Suder Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted January 15, 2014

They really don't have a support system for children that have learning issues such as adhd..ect. children that have any kind of issues it seems its a burden to the principals as well as the teachers . they treat these children terrible and seclude them from the rest of the class....Terrible school they hate to deal with challenge children. Need someone to provide trainings for the staff and principals on how to deal with these children in a humane way and programs set in the school to guide these children educational without single out the children

Posted August 23, 2013

I have a 5th and 8th grader at Suder and I love it. Although the school is growing each year it doesn't feel that way because the staff know all the students. The teachers are personable and professional. The curriculum is becoming more rigorous with each grade change and enough programs to keep the students interested. Excited about the new school year!!

Posted May 21, 2013

I am no longer at Suder but my boys have gone there since the 1st Grade. I had nothing but a great experience while I was there. As another previously stated, it also makes a big difference when you are involved with the school. I worked a full-time job, but I always participated in everything at the school. Parental Involvement is the key...I hear it from the teachers all of the time. This is a real parent with real words and not from the faculty.

Posted May 20, 2013

i don't like how they don't make sure that the students that don't learn as fast as others learn their work. i witnessed a kindergarten class one day. i went to visit and the ones that were slower than the others didn't get any help. and i don't like how they talk to the children. they act like they don't want to teach them. if i had not helped a few students with their work they would have never gotten it done. they just overlooked them. and my fifth grader wasn't turning in her homework and wasn't getting her class work done and we were not even notified about this. The second grader was getting a little more help but it was only at the end of the school year.

Posted January 17, 2012

GET WHOLE PICTURE!! I have a 5th grader at Suder. He's been there since 2nd grade. I was shocked when I saw the rating!! I don't think it does Suder any justice either. Let me say that PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT is everything. I am involved and other than some minor typical student-issues (talking and clowning around), we haven't had any major issues. I do know how committed the Administration is to truly helping each student succeed. Suder has the lowest turnover rate among teachers in Clayton. So that, to me, speak volumes, to the admin. Parental involvement can make or break a school. Is it perfect, NO, but no school is, or will ever be.It saddens me when I see parents, sitting on the sideline until issues come up. So parents, remember YOU HAVE THE LARGEST PART IN THE SUCCESS OF YOUR CHILD. Get involved and support your child and school staff.

Posted July 20, 2011

Suder is a terrible school, and I believe these ratings are coming from staff members. The students at this school receive lack of school activities, trips, educated teachers, and they allow minimum parental involvement. Principal and Assistant principal really show no concern for the students or parents, just a pay check to them. They have a terrible man in the main office that is very sarcastic and quick to argue.......Basically the school should be shut down..Everyone that I know has complained about this school so these ratings are impossible.

Posted May 6, 2011

EXCELLENT SCHOOL ON MAKING SURE YOUR CHILD IS UP TO STANDARDS OR NOT. IF NOT, THEY WILL WORK WITH YOUR CHILD. HELP YOUR CHILD ON BEHAVIOR AND ARE PASSIOATE WITH THEM. MY 7 YEAR OLD LOVES SUDER AND KNOWS ALMOST HALF THE TEACHERS THERE. TALK ABOUT COMMUNICATIONS WITH YOUR CHILD IS PAST EXCELLENT. MY CHILDS LOVES ALL TEACHERS THERE AND EVEN THE PRINCIPAL. I AM VERY PLEASE WITH SUDER MY SELF. THE RATINGS SHOULD BE MUCH MUCH MORE!

Posted March 1, 2011

I have had a great experience at Suder, I have 2 special needs children, and Suder has been great about accomodating and helping them. I believe that Suder deserves a much higher rating than it has received in the past.

Posted May 27, 2009

I am pleased with Suder, this is my boys second year at the school and I have had great teachers both years for the both of them. They are in the second grade and whatever issues that they thought either one of them may have had were brought to my attention early. One of the teachers I had this year was very good about staying in contact with me from day one. As far as the PTA, they had good intentions but I agree with a previous message that there was not enough parental involvement. There needs to be a way that these parents get involved. I think schools that have good things come out of them, have good PTA's. Mr. Hinton can be very abrupt sometimes, but I guess he is not going to let people get past him with all of the excuses, etc. that they come up with.

Posted October 9, 2008

I hate suder. Most of the teacher talk to the kids as if they were adults. Mr Henten in the front office is very rude and short with people, I use to thick it was just me but, I saw it done to others as well. Then school staff and teachers need more work. Kids are kids not robots.

Posted April 17, 2008

I have 2 children at Suder and am pleased with the school overall. The teachers do need to be more involved with the parents. The parents need to be more involved with the school. The PTA tries to do great things but without parental involvement, it makes it very hard. It would also help if teachers wanted to be involved. Unfortunatly, most of the teachers live in other districts and want to 'hurry home' to their own families. Academically, I think the school does just fine. My daughter is in the gifted program and loves it.

Posted January 20, 2008

My child is in her second year, she loves her school and I am very pleased with her teachers thusfar. The PTA is staffed by an entirely new board who are inexperienced but are trying very hard to do great things. I think that the parents with poor opinions of the PTA should volunteer, as their help would be very much appreciated. I have visited the school at least a few times and have been pleased with the way the children behaved.

Posted August 24, 2007

Our son just started his second year at Suder and we are very happy with this school - although every one warned us from moving to Clayton County. Suder's entire staff is very friendly, attentive, and ensures all the children's safety and respectful behavior. Our son's first grade teacher (Ms. K. Smith) was the most awesome teacher a parent could wish for - creating a structural, well organized environment, challenging learning and yet offering a lot of fun. Our new 2nd grade teacher also starts very promising - all teachers are usually very accessible and open to talk. The one thing that could use a little more improvement is the homework assistance during after school care for the younger kids who are not yet independent learners (to help working parents not having to struggle with too much homework late at night).

Posted August 23, 2007

My child has gone to Suder for Kindergarten First and now Second grade.His first 2 years were great and he couldn't wait to go.

Posted July 11, 2007

I am a parent of former students of Suder Elementary. I have been affiliated with Suder since 1992. Suder has outstanding teachers. The teachers are and was always willing to talk with me as a parent anytime. My children loved all their teachers. Suder's PE teacher is the best. She doesn't't realize the influence she has over the students. She is well loved by all of her students. I am now a part of the faculty at Suder and I 'Love' my job! I agree, that we could go a long way and Suder could be better with more involvement from the parents. With everyone working together, we can achieve.

Posted July 10, 2007

I am a former Suder teacher. I can honestly say that the years I spent at Suder were some of the best in my career. We have some outstanding students and caring and supportive parents. With students, parents, and teachers all working together, Suder can again be one of the top schools in Clayton County.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 7, 2007

My children have attended Suder for 2 years and have had WONDERFUL teachers. Outside the classroom is less than ideal. There are several things at Suder I am uncomfortable with: - PTO meetings are a joke. The turnout is GREAT, but there is nothing resolved except socialization. -The lunchroom. I've attended a few times to eat with my children and leave with a horrible feeling. Teachers do not eat with the children. 'Monitors' were hired to watch the kids. They have no relationship with kids and cannot control them. Lunch is stressful on my children, & that should never be the case. -Principal- Interim Prin. now, but the parents weren't even notified at the beginning the year that the Princ. was gone.

Posted July 27, 2006

My child is returning to her 5th year at Suder, and the teachers have been good. Its the disipline problem plagued students I have a problem with. I have had no problem with the teachers or staff, just the nasty behavior of untamed children who dont know what manners are.

Posted September 7, 2005

There are some outstanding faculty and staff members willing to go the extra mile for the students, but as with many students there are other members of the staff who go strictly by the book, letting policy, not the students' needs dictate their actions. Other than their outstanding P.E. teacher, the teachers do not seem to have the desire or passion of teaching or connecting with the students. Despite the great opportunities available and possible within the school, the discipline problems are becoming an incredible obstacle and interferring with the teaching process.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 25, 2005

This was my son's first year in public school. I was very dissapointed in his and our experiences at Suder. The environment does not foster partnership between teachers and parents. The PTO is a social club rather than a vehicle to ensure our children are learning. The environment at Suder is designed to ensure the adults (teachers and staff) are comfortable. The children are expected to behave as if they were adults. They are not given the opportunity to become mentally as well as socially mature. I find it is absolutely necessary for the Board to take a closer look at the leadership of this shcool. I hope these responses do not fall on deaf ears.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

115 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

112 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

112 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

91 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

96 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

108 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

124 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

96 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 3%

• Earnestine Hyche
Fax number
  • (770) 603-5197

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1400 Lake Jodeco Rd