Bad
Good

This is a wonderful school. Awesome PTA, Teachers, Admin. Staffs, and wonderful students. My all 4 children are so happy about school.

My son attended this school for second grade, and our entire experience with this school was awful. My son was diagnosed with ADHD when he started kindergarten and has been on medication since. Within a week of starting this school, his teachers were telling us that we needed to switch his medication. We did not immediately switch his medication since he had been on it for two years already and we had never had an issue with it. Our son had just moved to a new house, started a new school, and had a brand new baby brother, so we decided it would be best to give it a little time to see if his difficulty was just because he had gone through so much change in such a short period of time. Eventually we did end up switching his medication at this insistence of his teachers. They consistently blamed his difficulties learning on the fact that we did not immediately change medications when they told us to; the last time I checked, these are teachers and not doctors. His teachers also badmouthed another student to me while I attended a parent teacher conference with them, which I think is extremely inappropriate. Ironically enough, it was another student that has ADHD. Do you see the pattern here? My son's classroom had two teachers, one of which was supposed to be specialized in teaching children with learning disabilities and such. His previous two teachers, who were on their own, never had an issue teaching him or keeping him on task. The last straw for us was when his teacher called DFACS on us because he had a cut above his eye (which he got during a nerf gun fight with my husband). My son has never gone to school with any other bruises other than the normal little boy bruises from falling down, playing rough, etc. He has never been abused in any way shape or form. When the DFACS investigator came to our home, she was extremely confused as to why she was even there. We have videos of my husband and son running around like madmen playing with nerf guns and just being boys. I think it absolutely insane that a teacher would call DFACS over something like this, especially when there was absolutely NO prior concerns regarding his home life. My son even told the teacher what happened! We filed a complaint with the school, and we never heard anything back from the principle.

My children skip going into the school everyday and beg us to never move away as they absolutely love this school. PTA is amazing and so is the staff. One of the top elementary schools in the state.

It's a good school. I wouldn't say that it "exceeds". However, the school's music/chorus programs are wonderful and the art is amazing. I love how they have nurtured those programs. My daughter's first year and I was not very impressed with the teacher. I do wish that my Kindergarten student actually had a graduation as well. That first year is highly important and scary so I think it really is a positive to have them take part in something like that! Maybe I'm one of the few. I wish they'd cover the playground as well since there are zero trees. Parking during an event is horrendous. With that being said, the PTA is great and Science and Art Days are so much fun for not only the kids but volunteers as well.

If you have a special needs child DO NOT attend this school. Your child will not be educated. The leadership does not care. They care about their precious test scores and not to give special care to those who need it.

my kids attended this school for 2nd and 4th grades and we were very disappointed.the teachers did not challenge my daughters at all, they teach for the crct tests (and even subtract points from school work on answers that were technically correct but not the way the crct test should be answered), would not allow my 8 year old to check out certain books from the school library (because she wasn't old enough), lied to us about TAG testing, were constantly requesting money (my manipulating the kids' artwork into trinkets and always asking us to buy stuff), and on and on.

We are thrilled to be in such a great school with excellent teachers, and people that really care about education.

Barnwell is an amazing school...I have 5 children and this is my 10th year at Barnwell. The best PTA, teachers, and parent involvement....

I loved Barnwell. It is an amazing place, the teachers are great, and it is just as good as a private school. I especially liked that everyone is really nice in this area/community.

Last modified Barnwell Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5