Johns Creek, GA
Students enrolled: 1,585

Posted February 27, 2015
My son is a Junior and has excelled at Johns Creek. The only thing lacking at the school is the Math Department, which has some awful teachers. In the first semester of 9th grade, he had Leigh Ann Deisch. His class was an advanced math class with all students coming from the TAG program. He fell behind in the first semester, and I got him a tutor. The average class grade without adding any extra points, (which don't count for the Zell Miller Scholarship) was 79, this from a class of kids who made straight A's in 8th Grade Algebra and Geometry. When I contacted the school, I was given lip service. The tutoring was helpful. He has had scores above 90 ever since that first semester, and scored a perfect 800 on his math SAT. As I said, the problem was Leigh Ann Deisch, not my son. But that was the only problem he has had at JCHS. It is an excellent school with excellent faculty, with a few exceptions. My opinion of the Math Department is shared by many including neighbors who are or were elementary or middle school teachers.

Posted February 19, 2015
I'll admit, the counseling department is rather unfortunately setup. You have to be very well prepared to really benefit from it. But besides that, the classes are tough, and rightfully so, At John's Creek, you can really excel and show others what you are made of. Sure, maybe if you just want to coast and do nothing special with your life, johns creek isn't for you, but if you want to give it your best and be accepted by a top tier college, Johns Creek High-school can and will provide you with what you need.

Johns Creek High School 2

Posted September 30, 2014
John's Creek high school is a horrible place. Budget cuts must be ongoing left and right, because this is apparent in the quality of both the teaching and the overpriced food. Not only does my history teacher publicly embarrass me in front of the class, my government teacher last year detested everything I stood for. Don't get me wrong, some of the teachers are nice and helpful but honestly could use some knowledge in the field of teaching itself. I dropped an honors class in favor of an on level one because of the summer reading assignment, which I had barely escaped last year, was required for the course. Summer reading is the wrong solution to a problem that has been shown to exist in many students that do not read for enjoyment. However, as a student that reads every day of my own accord, this assignment was frustrating to me and I was unable to complete it. Additionally it is worth noting that I have cut corners on homework duty wherever I can because there is just too much! Hours upon hours of it every single night, including the weekends! I am a more well rounded student and I am starting to fall behind. This year is not going great so far and I cannot recommend this place.

Posted August 27, 2014
I just started as a freshman and I know I will absolutely love this school! To all the parents complaining Its high school! Students are expected to learn how to manage their time correctly and etc. The teachers are challenging but are always there if you have questions. I'm a little annoyed that parents are still expecting the school to babysit their kids. Isn't the whole point of high school is to learn how to be more independent in life. And all that homework? this will help your kid to learn how to balance school and extracurricular activities. What do you think college is going to be like? This school is doing a great job at preparing students, the courses are challenging but the teachers are always there for you. And about drugs.. Drugs happen in every school. To wrap this up JCHS is a great school and parents need to calm down.
2 people found this helpful

Johns Creek High School 4

Posted May 22, 2014
As a senior graduating from Johns Creek, it has been a wonderful school. Being an honors/AP student, I have had mostly great teachers and have felt the curriculum is challenging but manageable if you use your time wisely. I am graduating with 6 AP classes and a 94 average, and I have had time to get involved with sports teams and clubs in school. Communication is an issue at JCHS, and the counseling department is pretty scattered. Otherwise, it is high school so communicating with the teacher is the child's responsibility, and teachers are open for parent conferences. The school itself is beautiful, and other than a few shortages of textbooks I have had a great experience with the facilities/supplies. At every school there are some great teachers and some horrible ones, and it is no different at JCHS. Hopefully the new principal will implement some changes to evaluate teachers more thoroughly. Coming from a private Christian school, Johns Creek is on a similar level, especially in advanced courses. I feel that I am prepared for college, and am thankful for the wonderful education I have received. Parental involvement really increases the learning and supportive atmosphere.

Posted May 07, 2014
I graduated from this school and am now at a top 100 University. The teachers that I had (some) required a lot of independence yet were very available for office hours when approached. It is a great preparation for college life, where people will not spoon-feed you the information. Granted, there are teachers that are not as good as others however, making the generalization that ALL the teachers are incompetent is not accurate.

Posted March 26, 2014
WOW! I am so surprised by the negative comments! I have had one child graduate from JCHS who was an "on level" student. She did beautifully at the school and recieved extra help when needed. Other daughter is an "All Honors" student. Doing very well too! All teachers offer Help Sessions in the am or pm. My children took advantage of help when needed. At one point I needed help from the Admin&Counseling office. I recieved excellent attention and action to my concern. Both my kids have great friends with good manners. Most kids come from great families and therefore there are very few problems at the school. This is a GREAT SCHOOL DISTRICT to purchase a home. You will be pleased with all schools! There is a large parent involvement which speaks highly of the school. I got to know the counseling office, admin staff, many athletic coaches and many teachers. I have NO COMPLAINTS. This is a wonderful school!

Johns Creek High School 1

Posted March 21, 2014
I agree with other reviews in that if your child is "middle of the road" they are easily lost. Communication is horrible and the admistration does not hold teachers accountable. I contacted administration about the horrible communication and got no answers! A horrible school if your child needs any extra attention or help. I think they want to pretend that all students fit into the mold of "extreme over acheiver" so that they can discard the rest. The counseling department is useless. When I addressed the fact that no one returns phone calls or emails, I was told that they have too many students to serve! There is also a horrible drug problem at this school and it is totally ignored by administration. My child tells me that there are students visably impared in the classroom. Do teachers not see this??

Johns Creek High School 2

Posted March 12, 2014
I agree with all the other reviewers. JCHS is a frustrating environment for students and parents. My daughter has hours of homework ever night because the teachers can't control the classrooms so nothing gets covered. Trying to communicate with teachers is frustrating. There is no uniform method of communication. Some teachers use Edmodo, some use the hub, some use text and some use nothing. They put all the responsibility on the student for communication which makes it impossible at times. Considering how great of a school AMMS was, JCHS is a severe let down.

Johns Creek High School 3

Posted December 11, 2013
My feedback is similar to the other reviewers: if you have an honors student they will get through JCHS with no problem, if you have a middle of the road kid they will suffer from too much homework, quality of teachers varies, and teachers who should use better methods of communication other than swear words, belittling or embarassing the students. The office and counseling staff are useless, some of them very nice but you'll just get sent in circles anytime you have a question. I brace myself every time I have to call because I know person answering phone is automatically on defense before I've even opened my mouth. Kids not treated as individuals but as a page number in a county manual.

Johns Creek High School
5575 State Bridge Rd, Johns Creek, GA  30022
Last modified Johns Creek High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Johns Creek High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 28 reviews. Top