Public charter
Gainesville, GA
Students enrolled: 1,827

Gainesville High School 1

Posted February 21, 2011
As a lifelong student of the Gainesville City School System, I have many wonderful memories (football championships, great baseball and awesome band program) of the school; however, the quality of the education had diminished over the past few years.You certainly have a few good teachers in the system, but overall, there is a culture change going on here.I know the recent blue ribbon award has the smoke and mirrors working its magic, but don't buy into it without doing a little homework of your own.The blue ribbon was most likely awarded because they continue to teach to the lowest common denominator by bridging the achievement gap between those who perform and those who do not.The credit recovery lab was a great invention and it certainly has worked, but I can tell you that other areas have suffered and this has directly affected me, an above average student

Posted March 30, 2010
Given the incredible diversity, the committed, caring, and capable faculty and staff do a fantastic job of inspiring kids. They offer a wide range of curricular choices, as well as extracurricular programs. School spirit is great...I wholly recommend this school for parents who believe in instilling the best values for their kids.

Posted October 18, 2009
I'm a student here and I don't find the safety nor the teacher quality satisfying, though the school does have great extracurricular activities to choose from.

Posted June 30, 2008
I do not find this school to be very safe. Also I feel that the students do not really connect with the teachers as they should. I do not recommend sending your child to this school.

Posted September 07, 2007
GHS is a magnificent school the safety is amazing now that the students are wearing their ID badges. DIscipline is becoming less of an issue with many incentives to do good. Academically it is no doubt the best in the county and if your child is into sports more scouts come to look at students from Gainesville High School.

Posted August 16, 2007
This is a very happy school. The school spirit is outstanding. Teachers and students alike join in on the events, such as homecoming parade, the rock bonfire and dances. Teachers love their jobs just about as much as students love being members of the Big Red Machine. Teachers maintain websites and genuinely care about the academic success of the students. You feel like you are part of a family at this school. I have to say I love and respect GHS so much for everything they strive to do and actually get done. Go Big Red!

Posted April 10, 2006
If you're in the right academic track you can do very well here but safety and discipline are STILL issues at this school.

Posted December 20, 2005
My daughter graduated from Gainesville High in 2005. I am proud to say that she and my son, who is now a junior at a different school, received an excellent education from this school. Special thanks to Jennifer Torrey, Mrs. Hill, and Mrs. Wade. You will never know how much your time and extra effort helped my children. I'm proud to have been a part of a program where teachers care so much about the success of the students they teach. Kimberly Daniel mother of Meagen and Damarian Flentall

Posted October 03, 2005
This school is great. I use to go to another school but this has been the best. If you are athletic you can come to are great football team. We are going to win state.We are right now undeafeted in region.I and my family love this school.

Posted August 31, 2005
As a parent, GHS has been a blessing to my children. The whole city school system has received national attention (Bush, etc.). The diversity in school is definitely an advantage to my children, as it represents the 'real world'. GHS has more honors/AP-level courses than any other in Northeast Georgia, and the academic rigor is second to none in the county - why do so many out-of-district students pay to come to GHS? Because of its 100+ years of tradition and excellence. The academics, athletics, and extracurricular activities are outstanding. One of my children plays golf and the other football/baseball. The coaches are outstanding - i equate it to being not only 'college prep' in the classroom but in athletics as well. Go big red!

830 Century Pl, Gainesville, GA  30501
Last modified Gainesville High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Gainesville High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top