Jonesboro, GA
Students enrolled: 1,061

Posted April 18, 2014
I worked at this school for two years as a special education teacher and found it to be a complete nightmare. The kids were horribly behaved, very low academically, and even violent towards teachers. The administration literally locked themselves in a dark room with no windows and pretended they weren't there. Avoid this school at all costs! It's horribly for students and adults!

Jonesboro Middle School 3

Posted June 27, 2013
I think this school is moving in the right direction, but more structure and student activities need to be in place. Technology is plentiful, but everyone needs to get on the same page with each other especially administrators. Teacher morale is still low, and many have left as a result. The kids are GREAT, but need more guidance. Parents need to be more involved in a positive way instead of being concerned about toys and electronic devices.

Posted May 19, 2013
This school might be alittle hard but they do get you ready for high school. i am a 8th grader now.. I have been here since 6th grade. They got me ready for MT. Zion High School.Our admin. in the school ( Dr.hightower, Ms.Perry, and Ms.Bisch ) do not play games when it come to things like bulling and they are not scared to give you ISS, OR OSS. And our honors students are just great. GO BEARS

Posted May 03, 2013
This school is highly not recommended. Please buy a home or rent a place that is zoned for MD Roberts which is right around the corner and much better. The teachers and administration are only there to get a paycheck and doing the bare minimum is the standard. It is ashame that the school and the entire school system have plenty of resources available but they are highly underutilized. I have three children and my oldest is at JMS. It is bad when no homework comes home but the younger elementary school students and the surrounding high school students are jam packed with homework everyday. JMS does not do anything to prepare its students for high school and all the hard work that the excellent elementary schools have done end up going to waste. Two thumbs down to JMS. Perhaps an administration that is not politic driven will do this school good. Best of luck to you in searching for a good middle school, but this one is not it. My child also agrees that this school is not a good school.

Posted December 15, 2011
This school is most definitely, NOT recommended, and bullying IS most definitely, happening at this school.

Posted August 05, 2011
This is a GREAT SCHOOL! I love how it speaks like urself. JMS ROCKS GO BEARS!

Posted July 22, 2011
I removed my child from this school after the winter break of 2010. He'd received threats from different teachers and did not want to attend school. It may be better now because they have a new principal, Dr. Hightower. There was a lot of bullying in the beginning of the school year, also. If parents want to visit, we are required to give a two-day notice. I enrolled my son in online school, but he'll be back in public school since we've moved out of JMS zone & I want him to have the social experience that public school brings. If it weren't for that, I'd allow him to continue online; FAR BETTER CURRICULUM/opportunities to learn and be successful.

Posted August 23, 2007
As far as bullying is concerened at JMS it is not tolerated at all. The principal and her staff do not tolerate such nonsense. The teachers are very hard-working teachers who put a lot of effort in the their skills to help the students learn. It is up to the students to get the education that they need. The school has a diverse population. If you are looking for a school that well enhance your child with discipline and knowledge JMS is the place.

Jonesboro Middle School

Posted July 25, 2007
i too read the earlier comment about bullying, and i have not found any troubles as that in this school so far. my daughter is now entering into her 2nd year and my son will be in his first, in 6th grade. we are also a white family, but there has been no issues with that. my daughter loves it, and loves her teachers. they truly are doing a great job.

Jonesboro Middle School 3

Posted May 07, 2007
I currently have a 6th grade daughter at and have found JMS to be a very good school with great teachers. I read the post about bullying back in 2004 on this web site and was concerned and have kept a close eye of signs of this with my child this year. I have been very involved and actively encouraged to participate in fieldtrips and all activities at the school. This school has strict rules that the children are expected to follow. We are a white family and in the minority at JMS but have not had any problems at all. Our daughter loves it here! Middleschoolers are ready for more freedoms, than elementary school; however at Jonesboro they are given limited amounts of freedom but they still treat them as children. The teachers we have encountered have been at the school for years and still seem to enjoy teaching.

Jonesboro Middle School
1308 Arnold St, Jonesboro, GA  30236
Last modified Jonesboro Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Jonesboro Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 16 reviews. Top