Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School

Public | 9-12

Posted May 3, 2013

I graduated from LFO 20yrs ago and I can still say in my opinion it is the absolute worst school ever. The enviroment is extremely bias and raciest. When I was a student at LFO even the foreign exchange students got harrassed. The teachers only cared about a select group of students any students who did not fit into there "ideal" definition was basically ignored. Don't get me wrong I had about 6 really great teachers but that was it out of a school with so many teachers. After I became a teacher assistant I worked with a teacher who graduated and taught there after she got out of college. I learned a few things then, how the admin were busy trying to sleep with some of the teachers and sexiest remarks that were made in the office. I would NEVER let my child attend Lakeview. It was a horrible school experience and to this day is still a horrible school.

Posted January 6, 2009

LFO is a fabulous school. My daughter is a senior at LFO this year and she is more than prepared for college. The teachers and principals are very caring and they have pushed her to succeed. In a world where everyone is concerned with just getting by, it is nice to know that my daughter is being challenged and encouraged to take harder classes in order to be prepared for college and beyond. They also won two state-level awards this year that no other high schools in this part of the state won.

Posted January 6, 2009

Posted June 24, 2008

We have a son who graduated from lfo in may 2008. He loved the school, we had moved out of state and moved back to the area and he refused to attend another school. He is entering college and he doesn't have to take any remedial classes. He was on college path. I think the dress code should be inforced year round instead of when they feel like it. Ron arp will be missed by a lot of students.

Posted June 12, 2008

Lfo is a wonderful school! It has caring teachers and principals that want the best for the students. I have 2 children attending LFO and both of them are challenged in the classroom as well as involved in extra-curricular activities. The school is preparing them for the big world out there which is what I think any excellent school should be doing!

Posted April 4, 2008

If you want to go to a school that is unbiased toward student behavior and contains teachers that are worried about their students, do not attend this school. All this school cares about is making the school look nice and smart for their peers, and eliminating the lesser students, while all the time disregarding the good students' needs and wants.

Posted November 6, 2007

I absolutely love the school, yea the work is hard sometimes, but it's just preparing us for the real world

Posted July 22, 2007

As a parent of two children that have graduated from LFO, I am quite satisfied with the school. Sure, there are things that can/need improvement, but what school doesn't? The administrators & faculty work hard to set examples for students and expect the students to work to their full potential. I work at LFO and I see the disrespect, back talk and general 'don't care' attitudes some of these kids have. These teachers try their best to help the kids succeed, but kids have to put forth the effort.

Posted June 7, 2007

worst school i ever attended.. the staff was more interested in what the students were wearing than the education we were receiving.

Posted December 7, 2006

LFO High school has a great leadership. Jerry Ramsom the principal. It is one of the best pubic schools. Thank you,

Posted October 5, 2006

As a current student at lfo I have had great freshman year so far one such teacher that has helped me through the year is ron hickey. He gives us time to do our work therefore helping us have a greeat year. P.S the dress code is not to strict and the movies they show are not inapropriate.

Posted July 31, 2006

I have had three kids in the catoosa county school system and the best thing I can say is thank god my last one is a senior in high school! Boynton elem. was great, Lakeview middle was terrible and LFO high school was a nightmare! People will say that parents need to be more involved with the school system but I feel that this is not true in our school system. They have made me feel that if I questioned them about anything from academics to discipline then I was going against them. (Paranoya will detroy ya) Our schools are full of paranoid staff, teachers and administrators!

Posted December 16, 2004

Although I am not a parent, I am a former student of LFO, Class of 1997. In my four years there I found that most of the teachers were quite supportive of students when and if they were aware of certain problems or issues. However, though I was enrolled in the 'College Prep' class track throughout my high school career there I found myself quite un-prepared for the rigors and responsibilities of the college atmosphere. Perhaps there is room for improvement still where that is concerned. The teachers there are always happy to help if called upon. As a visitor post-graduation I was still welcomed there. I would definitely recommed this school to any parent new to the area. I feel that it is by far the best choice for a high school in the area. It presents a clean and generally friendly atmosphere where learning and achievements were always rewarded.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted October 16, 2004

I am not a parent but i was a student at LFO last year it was my senior year. I just wanted to say that this school has a lot of low points as well as a lot of high points. There are occasional teachers who don't care and treat students like they aren't people. they shall remain nameless. But there are lots and most of the teachers there do care and try their best to make everyday great for the students. I do personally wish that our school was better but from the looks of a lot of schools in this area we have one of the best. And I only hope with time it becomes the best.

Posted September 8, 2004

As a former minority student at LFO, I can truly say there is nothing I regret about attending LFO. The atmosphere is awesome as well as the staff and community/parent involvment. Sports and extracurricular activities have boosted in the past 5 years. LFO is now a forerunner of public highschools in NW GA. I am attending college right now in central GA and the reputation of my little school up in Ft.O has spread all the way down here.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted August 31, 2004

I feel very sad that the two people who have written reviews about LFO are upset with the school. Having gone to East Ridge High School in Tennessee about 10 miles away, if I had had the chance to be a student at LFO, I would have loved it. Not only are the teachers more concerned about the students, but the students are so much more well mannered and care a lot more about the direction of their lives. The pregnancy percentage compared to other schools around is almost non-existent! I have a child at LFO in the special education program. Before coming to LFO, he was always worried about school every morning. We just basically had to make him go. Now that he is at LFO, he begs us to get him there as early as possible! He just LOVES it there! LFO is a wonderful learning institution!

Posted June 21, 2004

Well personally I think that Lakeview High School is an okay school. The only problems I see there are they focus on appearance of their students way more than the actual learning. The staff of the school says that the reason they enforce such strict rules on dress code and personal appearance is so not to distract other students from learning but the teachers take time out of class or out of the students lunch or so to rave about the students attire. Isn't that taking away 'learning time'. There is also the issue of favoritism. Some teachers pick favorite students and I personally don't think it is right or fair to everyone so I would like that to be checked into. P.S. I am actually a student at LFO and have observed these concerns first hand.

Posted April 19, 2004

I think that the teachers need to be better reviewed and that leaders of the school should sit in on classes and see how these teachers actually talk to and treat their students. Also, I feel they need to be checked for the movies and shows that they show as a 'reward' to the students. Some shows are inappropriate for the students. They should also be there when the smaller students are being picked on and support them; not tell them to shut-up and sit down as has happened to my child. They also need to enforce the dress code for all students, not just some of them or when they feel like it. Concentrate on getting kids back in school and keeping them there, not pushing them away. Also, need to find better way of spending the money they get. They waste a lot of it.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

215 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

214 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

214 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

216 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

205 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

139 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

106 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

167 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

118 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

155 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

138 students were tested at this school in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 2% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1850 Battlefield Pkwy