PK-6|Private

Bad
Good

Develops character: Strongly agree

One of the main goals of the Primary (3-6 year old) classroom is to teach children how to interact with one another in a civil, kind and caring way. There are methods such as the Peace table where a child might go to calm himself and invite a friend in order to discuss their dispute. Children in all the classrooms help to develop their own classroom rights which are used daily to maintain order and peace. Children are responsible for their own work and parents are encouraged to let them make mistakes.

When we were looking for private schools for our kids locally, we looked at the choices available and Montessori schools seemed to be our top choice. Among the three Montessori schools close to where we live, FMS stood out in combination of the environment, teachers and communication between the school and parents. Also, the tuition was the most affordable for us at the time. So our kids have been with the school since they were toddlers and now they are first graders. FMS has really helped our kids to grow in terms of confidence, academics, independence, communication and social skills.

Student/Teacher ratio: 19 to 1 + 1 assistant teacher for ages 3-6 years. Classroom clean & organized. Centers appropriately placed. Independence and peer interaction highly encouraged. At minimum, a 2-year commitment for your child to learn the Montessori method. Classroom environment very "sterile". Lacks academic and visual stimulation. No alphabets or numbers on the wall, even a lack of seasonal focus. I get the sense that the school Director is "limited" by her views and conforms to the Montessori tradition. If you want a traditional preschool with a focus on academics that will teach your child from the very beginning to write his first & last name; familiar with and recognize the sounds of the alphabet, recognize numbers 1-20 and count up to 100; recognize at least 20 sight words (current kindergarteners must recognize at least 130 sight words by January); familiar with colors, and shapes just to name a few. If you DO NOT want a preschool that focuses on academics, and would like to have this montessori school teach him "reality based" life skills like cleaning, organizing, gardening and collaborating with friends, then this is the place!

We could not have found a better school for our daughters. The brilliant staff at FMS provides a creative, calm, and engaging environment that has allowed each of our daughters to excel beyond expectation. Four weeks into the school year and our three year old can now read and she has a phenomenal grasp of mathematical and scientific concepts. Our other daughter began reading shortly after transferring in the middle of last year. She was at a traditional school before transferring, the difference this Montessori school has made in her life is unbelievable. She is completely self- directed, confident, and she LOVES her school. She is on the first grade level in math and science and she just turned 5!! Each primary classroom contains a courtyard filled with gardens where the students can water plants from the rain harvesting system, plant seeds, weed, or simply take their learning outside to grab a fresh breath of air. The large, open classrooms lack rows of desks and a large chalk board front and center as this school understands HOW children learn along with the importance of finding each child's passion.

Fayette Montessori has been an excellent choice for our family. We have two children attending the school. One child is in the primary and one in the lower Elementary. Both children are doing exceptionally well in academics. But the most wonderful part of the program is the independence and self direction my children have developed. I know when my children leave Fayette Montessori in the sixth grade they will be successful where ever they go!

I am very interested in this school. However, I was wondering why there are no ratings since 2007. If there are any alumni out there please post your comments. I have a two year old (27 months) and I want t make sure that I make the right decision. I guess I will rate it wth fives since I do not know much about the school. Please help

I have 2 children at FMS. It is an excellent school. The faculty care and my children get individualized attention and results.

Last modified Fayette Montessori School is a Private school that serves grades PK-6