Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Mount Vernon Elementary School 3

Posted March 16, 2016
This is one of those schools where the teachers play favorites. You know, teachers pet! Oh and if there are kids in the class that have a parent at the school that is a teacher then forget it they get special treatment! It's the good ole boys. I love small towns but this takes the cake. Most of these teachers are taught out and they are rather young! The patience level is NOT there even when you have a good, sweet kid. Remember your kid is not the pet! I know it's not just Mt. Vernon but they could integrate it in the lesson somehow is spelling words. Somehow spelling words have been taken out of my first graders curriculum and then he is completely chastised for not being able to spell PERFECT! Gone are the days of spelling lists/words? How do they learn to spell? Yet they are learning geometry! I'm so confused? So NO as a parent I am not happy with this school and we moved here for this school and got duped!

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted March 16, 2016
The teachers choose favorites ( teachers pets ) and can be very mean and this gives my son so much self criticism

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted March 16, 2016
The homework for a first grader is so much that my son has anxiety that he's not going to get it done and he's going to get in trouble

Posted May 12, 2014
Great school! My children love to attend Mount Vernon. Everyone is so nice and really cares about the kids!

Posted March 12, 2014
This school is amazing. All of the teachers push the students and they don't back down. The principal is amazing and loves to interact with the kids. All of the teachers love on the students like they are their own children.

Posted September 04, 2013
We are beyond happy with Mount Vernon Elementary school! The teachers and admin staff are caring, go above and beyond, and dedicated to their students. They are providing a solid foundation for a wonderful education. I can't imagine being anywhere else!!

Mount Vernon Elementary School 1

Posted June 02, 2013
Sadly, a lot of the information about this school on this website is out of date (2006-2007). We relocated our family in 2007 due to my husband's employment and we were sorely misled about this school district. The teaching staff at MV is either dedicated or highly unprofessional, with the latter being the majority. On many occasions I would walk my youngest in only to see a classroom full of children with a missing 1st grade teacher who would walk in 15 minutes late. We mentioned it to the both the principal and asst. principal but it never was addressed. During parent teacher conferences one of my child's teachers was unable to tell me my child's current reading level, why test grades (taken weeks before) were missing, etc. She said she hadn't had a chance to catch up on things because of her kitchen renovation. In short, do not move here and expect a solid education for your children. By 2011, six families in our neighborhood had either moved back to greater Atlanta (where the districts are better), switched to a private school in Gainesville, or were being homeschooled.

Posted May 18, 2012
Our grandson has been at MVES since first grade and will be in the fifth grade this next year....a senior. This has been a great experience for him. As in any school there will always be a bully, the situation that involved our grandson was quickly taken care. The teachers are amazing and care for the students. The principal is awesome and works hard for everyone. From the Principal to the janitor, this school rates a five star and we are anxious to be threr for our grandson's graduating class.

Posted May 17, 2012
I had one child here K-5 and I have my second child now getting ready to enter 3rd grade so I have 7 years of working with this school and I have no complaints whatsoever. I am NOT a "highclass" parent and both of my children have had positive experiences with this school. ALL of our teachers have been amazing and helpful and seemed excited to be there. I've only met the principal and couple of times but she seems fine. I hope that this becomming a charter school will only help and not harm what Mt Vernon is. I look froward to seeing what the future hold for us here at this precious school!

Posted April 27, 2010
My son had his first year in Elementary School here and we couldn't be more pleased. The teacher's here seem to love their jobs and are truely dedicated to helping these kids learn.

4844 Jim Hood Rd, Gainesville, GA  30506
Last modified Mount Vernon Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.