Posted April 16, 2014
Charter School of the Year 2014. My son has attended this school since K. We got in through the lottery system. It has been a great experience. The administration is caring, involved, and really tries to make learning fun. My experience is that all are treated equal! This school is by far the best option in Douglas county for Elementary and Middle school. My second son will start K next year and we are happy to be a Brighten Family.

Brighten Academy 3

Posted November 07, 2013
Brighten Academy is an OK school, the hype of everyone wanting to get their child in, has a lot of individual thinking it has to be an awesome school. I have 2 children that attend B.A., I'm active every week volunteering. As far as I can see by volunteering very few of the teachers there genuinely cares. But some of the teachers aren't as caring and loving as they seem on the first day/week. Yes, there's favoritism going on there also mostly the teachers children. The administration is easy to deal with but unorganized. As for as my son's teacher, she's an OK teacher but a little lazy gives students very little of her attention, she seems out of it sometimes. I like my daughter's teacher she's active, alert, and a great teacher.

Posted September 18, 2013
I have worked at Brighten Academy ASP program for 5 years, and I have found the teachers at Brighten to be very loving and caring. I have also watched the Principal with the students, and I love the way she interacts with the students. There is always something exciting going on at Brighten. It's a great place to work or attend school.

Posted July 21, 2013
favoritism is the goal of this school. Teachers should be fair to every student regardless of color, gender or ethnic group. thank you. hope fully they will change for better future. especially especially teachers.

Brighten Academy 3

Posted February 20, 2013
I give Brighten 3 stars because i went there for 4 years and when I left, they were still very unorganized. Many of my teachers were rude to me on a daily basis. They had an extreme amount of favoritism towards students, especially with students whose parents also worked at the school. I loved 5th grade, but middle school was horrible. I am glad I decided not to go into the IB program, because all of my friends that did were highly unprepared and need/have tutors. I have 4 friends who have dropped out of the IB program because they felt unprepared and were failing the majority of their classes. They have an unstable staff and administration. Th only reason my mom allowed me to continue going to Brighten was because I wanted to continue my friendships with my peers.

Posted September 19, 2012
I am currently a freshman in high school, in the Pre-IB Program. I attended this school since it began, and I was just in 3rd Grade. I must say, this school prepared me so well. Sure, the campus is a little small, but the teaching quality is excellent and I recommend it to children of all ages. The staff is caring and kind and they do all that they can to ensure that their students achieve greatness. If you're a parent and you want your child to go to a safe, kind school that also provides an incredible education, Brighten is the way to go. If you have a child who is interested in AP or IB courses in high school, their middle school is exceptional. Douglas County High School, housing the IB Program, knows who Brighten is, and Brighten has a very high acceptance rate into that program. I do not regret 1 day of the six years I spent at that school.

Posted August 02, 2012
My children went to Brighten -let me say the school is not so Bright.The staff is in particular very unprofessional,they are inconsistent with their discipline,They have these 7 C's that are a joke. There in No P.E, no real Music, No real Art,,just because its Charted does not mean it is always better.They hire unqualified, deaf teachers ,really hearing imparied,for middle schoolers. As a family we constantly felt the pressure to donate money,and felt belittled if we didnt give as much as the other families,whom were given apples on a tree for the whole school to see. Education is not their first priority.I know I am jumping all around,but sorry its the truth, the playground,what playground, a old basketball court held down with a giant rock and dirt in a circle also its the parking lot,the tiny lunchroom is the gymnasium,but the kindegartan room is the biggest by far!The parents are the janitors for volunteer hours wether working full time or not.But if you want to volunteer and work for the county they require a statewide background check. and want you to pay for it,to chaparone,its halarious,unless your VIP in the click WHITE.

Brighten Academy 2

Posted March 12, 2012
My child has attended this school for 3 years and it has progressively decreased in terms of standards.They are very good on educating in math, language arts and some science but lack in other areas. The uniform code is not enforced with some, but overly enforced with others; the same goes with the discipline code and the tardy policy. They do have their favorites and they do not hide it. In the younger grades you are encouraged to volunteer in the classroom and the teachers welcome you, but the older they get they less they want you in their classroom and prefer your money and sweat for your 15 hrs in volunteer credit, if you work fulltime you can forget it. Because of a lack of funding they ask you for money weekly and you are pressured to give it. I would equate it to a percentage of private school tution without signing a contract. They lack true afterschool activities and you are charged monthly for the ones you elect. They are truly lacking in art, band and PE- No real playground, outside toys to play with or musical instruments. This school does not make your child a well rounded individual because there is so much to be desired socially.

Posted November 29, 2011
I am writing about our experience of Brighten, we have moved away now from Douglasville, and wish we could go back, or Brighten and its teachers and staff could come to us. Our children loved their school and therefore as parents, we loved it to. They couldn't wait to get to school every morning and that showed in their attendance records and their learning. The teachers were fabulous and very committed to helping our children, the standard of education was huge leaps ahead of the local county schools which we experienced first. Our kids loved their 'special classes'. We, as parents, loved the extra curricular 7 C's which the children worked really hard on. A school for me, is not just not a school or a place of childcare, its a place of education where I can know my children will be safe and cared for, we trust the staff 100%, therefore we would recommend this school to you all. Thank you Brighten Staff for everything you have done for our children, they had a great start to their elementary education and we hope they will carry their values you taught them and experience with them always.

Posted November 28, 2011
Bad experience with this school which became progressively worse the longer we stayed (years). Children as young as five and six are suspended, even if they are only reacting to bullies, but the bullies get to stay. A majority of teachers who label and ignore both students and parents. Administration which doesn't listen to the majority of parents, but rather to a small group of them. Constantly low on funds equals constant pressure on parents to give money or feel guilty and be ostracized. Huge gaps in learning, too much focus on testing. Advanced classes that are a joke, slower classes which are worse. Cliques among teachers, administration, and parents. No cooking facilities, must bring a lunch that meets their standards (no microwaving, no carbonation, no sweets), or buy the food that is shipped in from another school. Tiny play area that can't support all the children. Uniform code that isn't enforced, and which is allowably skipped at least twice a week (per administration), even though uniform wearing was one of their big selling points. Only a few children are their actual priority; the rest are on their own. Skip this school.

Brighten Academy
3264 Brookmont Pkwy, Douglasville, GA  30135
Last modified Brighten Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Brighten Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 285 reviews. Top