Cedar Grove High School

Public | 9-12 | 1030 students

Sweep tile

Posted July 7, 2011

I am a frustrated involved parent of children that attend Cedar Grove High, while I know that there are some great teachers there I have experienced some horrible ones. (What a dis-advantage to our children!). The Mission Statement of this school speaks about turning out future leaders of tomorrow - I don't see this happening if Cedar Grove High leadreship continues to allow there teachers to operate below standards. - Parents if you are not concerned, and at worst scared for the future of your children - YOU have put to much trust in these teachers. I agree with the student - If you are in a situation where you have No choice, lets hope your child get a good one. Good Luck!

Posted November 9, 2010

I currently am a sophomore here at this school. I agree with one of reviews saying that this school is mainly interested in sports. Here you have good teachers and you have bad teachers. You should hope your child doesn't get the bad teachers.

Posted October 12, 2010

I have been an active PTSA member for the past year and have observed a tremendous increase in parent & teacher involvement in the PTSA. My daughter is thriving academically and socially and enjoys CGHS a great deal! I am looking forward to making a difference and being a part of the great things about to explode at CGHS.

Posted January 2, 2010

This school is horrible! I moved into the Dekalb Co. district last year. I attended cedar grove middle(awful!) & this year I Attend Cedar Grove High. Im a freshman here. The only thing the school is interested in is sports. We dont get exposed to other after school activities. & the teachers are horrible and so is the classroom setting. My teachers never have enough time for me the student. Im a smart girl who usually loves school but this school makes me want to drop out!

Posted October 3, 2009

I like the competent staff and teachers. My daughter also attends this school.

Posted September 29, 2009

I think the school has improved a lot and will give a score of 4 out of 5. My son grades has improved a lot over the past two years.

Posted July 21, 2008

I have been a teacher at Cedar Grove High School for 8 years. CGHS is not perfect, but no school is. If you a looking for a school that stresses academics, career education, and moral development, than CGHS is the school for you. Most of the teachers are truly concerned about the education they are providing to students. We often us our own personal time to provide free tutorial for students, and our own money to help students who don't have school supplies. Student achievement is our primary focus. Our administrators are great, and they work very hard to provide a safe environment for our students.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 1, 2008

I am a veteran teacher. I have been with Dekalb County 22 years and at Cedar Grove High School 1 year. I have visited with a lot of elementary, middle and high schools within my 22 years. Cedar Grove High School is not a perfect school but it is a very good high school and it is on its way to greatness. The teachers and the administrators work very hard. I am so proud of Mrs. Williams-West she is a great role model. I am especially pleased with the 9th grade assistant principal, Mrs. Payton-Edwards. She is really holding her own. She is working with a great team and has big plans for the rising 9th grade students. I get great parent support and I make sure I let parents know they are a major factor in weather their child meets success or failure during their high school years at CGHS.

Posted May 1, 2008

Overall, I like the school and what's going on there. (Aside from the minor problems that are occurring at many of the metro area schools). I think that the parents could participate more in the activities provided at the school for the children. Also, parental involvement is always encouraged for PTA, parent/teacher conferences, sporting events, etc. but some parents don't support their children once they get to high school and this is sad.

Posted March 8, 2008

As a parent that is very involved in my childs education, i'm disappointed in what I have encountered at CGHS. I feel as if there is not enough effort on the parts of the teachers, for those parents who are involved. I email teachers constantly, because be it as it may, my son is not putting in his share. But it takes days to get a response(not from all though). But if i don't email and constantly follow your child, you will never know what is going on. Why not inform the parent that the child is doing nothing. It takes us all to be involved the student, the parents, and the teacher. I feel it has been a oneway road. I just feel no child would ever sit in my class and not turn in class assignments, and never inform the parent. Children are just that, children.

Posted September 12, 2007

I had 3 teenage boys that attended Cedar Grove. The experience was very frustrating. In my eyes this school failed them. They where more interested in suspending kids for outrageous things than keeping them in school to get the education. The level is so so low. One of my sons is still a student there and I just do not think he is going to make it in the real world and One of my sons dropped out the other one is going to college, but I just do not think he is ready. A handful of teachers where great and kept you informed, but the majority just did not give a care.

Posted August 8, 2007

I am a Reading Specialist at this school and the improvements being made by the new prncipal, Ms. JoAnn Williams-West indicate that it will be, indeed, a premier school!

Posted March 19, 2007

This school is absolutely horrible. It very is unorganized, the building is run down, and the quality of education is just downright unexceptable. The administrators and staff only care about one thing. Let me give you a hint...it's green. There are a FEW good teachers, but the majority are not fit to teach at the high school level.

Posted June 25, 2006

I am currently attending Cedar Grove High. It has had its ups and downs but your experience is determined by your individual effort. Since I have started I have had all accelerated courses, most of the teachers I had were pretty good. I have been taking AP courses is what prepares for the'real world' if you don't push yourself how can anyone else push you. The principal I believe is not professional enough. But everyone only brood over all the negative stuff, two students who both received the Gates-Millenium scholarship which is the highest level for all scholarships. So instead of hving a tunnel vision, only seeing the negative open up your mind and look at the positive things. Class of 2008.

Posted November 28, 2005

I have had two students to graduate from Cedar Grove High one in 1994 and one in 2001. I must say that the academically Cedar Grove prepared both of my children for college as both of them have excelled in both their undergraduate and graduate studies. I was particularly impressed that the teaching staff was more diverse during my second child's matriculation. The extracurricular programs at Cedar Grove gave my children an opportunity to travel, experience new and exciting things and network with those in other areas. The band grew tremendously under the direction of Mr. Decuir, but I hear it is struggling badly because of lack of student interest. The only improvement Cedar Grove needs is a committed principal that will work for many years to rebuild the school spirit within the students. Academics are great the FB Team and Band need new leadership.

Posted April 10, 2005

As a graduate of CGS, class of 2002, I give a different approach to my feelings on the schoool. Currently, I am a junior at Florida A&M, and I have learned that the opportunities that you create for yourself are what determines how successful you will be. Therefore, if you, the student, or you, the parent, do not take an ACTIVE role in education or the experiences that you stand to learn from, then you have wasted your time as well as those who attepmt to help you. If your child presents his/herself as a person who is willing to absorb all resourse that a teacher has to offer, you will do well regardless what school the school. 'The teacher didn't care' is no longer an excuse. As many of us know, there are other sources as long as you make the attempt.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 15, 2005

Cedar Grove really isn't that bad. I use to think so until this year when I started to get more involved in activities. No, not all the teachers are there to support students and there are those who want to care but they have these big classes full of students who do not want to learn. Every school has their down falls just give us a little time we re working on know educational programs trying to prepare students for college. With the help of students and parents more AP classes can be put in place and you know with a little money our sport teams could probably be better. I m not sure about this year, but I know last year our principal had to pay out of his pocket for food for our awards breakfast due to the fact we did not have a sponsor. Like I said before all we need is a little time and money and we could be on top.

Posted March 15, 2005

The AP Literature classes are the best. The Art program is pretty good; the Academy of Information Tech. (AOIT) is really good for those who can get in. And for those who can stay focused and aren't bored by lectures AP U.S. History is a good course. I m a junior right now and since I've been at this school I've had all advanced classes, which always look good on your transcript, and mostly all of my teachers have been outstanding. I can t see how so many people can complain about something a make little effort to make change.

Posted January 8, 2005

I am a graduate of Cedar Grove High School, and I personallt think that Cedar Grove is not a bad school but the teachers do NOT prepare students for what to expect in College. I took advanced English throughout HS and was placed in remedial english in College. This school just doesn't prepare students for the real world at all. PERIOD.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted January 5, 2005

I'm a current student at CGHS.Since my 9th grade year things have for the better in most cases.We have a better principal who knows how to handle himself and a few campus improvements.However there is no school pride,no community support,or parent involvement so kids feel like what's the use?You have some teachers who really care and those who are just there to get a paycheck.The overall student body seems to really want to overcome the surroundings the negativity.Which I think is very good but of course you are going to have the bad ones who mess it up for everyone.Also extracurricular activities are on the rise such as band(all season),footbal,etc.This school isn't as bad as they say.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

224 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

186 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

131 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

n/a

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

104 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

164 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

57 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

20 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

n/a

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

147 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

161 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

132 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian 0% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Security personnel
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options

• Orchestra
Performing arts
  • Dance
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2360 River Rd