New Mountain Hill Elementary School

Public | PK-4

Posted September 18, 2013

I am overjoyed that my son goes here for PreK. My husband camped out overnight for 18 hours to get a spot (limited because it is a lottery program) along with all the other parents...but here's the thing: they were happy to do it. We are proud of our school and love that the staff all seem to take a hand in caring for your child in some way because it is a smaller school. The facilities are clean and well taken care of. I also appreciate that you are invited to come to the school to check in on their progress and to see how it is being run. We couldn't imagine being anywhere else and will gladly camp out again when our next child starts preK!

Posted September 18, 2013

New Mountain Hill Elementary in Fortson Georgia. Our son just began attending their pre-K program. I waited outside for more than 18 hours (really!) to get him in, and can say honestly that I see why parents are willing to do that to get their children into this school. The teachers are warm, caring, but professional and I feel so blessed to have my son attending.

Posted October 20, 2010

We have been at NMHE for 3 yrs now and my kids have absolutely loved it!!! Each year the teachers have been great!! We are very sad to be PCSing to Ft Bragg... For those of you moving to Ft Benning from Ft Knox due to BRAC, I HIGHLY recommend this school. You're not going to find schools that top Harris County!!

Posted May 3, 2010

I 'love' the school because they are a small school that appears to mostly care about the children. My grandchildren appear to be as educated as well as the public school has to ofter these days and I appreciate that. Whenever I visit to pick up the children the staff is always pleasent and I see examples of how they care. Example: One day they were having 'hat day'. One little guy had his hat on backwards. The staff member asked why he had his hat on backwards, he said because his brother (older) wears his this way. (she did not know I had walked up to overhear this) . The staff member said 'well we don't wear our hats backwards here'. The backwards hat is a tell tell sign of a negative attitude/ 'loser', my opinion only.

Posted April 28, 2010

I have loved every day my children have gone to NMHE! It is a well-run school (thanks Mr. Ray) and the teachers are awesome! I have been VERY impressed with everything my kids are able to do. They have the toughest curriculum to make the smartest kids. As a pediatric nurse practitioner in the Muscogee county area, believe me I know that not all school districts are the same. I take care of kids from 5 different school districts and NMHE & the other 3 elementary schools make thei students learn. NMHE teachers keep their parents informed and on top of the kids' education!! I cannot say enough about this school!!!!

Posted March 27, 2008

Strong parental support. Great teachers. Safe place to be. Great place to be!

Posted December 10, 2007

We were new to NMH last year and it took quite a bit of adjusting. We were used to a open and friendly enviroment. I would not describe NMH this way. The students can not talk at all during lunch. They cant use the restroom when any class is in the school is testing. If the fifth grade is testing 1st cant use the restrooms. We have wonderful teacher this year and it has made the many stringent rules and unfriendly staff tolerable. I know that there are many safety and security issues that schools have to unfairly deal with, but I have seen other schools do this with out loosing the warm atmoshere. This is not what I would want elementary school to be for my children.

Posted November 2, 2007

Perhaps the best public elementary school in this area. A retired public school educator myself, I could not be more pleased to have my granddaughter at NMHE.

Posted August 15, 2007

I am so glad my daughter is going to this school. The staff are great!

Posted June 27, 2006

Nmhe has been a godsend to our family. I cannot say enough good things about it. Parents are always welcome in the classrooms, learning is fun here. My kindergartner is reading chapter books and even doing fractions. The best school in the county and surrounding 5 counties.

Posted March 17, 2005

New Mountain Hill exceeds every other elementary school is Harris County, and the surronding counties. The teachers are the real prize at NMH and put a lot of focus on the children and the childrens' educations. Mr. Ray, the principal, runs the school with masterful precision, though he has had his minor faults, as does everyone. Still, he is an excellent administrator. The only complaints I would have would be certain members of the office staff -- but don't let them fool you, NMH is an EXCELLENT school nonetheless.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted April 15, 2004

I really loved NMHE alot. All of the teachers were excellent. Wome teachers I really miss are: Mrs. Galyon, Mrs. McClurg, Mrs. Cone, and Mrs. Carlisle. My parents think that NMHE is way better than the Middle School(Carver). Personally I like them both.
—Submitted by a former student

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

33 Mountain Hill Rd