Public charter
Gainesville, GA

Wauka Mountain Elementary School 4

Posted April 30, 2014
I have two daughters that both go to Wauka Mtn. Elementay. I must say it is a great school overall. I'm not particularly thrilled about the impact that charter has had but I think its like any other school. There is always room for improvement. But most of my daughters teachers really care about them and about making mpact on their lives. I do wish though, that the teaching was a little more hands on. The age that these kids are, their minds process information better with doing schoolwork hands on. Kids take info in so fast and so much that they have a hard time remembering. So if I had to say that improvements should be made in that area. Wauka Mtn is one of the best in the cty but is well capable of being thebest.

Posted October 25, 2013
I love this school. I feel honored to send my daughter there. I am 40 yrs. old. 2 of my sibling went to this school. I feel as though they teach my daughter with dignity and pride. Everyday she comes home with something new she has learned. I'm so proud of her. Couldn't be happier.

Posted April 27, 2013
WAUKA MT. ELEMENTARY has been such a disappointment this year it is not even funny. EXTREMELY RUDE teacher, and no where near enough teaching by her or his alternate teacher. It got so bad, that when it came time for them to get on study island to prepare for the 3rd grade CRCT, he didn't know how because he couldn't get the password from his teacher. When he asked her, he told be she would find out, but never did. Even other students were trying to figure out what it might be. In the end I actually had to call the 800 number of that website to get it. UNACCEPTALBE! I have gotten the impression they are simply tired of dealing with him since he is special needs because of speech delay. He is extremely intelligent and can be easily underestimated, which they have done. They seem to concentrate more attention on students they don't have to work as hard with. Doesn't say much for the "I teach because I love it" cry they are always saying. Seriously considering moving him to another charter school where the teachers might actually care whether he gets a good education or not.

Wauka Mountain Elementary School 2

Posted April 15, 2013
Such a disappointment. It is not the school it used to be. The charter has negatively impacted the quality of education. The children are no longer routinely exposed to art, music, computers or PE. Only if they take a speciality class that may fall under this category. The standards in these areas are not addressed. Two hours out of their days are into specialties where there are no grades, no accountability. The children are segregated by academic ability as well. They have little to no recess and the admin feels as if the one week they meet with the PE teacher is adequate. What are they missing from their academic day that they are able to put 2 hours into specialties?! My son's grades went down after the charter began including crucial standardized testing scores.

Posted February 08, 2013
Not a great school. The classes are grouped by ability, which I thought was illegal for elementary children. There is literally ZERO diversity at this school, it is 99.9% white children which seems strange. How is that legal?

Posted November 03, 2011
This is our 2nd year @ WMMIA. Both of my children have excelled academically. I've read the other posts and find many complaints to be terribly negative, opinionated & unfounded. My children do have recess, plenty of physical activities as well as other specialty classes that have stimulated them academically, physically & personally. It was a wonderful change for us. The teachers are sharp & challenging. The staff is kind & welcoming. I've found it a great place to jump in & be involved. The test scores show that they are making their mark and that children are growing academically. I DO recommend this school!

Posted June 30, 2011
This was my sons last year at Wauka Mt. Up until this year it was such a great school. But now they are focusing more on the specialty classes not what the kids should be learning. I'm not the only parent who feels this way. I know of several. Having the specialty class is great and fun for the kids but the real subjects should come first. If a kid is falling behind they should pull them from the specialty class and give them more help in that time.

Posted June 27, 2011
Wauka Mountain was a great school before the charter school. Some of the kids needs more help with the real work like spelling, reading, and math. Not classes with cooking, golf, swimming or photography. If they want to have those class that s fine, but for the kids that are struggling have a class that will help them in the areas that are hard to them.

Wauka Mountain Elementary School 2

Posted March 20, 2011
My neighbors children go to this school and they are very concerned because their children suddenly are below grade level in math and reading due to the fact that the children spend two hours a day in some kind of special classes and don't get science or social studies at all. Also they are upset because their children do not go to PE anymore or get recess. Maybe this information is not accurate, otherwise it would be very weird! What kind of school would cut out recess and PE in this day and age of all the obesity issues of our children and take the students out of class to do cooking or sewing or whatever they are teaching at that place?

Posted December 10, 2010
Wauka Mnt. has been a great school. My daughter went through and was very prepared for middle school (not that i was lol). My son is still attending Wauka mnt. and is loving the new Charter school classes and learning a lot. Thanks to all the wonderful teacher he has and had there.

Wauka Mountain Elementary School
5850 Brookton Lula Rd, Gainesville, GA  30506
Last modified Wauka Mountain Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Wauka Mountain Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews. Top