Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (5 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The work and effort they put in is shown in the improving test scores and the Advance ED stem certification. The children are being engaged via legos , the outside garden etc

Amount of homework: Agree

Homework is given each day with the exception of Fridays as well as optional additional learning opportunities such as Math Stars which the students are usually given several days to complete

Develops character: Strongly agree

Each child has access to the same additional opportunities from Math Stars, iXL, accelerated reader, after school clubs. My child is encouraged to try new things and be honest about her failures and successes. She understands now that her failures can be just as important as her success as she learns what works and what does not. The school is so diverse so interactions with her class mates can range from perfect on one day and her being annoyed or hurt by what was said by a friend. She is learning to make her feelings known and try to talk through the situation with her teacher and her peer.

Our family has been at Chesnut for 4 years now, we have enjoyed it. The teachers have been great always suggesting tools to enhance my child's experience with Coding and math. Tools such as iXL, reflecx math are available to all students with their own login we utilized it (iXl) during the summer to keep our child on task. There are extra opportunities like Math Stars and Accelerated reader that you and your child can choose to take part in to enhance their skill sets. We also enjoy the Art our child has made from a hard cover book on Picasso to her yearly framed art pieces. Yeah I am a fan of Chesnut

Ms. Hobgood has done an excellent job in helping my grandaughter adapt to Chestnut. She loves coming to your class at first it was a struggle for her but she is happy to go to school and proud to do her work.

Chesnut has such a small community feel. We had so much fun at Field Day today. What a great experience for all of the children. Thank you to all of the Chesnut Staff and Teachers for the volunteer parent breakfast. It was wonderful.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

The teachers we have had think outside the box to teach in exciting ways using STEM and fun activities.

This used to be a wonderful school under Dr Reid. Sadly, the loss of the charter is one indication of the direction this school is taking under the new administration. Parents are slowly being shut out. It's easy to like a school when your child thrives, but if your child has an additional need for learning or emotional support, the Administration sadly cannot be relied upon to deliver those services. I'm surprised by the lack of communication that comes home from the classroom unless it's for a fundraiser, and whilst I am a willing financial supporter of the school, I'd like to be included in more than that (e.g. Class helper, reader etc). That does not happen across the board in all classrooms. Lack of consistency is a problem. And yes, as with all schools, bullying can and will happen, unless the administration does something to intervene and curb it. This doesn't happen effectively at this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

LOVE the teachers! My child has shown great progress this year. Our teachers have always been accessible (even after hours when they don't need to be) and responsive to any concerns we have had. The classes are not as large as most of the elementary schools in Dunwoody. Even though they are not the size of private school classes, my student's teacher is on top of my child's individual academic strengths and where he needs more help.

My neighbor just told me about this web site last night. I didn't know it existed. Wow! My child is is so happy. True, there is a good amount of homework but not any more than other kids I know in other local schools. In my experience, students are given a few days to complete larger homework packets. We are in our third year at Chesnut and speaking for us, we have never seen 4 math pages in one night. Of course the teachers teach, and ours finds creative ways for the kids to learn. I love that. As the child of 2 educators, I sometimes feel bad for the teachers because they have so much that they are required to cover in a constricted amount of time. That's not Chesnut's "fault." DeKalb County has had its challenges but I think it is will be better with the new leadership. Walk the halls, visit during lunch if you can and you will see happy students. Last month there was a Friday night school dance and an auction and there was a big turnout of Chesnut supporters and content parents. A friend told me that at the auction she wanted to win her child an activity with the teacher but the competition was very strong and parents were practically stepping on each other for that. The kids were even having their parents bid on lunch with the vice principal. When my neighbor told me about this site I just had to come on to review and share my positive experience at this school.

Last modified Chesnut Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.