Report this review as inappropriate

« Back to compare
/ / School Profile
Public district
Dunwoody, GA
Students enrolled: 800

Review topics

This is a safe place to share your honest opinions of a school, whether good or bad.  Learn more.

Vanderlyn Elementary School 5

Posted March 05, 2015
- a parent
Our son has been at Vanderlyn for 3 years now, and it has been a great experience for us, especially compared to the (also highly-ranked) public school he previously attended. The teachers are caring, compassionate and dedicated. Academically, he is doing great, although the gifted program is relatively weak (an issue with all public elementary schools in the area, from what I've heard). Our son has ADHD, and each of his teachers has worked with us to help meet his special needs. The administration is supportive, proactive and hard-working. Even though the school building is older, I wouldn't choose any other elementary school in Dekalb county over Vanderlyn.

Vanderlyn Elementary School 5

Posted January 06, 2015
- a parent
My child attends Vanderlyn. The teachers, staff and educational experience is excellent. Vanderlyn needs to be updated and remodeled. However the old rundown school is deceiving. Excellent school despite faculties.

Vanderlyn Elementary School 5

Posted April 28, 2014
- a parent
Vanderlyn is a nice school with good care for kids and education too. Though we are new to country, we had great time with school activities

Vanderlyn Elementary School 2

Posted October 04, 2013
- a parent
Having spent multiple years at Vanderlyn now, I am less enthused than ever. There is a strong micromanaging of the students problem, and more focus is kept on keeping the kids in line and quiet than on positive and engaging interactions. The atmosphere is less than enthusiastic, lunch alone can be a depressing experience. Some of the teachers are great. 25% chance at good to great, 25-50% chance at okay to good, and 25% chance at needs improvement. If we had extra money we would be in private school.

Vanderlyn Elementary School 1

Posted October 02, 2013
- a parent
my kid attended this school for kindergarten.The teacher she had never sent me anything what she was doing at school.On her 2nd day of school ,she sent me a note that she was very slow in writing(with a red sticker on her file). how come they can expect a kindergarten student to write and read like a professional on the 2nd day of her school.rediculous.the school and staff gave us a very bad experience.

Vanderlyn Elementary School 1

Posted September 12, 2012
- a parent
It is not how bad Vanderlyn is, it is how much mothers talk it up for nothing. My kids were set back about a year academically at this school (we moved to another state and my A student at Vanderlyn turned out to be a year behind at our new school). Socially there are a million issues. Over all not a nice experience. There are a few involved moms that do absolutely all of the PTA work at the school while most of the mothers sit back and enjoy the ride! Just awful.

Vanderlyn Elementary School 5

Posted January 05, 2011
- a parent
Vanderlyn is an excellent school with a strong principal. Mr. Maloof has moved away from sending home CRCT practice packets that were so common with the previous principal. Instead, we have a new leveled reading library to boost literacy for children of ALL abilities; math automaticity is his next focus. The building is so much cleaner than it was before AND the new A/C, Heating, and Lighting make the bldg much more pleasant. Hopefully the redistricting will allow us to get rid of the trailers and modulars. The PTA raises almost $100K each year, and is transparent about where the money goes (organic garden, leveled reading library, active boards, etc).

Vanderlyn Elementary School 1

Posted September 13, 2010
- a parent
I recommend Vanderlyn to certain demographics only with certain income levels. My third year with Vanderlyn and I am still waiting to see the goodness everyone speaks of about the school. My Child has learned very little from the school. He was expected to already know everything when he began kindergarten so that the teacher could focus on school plays gatherings etc. My son is still behind for his grade level. Thank Goodness I found Kumon who has taught my son more in 2 months than Vanderlyn has in 3 years. Also the Teachers I have had the experience of meeting are very snobby with grumpy faces. "You can pay people to teach but you cannot pay them to care" This is at the entrance of the school....So true, but why they have it in that school is beyond me at this point.

Vanderlyn Elementary School 1

Posted May 26, 2010
- a parent
I was not impressed with Vanderlyn. My child came home with CRCT study guides that were met with blank stares. It should have been a refresher. I also found that my child was not nearly as prepared as my other child was at their old school (in a 100 different ways). The number of trailers really bothers me. This is a growing community and yet we are saying it's ok that the children don't fit in the school. Moving the 4th and 5th is not enough. A parent tried to tell me that we should feel fortunate to have a mobile campus. Are you kidding me! Let's be real here. I also thought the principal participated in some really corny activities. Every child deserves a solid education. We unfortunately, didn't get that at Vanderlyn. Vanderlyn seriously needs some evaluating. It was not what I considered "premier" at all.

Vanderlyn Elementary School 4

Posted May 25, 2010
- a parent
Vanderlyn continues to excel.. The new principal, Mr. Maloof, is bright, able, energetic and conscientious. My 2 daughters have attended Vanderlyn, they youngest being a rising third grader. Yes, there is emphasis on standardized testing and I am okay with that. Such tests will not go away and the ability to do well on them will pay off in the future along with the solid academic foundation. It already has for our 6th grader who is exceling in a gifted/magnet program. Vanderlyn has always had superior art, music, dance, etc. teachers. No school is perfect. Although Austin recently fared better in test performance, the long-term track record favors Vanderlyn. Let's see the results this year now that the overcrowding has been relieved by the opening of Dunwoody E. S. for 4th and 5th graders. Increase creativity @ home & thr. programs.

Nearby schools

Sign up for email updates

Connect with us

Translate this web page

About GreatSchools

Our mission is to help millions of parents get a great education for their kids. is an independent nonprofit and the leading national source of school information for families. 1999 Harrison Street, Suite 1100, Oakland, CA 94612

©1998-2015 All Rights Reserved. GreatSchools is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization | Ad Choices

Vanderlyn Elementary School
1877 Vanderlyn Dr, Dunwoody, GA  30338
(678) 874-9002
Last modified Vanderlyn Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Vanderlyn Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 32 reviews. Top