Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)

-Former student Of course it has been years since I attended this school, but after reading some reviews it's obvious that the way classrooms are run are the same. I went to this school K - 4th and all five years I had trouble with bullying. None of the staff cared about the fact that I was bullied because my grandparents weren't top donors for the school. I was behind on my academics because no one took the time to help me, and I was even shamed for asking for "extra" help. After I left this school, my grades improved and by the time I graduated highschool I was top 20 in my class of nearly 500 students. I really hope that this school has more to offer than it used too.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The work and effort they put in is shown in the improving test scores and the Advance ED stem certification. The children are being engaged via legos , the outside garden etc

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is given each day with the exception of Fridays as well as optional additional learning opportunities such as Math Stars which the students are usually given several days to complete

Develops character: Strongly agree

Each child has access to the same additional opportunities from Math Stars, iXL, accelerated reader, after school clubs. My child is encouraged to try new things and be honest about her failures and successes. She understands now that her failures can be just as important as her success as she learns what works and what does not. The school is so diverse so interactions with her class mates can range from perfect on one day and her being annoyed or hurt by what was said by a friend. She is learning to make her feelings known and try to talk through the situation with her teacher and her peer.

Our family has been at Chesnut for 4 years now, we have enjoyed it. The teachers have been great always suggesting tools to enhance my child's experience with Coding and math. Tools such as iXL, reflecx math are available to all students with their own login we utilized it (iXl) during the summer to keep our child on task. There are extra opportunities like Math Stars and Accelerated reader that you and your child can choose to take part in to enhance their skill sets. We also enjoy the Art our child has made from a hard cover book on Picasso to her yearly framed art pieces. Yeah I am a fan of Chesnut

Ms. Hobgood has done an excellent job in helping my grandaughter adapt to Chestnut. She loves coming to your class at first it was a struggle for her but she is happy to go to school and proud to do her work.

Chesnut has such a small community feel. We had so much fun at Field Day today. What a great experience for all of the children. Thank you to all of the Chesnut Staff and Teachers for the volunteer parent breakfast. It was wonderful.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers we have had think outside the box to teach in exciting ways using STEM and fun activities.

This used to be a wonderful school under Dr Reid. Sadly, the loss of the charter is one indication of the direction this school is taking under the new administration. Parents are slowly being shut out. It's easy to like a school when your child thrives, but if your child has an additional need for learning or emotional support, the Administration sadly cannot be relied upon to deliver those services. I'm surprised by the lack of communication that comes home from the classroom unless it's for a fundraiser, and whilst I am a willing financial supporter of the school, I'd like to be included in more than that (e.g. Class helper, reader etc). That does not happen across the board in all classrooms. Lack of consistency is a problem. And yes, as with all schools, bullying can and will happen, unless the administration does something to intervene and curb it. This doesn't happen effectively at this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

LOVE the teachers! My child has shown great progress this year. Our teachers have always been accessible (even after hours when they don't need to be) and responsive to any concerns we have had. The classes are not as large as most of the elementary schools in Dunwoody. Even though they are not the size of private school classes, my student's teacher is on top of my child's individual academic strengths and where he needs more help.

Last modified Chesnut Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.