Gainesville, GA
Before care: Yes

Lakeview Academy 4

Posted December 17, 2013
The Georgia Public Policy Foundation prepared and published (until 2011) an annual report card for Ga. schools. One criterion that they listed was the poverty rate for each school. This information was based on the number of children in the school who were on the free lunch program. Shockingly, most every public school in the area has a free lunch participation rate of 90% plus. Having grown up poor, I can say that my family would have eaten the bark off the trees before even considering being a ward of the state. I want my child to grow up around self respecting individualists who believe in self reliance. Lakeview offers this which is at least as important to me as the academics. Lakeview academics are sufficiently rigorous to prepare children for higher education. Love that the emphasis is on academics more than athletics.

Posted June 11, 2013
This school has it all! Strong academics, accredited teachers, small class sizes, languages, art, drama, sports, technology and this is just in Kindergarten! My son has been attending since preschool and is now in 10th grade. This school prepares the student for college. Not just getting into college but staying in and doing well. This school has the best atmosphere for learning and building achievers. There isn't enough room in this review to truly go over the positive experience we have had sending our son here. Go to lakeviewacademy.org and find out!

Posted December 20, 2009
I think lva is an awesome and a fun school for all the childrens and teens that go there.

Lakeview Academy 4

Posted March 22, 2009
i have 3 kids attending.We are on yr 8 for my oldest. LVA challenges the kids academically which is why we pay to go there. Like other small schools its hard to be the new kid; however with participation and parent involvement and volunteering, the kids and parents can find a niche that they comfortable in. We have found that being on the campus and keeping ongoing open communication with faculty is important in feeling connected .However isn't this in most schools? The enrichment classes rock. We could'nt be more pleased with the education our kids are getting. For us, academics is the priority, sports are a nice supplement however not our primary focus. I agree that the arts should get more attention and financing. A great strength in lower school is preparing the kids to have productive study skills and organizational skills for middle and high school.

Posted March 04, 2009
My child had 24 kids in their elementary class more than one year with only one teacher. I agree with other posts that the students are very unforgiving. The academics are tough which I don't mind, but because the teachers have so many students, they do not seem to be able to handle the kids appropriately. I never felt they really 'cared' about my child. Don't bother asking to see test scores, they refuse to show you elementary test scores or how they compare to other schools. Nice facility. Great art/music program. Functions are put together very well.

Posted March 02, 2009
Ok, I have to somewhat disagree with the last post. We have been at the school for 6 years now and I have never felt that the kids are lacking personal responsibility at all. But this is not the same school we first came to 6 years ago. The continous raising the academic rigor has made it stress level off the chart for my student and makes us think twice especially if they participate in extracirrular activities. Hard to make the grade makes me worry about college acceptance GPA in a few years if this continues. Great people, can be clicky but that is at any school. My thoughts administration needs to look carefully at direction of the academics if they want a well rounded school with the atheletics they are strugling to build. Everyday average kids cannot do it all. Overall good school just be careful of overloaded stress.

Posted February 20, 2009
Lakeview is a good school. Here are my thoughts... The Good: The teachers are very nice and stay in contact with the parents for the most part. There are many ways for your child to 'get involved'. The Bad: I think that the kids are not being prepared for 'the real world'. Our child has been there for 5 years and it seems that the school is lacking in children being taught 'personal responsibility'. The school seems like a very over protective parent. The parents can be as 'clicky' as the students. Overall: It's a good (not great) school. The curriculum is normal for the grade levels. There is very little diversity.

Posted February 07, 2009
By:An-LVA-Student. I first want to say that I'm very fortunate to be in a school like this because of the overwhelming cost, and the sacrifices that have been made for me to be here. I've been attending for 8 years, and I've seen a complete flip on the system. I believe that LVA's priorities are misplaced, for instance sports gen. get priority even though I've only known 2-3 stu. to get sports scholarships, and the arts which dominate the boards get kicked to the side. Academics are decent. Student/Teacher is good, most of the teachers seem to know what they're doing, but can't be said for all. LVA seems to be getting much more strict, ironic considering it's preparing us for college, uniforms are no good. Small student community which allows for a family feel, but at times is unforgiving. Parents have a little more say here-than-other-schools. Only 150 words grrrr

Posted January 21, 2009
I will have to agree with another reviewer regarding the few groups to fit in. We have been there for six years and the group just gets smaller and smaller. The kids are unforgiving and there has never been a warm welcome. Yes, the academic part is good and if you can tolerate being excluded on a continuing basis, then Lakeview is for you.

Posted December 18, 2008
I honestly believe that Lakeview Academy provides the best academic experience anywhere in or around Gainesville. I have spend many years at Lakeview, and I have watched it change with new directors, teachers, and programs, but I believe that it still far superior to any other school in the area. The family-like atmosphere is also amazing. Students always feel safe and comfortable while being able to enjoy the learning experience. Lakeview is not a large or very diverse school, but it provides all that is required for a great education and more!

Lakeview Academy