some great leaders in the school who care so much about the children-that's where it all starts-at the top. Ms. Fraker is very accomodating to the parents and will work with you to meet your needs. Ms. Vickers is always there when I needed her. I think she was a cousilor before being a principal, but she once said that she is a cousilor at heart and I believe that! She had definitely given my child some tough love. That's exactly what he needed. Ms. Moyer is dynamic! She is so sweet and works so hard. I really think this school is a top notch school. They will be successful because of the faculty and staff care so much about the students and it shows!!!!

Posted March 26, 2009

We have a daughter who has a 4.0 and takes ap classes and honors classes and for the 3 years she has attended school there we have gotten around 20 automatic calls from the school stating she either was not in attendance or tardy(they were all in error). The system is seriously flawed! It is causing a lot of frustration for us. Maybe they can check out their facts first before waisting their calls on students who are exceling and stressing out their parents!

Posted March 17, 2009

Personaly i love this school! It is a great learning enviroment for me and my friends and i have alot of fun with all of the activities we do as a school! (:

Posted March 2, 2009

This is a great school! Has good princable and staff. The only thing concernes me about this school is it is alittle too sporty, but that's really not a problem!

Posted January 16, 2009

Most of the teachers dont know how to control a class room. They dont know how to deal with the problems some students bring up. The senior project is the most rideculous thing they could make us students do.

Posted November 17, 2008

Classrooms out of control, parents issues go unheard and kids not being prepared for college life. Private or homeschool from now on for my family.

Posted November 7, 2008

I am impressed with the administration and teachers at South Paulding High School (SPHS). I have an 11th grader attending and she has been enrolled since the school opened. The school is only 3 or 4 years old and is still very clean. My husband and I toured the school last spring, and he commented how clean the boys restrooms were kept. I met a teacher who took the time to answer several questions for me. I will say that I was concerned earlier this year because my child did not have an English teacher until recently. I do not know where the school found this teacher, but he is just great. He discussed his plans to help the students adjust to having full-time teacher, how he will make sure the class will catch up with the others, and we both are impressed with his experience and willingness to teach.

Posted September 18, 2008

We have been with th SPHS for just over a year. They were very helpful with transferring records from out of state; although his Algebra course from a suburrd of Washington DC did not transfer. SPHS has been great with working with his learning disability. The school generally does not have homework, which is county wide, and I do not think this prepares the students for college. Although it does help keep my sons' grade up! The teachers have been helpful and my son is enjoying school, probably for the first time.

Posted April 15, 2008

I think the school does a wonderful job for the most part. However, The 'Senior Projects' should be optional, since they are doing as a judged contest for scholarships. They should not be a requirement to be able to 'Walk' in graduation. Students have already earned that right by earning the required credits, and passing the graduation test!

Posted January 8, 2008

I don't know what South Paulding High School the others are talking about. This has got to be the worst school I have ever had to deal with. I have two sophomores at the school this year and am so disappointed that I am currently seeking out other school. The office staff is super friendly and helpful, but they are limited as to what authority they have over other staff and teachers. [My] daughter has tested a genius, but is struggling in school. She has little to no classroom instruction due to the disorderly conduct of the other students. Needs big changes.

Posted September 18, 2007

I am a parent of a student at SPHS and I truly love it. They do care about my student and want him to succeed. I am proud to be a part of the SPHS family.

Posted May 4, 2007

South Paulding is too over protective of a schhol. They treat us like children and gives usno freedon what so ever. Sports are not a priority and neither is school lunches! Its terrible!

Posted March 23, 2007

There is a dynamic principal in Paulding County Schools, Dr. Kim Fraker! She is so fair and consistent with both the teachers and students. I value, respect, and appreciate her leadership, and enjoy working with her. If you're in search of a great school, check out South Paulding High School in Douglasvile, GA! There are so many awesome, devoted teachers there too - offering a First Class Education! SPHS is off to a great start with a great faculty and staff! The front office staff is the friendliest I've ever encountered too! What a great environment to walk into! Everything about SPHS makes it a great place to learn, work, and grow!
—Submitted by a staff

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

392 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

395 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

394 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

395 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

376 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

343 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

344 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

372 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

359 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

241 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

353 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

294 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1364 Winn Rd