Duluth Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 1924 students

Posted July 28, 2014

The teachers are mean, the students are mean, teachers don't see or hear when the kids swear, "twerk", grind on eachother. It's disgusting. Not to mention the fact that teachers can't see bullying. Also, when the really bad kids do bad things, teachers do nothing! Terrible school. Friends are kind of hard to make since many students are stuck up and don't make new students feel welcome. The only thing I like about this school is when the day is over.

Posted June 15, 2014

We have had a great experience at DMS. Middle school years are tough and challenging. My daughter has done really well at DMS with the support of her wonderful teachers in a challenging & stimulating environment. The Fine Arts Program is amazing!!! Teachers have always responded very quickly to emails and also encourage students to approach them with any concerns. Stay involved in the school environment & with what your kids are doing. DMS is a great place to learn & grow! :)

Posted June 14, 2014

DMS is a great place to be. It has a truly diverse student body, which really helps kids understand the REAL world around them. They carry excellent test scores and have great clubs/programs here. Even better, they recently acquired new orchestra and theatre teachers - both are award winning professionals in their fields and they really turned those programs around for the BEST! This will be an AMAZING place for your child, if they involve themselves in the fine arts or other programs here, but always...just be involved! The school really welcomes that :-)

Posted September 16, 2013

My daughter came from an excellent school experience at Berkeley Lake Elementary School so we had similar high hopes for Duluth Middle. We were so disappointed! The teaching here leaves much to be desired. My child had a mix of probe/reg-ed classes and I can't really say that one was better than the other as far as the quality of teaching. My daughter was left to self-teach and we even hired a tutor to help. She would do excellent in classwork only to fail the test that didn't cover the classwork material. Many conversations with the various teachers to find out the reason my child would get a 90 on one test and then a 50 on the next one. One of the teachers even said that is normal and expected? What? The leadership is also sorely under-involved and it shows. The PTA is pratically non-existent there. Another shock coming from a school with an extremely strong PTA. Needless to say, we pulled her out of DMS and placed her in the Gwinnett Online Campus where she is now thriving in a wonderful environment. Needless to say, I'll really think long and hard when it comes time for my other daughter to attend middle school and the options that are available other than DMS.

Posted August 24, 2013

I am very impressed with Duluth Middle school. The teachers are passionate about teaching students. The admin staff is wonderful and does a great job to ensure that the school runs smoothly. My child enjoys getting up each morning and going to school. She speaks highly of each teacher and always compliments them on their teaching methods and dedications to each student.

Posted August 13, 2013

How is it I pay 3000+ dollars in tax dollars to live in this school district and my tiny 6th grader doesn't even have access to a locker? Back pack weighs upwards of 25 pounds. MAKES NO SENSE. if anything the younger kids should not be hauling this weight around.

Posted May 31, 2013

The school has great teachers and students. The administration does not seem to have a clue though about anything. A new program every year and careless attitude towards discipline, Hopefully the principal will change soon and Duluth MS will be back to being a great school.

Posted May 3, 2013

My son went to this school for 3 years and he has never been in trouble. He gets in trouble for something that was not as bad as what other kids have been doing all year. Its not sitting good with me. He did is punishment why punish him more by missing his fun day at school. This is a sad way to remember a school that you been going to for 3 years. I am sadden for these students who are good an try. This school need to redo there school rules because i am not the only parent who feels this way and i find it wrong and unfair.

Posted May 2, 2013

I have been at DMS for two years now, and it is one of my favorite schools ever. The teachers are nice, administrators keep the school controlled, and the school overall is wonderful. Great for anyone looking to have fun while learning.

Posted February 2, 2013

I say this school is really nice. Just average. Some teachers are mindless, but I know many teachers that are fun! And some of you people are wrong. Bullying is the #1 thing that our school HATES. I've seen repeated amounts of videos about bullying. They CARE for the children. The health classes are great also. If you have a problem, the school counselor is there for you. The principal is great. Some teachers are superb! And yes, lunches taste have gone somewhat downhill in the beginning of 2013. I am a student. Some students are mean.But the drama has gone a bit down. I was an outcast before, but many friends came to me after a year or so. Just couldn't find people with my interests. I rarely see my friends since they are in probe. They are really working hard for their education. I just find my friends so amazing. But we have an annual events, like walk - n - talks, socials, movie events. I

Posted August 12, 2012

My child went to DMS for three years and we were happy there. I was really surprised to read the other opinion about bullies. One of the things we liked so much about DMS is that so many of the students, even the non-PROBE students, are academically ambitious. My own child was not in PROBE. He had told me that the bullies there were looked down upon by the general population and that they became the outcasts. But that was a couple of years ago. I do know that it's the only middle school which feeds into Duluth High School, and DHS was just rated, by U.S. Magazine, to be the #1 public school in Gwinnett County and the 4th ranking public high school in the state of Georgia. So that tells you something. My child went to DMS on a permissive transfer. We drove him 20+ minutes one way to school, and back again. It was worth it because I wanted him to be in an environment where the students value learning. Now I'm proud to say that he's a student at DHS where, again, the students are college-minded kids interested in making wise choices for themselves. BTW, To other GA parents, GA has laws against bullying. If your child is being bullied, you have a legal recourse.

Posted July 9, 2012

I'm currently a student at Duluth Middle and will be studying there for another year. Our school may not be the best ranked in academics, but it's not that bad and overall, I feel pretty safe in this school. Teachers- Well, it depends what teachers you have. Like students, different teachers will have different ranges of knowledge however, in the probe program, personally, I feel like the teachers absolutely know what they're doing and have the ability to be able to explain everything well. Also, the teachers in our school teach in their own unique ways making it so that students will actually remember what is taught to them. Behavior/Discipline- Well, obviously, in any school, there will be kids that misbehave and kids that are very well behaved. In our school, I think the biggest problem in behavior of students is the respect for others. They will sometimes make rude comments. Fortunately, most teachers are able to handle these children and teach them to behave better in the future. To sum up, I think Duluth Middle School is not a bad school, and whether you do well depends on yourself. I think kids will like going here.

Posted May 9, 2012

The problems at DMS start with the students and are not corrected by the teachers or administration. My child is a student who has been bullied. It was reported, and what did the administration do? Ask my child what he/she did to provoke the bullying. Bullying is such a problem at this school that I know of 3 students (mine included) that won't be returning, choosing to be home schooled or taking courses online instead! Wake up DMS! Bullying is a serious problem which this school's teachers and administration continue to ignore. Please, be proactive - do something to protect our children. They have the right to feel safe at school!

Posted February 5, 2012

I am an 8th grade student, and I have been going to duluth for a year and a half. I have read alot of the reviews and i believe that most of them are untrue. The PROBE courses are amazing and i love all of them. It is true that alot of the teachers are requiring the students to self teach, but all that really means is that the teachers are MAKING thhe student read their textbook at home instead of school. Then the next day the teachers go over the chapter that was assigned and asks the stu/dents if they have any questions. In all honestly the sports teams here are terrible, but this is school, where you learn. If someone wanted to play a sport they could always go to a club, which is usuually cheaper than school sports anyways. We don't get to choose our classes, but no one ever seems to mind it much. The lunches used to be decent, but they have gone downhill this year. Cursing isn't only done by students here, but it can be found everywhere. We are teenagers and I can promise you that foul language can be found in every middle school.I absolutely love going to DMS and I think your kid(s) will too.

Posted February 1, 2012

I think that your opinion of Duluth Middle really depends on which classes you re in.. If you are in PROBE, it is generally a good school. Not the best, but its not too bad. I m in PROBE classes and it s pretty challenging at times (I m in 7th grade). What I don t always like is that in PROBE, the students usually have to learn on their own instead of the teacher teaching it. For example, we have hw on a completely new topic and then we review it in class. I don t really like that. The regular classes are HORRIBLE. Trust me, if you re a regular student you do NOT want to go here. In this case, it is a very bad school. The teachers don t even care if kids curse. Also the school is EXTREMELY cheap and the lunches are horrible. In general, if you are not in PROBE classes DMS isn t a good school for you. The basketball team is bad, and so is the lacrosse team. The cross-country team is just for fun. sports are not worth it here. Once again, its only mediocre IF YOU ARE IN PROBE.

Posted November 15, 2011

I'm an 8th grader here at this school and being here for for almost 3 months now I can honestly say that the students here are mean and they cuss and are very innapropiate my old school was better and really wish I could go back to my old school.

Posted October 13, 2011

I think some people rate this school just for its reputation. sure we won Academic Bowl and all that stuff, thats good, but it has nothing to do with the rest of the school. like the students that are in Reg Ed...and the teachers who dont actually teach; ex. my math teacher. she just tell us what to do and we fill out blanks in this note-taking guide. but she never actually TEACHES. its usually the case where we have to self-learn or get some help from our friends. and the students behavior is atrocious. they cuss and get into fights and ignore the teachers instructions. they disrupt the classroom and attract attention to themselves. i'd say, all in all, this school isnt the best it could be.
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 17, 2011

I am a student of Duluth Middle School, an 8th grader this year. From my experience, I feel like the academics are challenging and the teachers do their jobs well and interactively with the students. Many students do well at this school and enjoy it. Our principal and A.P.'s strongly encourage working to the best of our abilities, and support the students in their efforts.
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 6, 2010

This has got to be the worst school ever! Most of the reviews say this is a great school since it got so many awards, but here's what really happens. When all those officials come around the school acts like and angel. When those officials leave they let kids cuss. Sometimes you walk in the hall and someone cusses and it's obvious who did it and there are teachers around. Those teachers don't do anything. They just look at the person and then look away. They also hate making trouble for themselves. In my class there's a boy who cusses, walks around during class, and just disrupts the class, but the teacher doesn't do anything, infact sometimes he looks at the boy and laughs! When my mom sent the teacher a note all the teacher said was I talked to the administrater and your daughter can switch to another class. What kind of a teacher says that?! If you have any other alternative to this school, take the other school instead! Don't ruin you child's life!

Posted April 22, 2010

My son started his 8th grade in this school late. We relocated from another state. He was an A+ student, however, that all changed here. The teachers specially one is always picking on him. They need to worry about teaching the student and taking the time for them instead of just complaining.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

670 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

669 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 93% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 95% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 85% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

666 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 97% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

663 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

661 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 82% in 2012.

567 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

84 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

88 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 19% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

• Deborah Fusi
Fax number
  • (770) 232-3295

Staff resources available to students
  • Assistant principal(s)
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Cafeteria
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Sports

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3200 Pleasant Hill Rd