Bad
Good

My son was a student there from pre-k- to 6 months of second grade. His second grade teacher was known for being stern and strict, but no one mentioned that she was mean and a bully. She would make a lot of comments that hurt my son and ridiculed him in front of his peers. When my concerns were brought to the principal, she repeated tried to justify the teachers actions as me misinterpreting what was intended. But it wasn't me that needed to be convinced, my son was the one hurt. He is homeschooled now, but hasn't been able to get a full nights sleep in months. He also never wants to go back to that school. The teachers, and principal are concerned with the standardized test and requirements, but seem to have forgotten the real reason they are there- to educate our children.

The new principal Dr Wiggins appears to be detached from the school. She is rarely if ever at any school functions to include PTA meetings and school performances. She has a lack of warmth or vision that is so neccessary to lead..

Ms. McRea has really turned this school around with high standards and expectations..

This is a brand new school plagued with old mindsets among teachers and administration. I would like to see reading tutors and reading programs for early grades, 1st, 2nd, 3rd. When i asked for a reading tutor for my daughter, I was told go to the library... I won't say who told me to do this.

I am a parent of a 5th grader and I would like to see more work other than science projects. I don't really see a need for students to do a project. I think students should be doing more work in the classroom and that will tell the teacher as to whether or not the kids are learning. Other than that, I am very pleased with this school.

Last modified Deer Chase Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.