Matthew Arthur Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 800 students

Posted April 9, 2014

Matt Arthur is a wonderful school! This is my eighth year as a parent here, and for the first time it feels like a community. The number and content of SchoolMessenger calls is perfect, and they always end with and, please tell your knights I said hello. Dr. Rogers supports his entire staff, interacts beautifully with the PTO, and is the ideal role model for the children. His love of children was evident from day one when he stood in the Grand Hall Lobby welcoming them and learning their names. Not only does he smile, but I have also frequently seen him stop to tie shoes, cheer successes, and encourage children for making better choices. As a former teacher of the year from a neighboring state, I would be richly blessed to teach at Matt Arthur with Dr. Rogers as the principal. I m sad to have another child graduating ; however, I am thankful we have the opportunity to school at the castle with Dr. Rogers, Dr. Harrell, and Dr. McDuffie for a few more years with our youngest child.

Posted April 8, 2014

I love this school! I have 2 children (one currently in HS and the other in 4th grade). The teachers are wonderful and the administration is very hands on and caring. There are plenty of opportunities for parents to volunteer and be involved at the school. I am truly going to miss it when my child "graduates" next year. Highly recommend Matt Arthur!

Posted April 7, 2014

I am a parent with two children at Matt Arthur Elementary. One child has a very loving, caring, and respectful teacher who is very in tune to the needs of my child. Unfortunately, my other child has a very harsh, demanding, and disrespectful teacher. Going to the principal is a waste of time because the principal does not care about the concerns of the parents. The school has pro's and con's just like every other school has. However, this school could improve tremendously by simply listening to parents concerns and taking them to heart.

Posted February 5, 2014

LOVE MATT ARTHUR....its great for my 8 yr old who has Autism...we have teachers who care about my child and realize that even though she maybe non verbal doesn't mean she doesn't know whats going on. So much better than where she went before. I can't even tell you - its like night/day....so glad we moved our child. GREAT SPEC NEEDS class.

Posted May 14, 2013

I love Matt Arthur!!! The teachers are teaching our children for the future!! They are ver attentive and have good relationships with the children and parents.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 29, 2012

Love Love Love this school. Teachers, Parents, Administration, and all the support staff are amazing. I would recommend this school to everyone!!

Posted September 29, 2012

We are absolutely pleased with Matt Arthur Elementary School. The principals each care about every student, greet them each morning in the Grand Hall and know them all by name. The teachers are very professional and communicate daily with each parent through the student s agenda and when necessary by e-mail, phone call or in person. The school faculty and volunteers at MAES are there for one reason only; the future of our children. The faculty ensures the best learning environment is provided through safety, caring, and structure. Matt Arthur Mighty Knights Rule!!

Posted September 18, 2012

As a parent and teacher, I adore Matt Arthur Elementary and Dr. Rogers. The transition has been easy. While each new administrator has his or her preferences, Dr. Rogers has really kept the focus on the children. The programs such as Mighty Knights and 5ht grade helpers (previously Dr. Hardin's Helpers - now Dr. Roger's helpers) provide continuity for the children during the transition. Speaking as a parent, I find Dr. Rogers more approachable, more willing to reach out to children and do what is needed to help them, and at least as caring as Dr. Hardin, as wonderful as she is. His door is open, he's genuine in his dealings with parents, children, and employees, and we really can't ask for more. He is certainly an asset to the school. I'm sorry the the PP feels differently, but I have no idea where such feelings come from. The school has gone no where but up since the new appointment.

Posted September 11, 2012

we love Dr Rogers, he is a blessing to us. teacher and staff are all wonderful people. i wouldnt put my child anywhere else. we have the best school!

Posted September 10, 2012

My kids and I love Matt Arthur! The teachers and the entire staff care about the kids and want everyone to succeed. I think the new principal has done a great job and has made the transition easy for the kids, parents, and teachers. Every parent and teacher I have talked to all agree. The atmosphere at the school is the same or better under the new leadership and I can't wait to see what happens in the future. I would definately recommend the school to anyone.

Posted September 6, 2012

My kids LOVE Matt Arthur and I am going to cry buckets of tears when my oldest leaves MAES for middle school next year. The school has been as much my home for the past 5 years as it has been his. (Thank goodness I'll still have a third grader at MAES). We loved our former principal and love the new one too-- maybe even more. The new principal is friendly and approachable and really cares about the kids and I completely disagree with the previous comment. My experience with him has been nothing but positve and since he has only been here 1 month, I think it is VERY unfair to criticize him already. Any time you change leadership, it takes a while to learn their style and expectations. That is a NORMAL part of getting a new leader and not a reflection on him.

Posted September 5, 2012

What has happened to this school!!! It has been on a downward spiral since gaining a new principle. It is not like it used to be. Nobody, even teachers, seem happy.

Posted February 1, 2012

I completely agree that Matt Arthur Elementary is one of the best schools in Houston County. All of the teachers are incredible. The principals are very accessable, they are seen every day in the hallways both in the morning and the afternoon. From the Med Tech, to the principals, to the lunchroom staff, and the custodians, they try to get to know each child by name! That is amazing in a school of 700+ students. There is great parent support, but I feel that is because of how welcoming the people working there are. I would HIGHLY recommend this school to anyone!

Posted January 2, 2012

This is one of the best schools in Houston County. My son excelled and had a great experience there. The teachers were great, the music program was excellent, and the principal was one of the best I've observed. Anytime I had a concern, there was someone who cared. This is a great example of how a school should be run, and I mean this sincerely.

Posted April 7, 2011

I have two children currently at Matt Arthur. It is by far the best school I have ever been involved with. The administration is caring and the teachers are the best.

Posted April 7, 2011

This has been our first year at MAES & I must say this is the best school we have ever been to. My daughter is a 1st grader & I have never met a more welcoming, friendly, & loving group of parents, teachers, and staff. Moving to a new school is very hard for a child but this transformation was very easy for us. MAES has become a second family for us & we love our school!! The educations your child will receive that at this school is top of the line. We are hooked on learning at Matt Arthur Elementary School!

Posted December 29, 2009

I was considering taking a job in Atlanta and was searching on the web for schools that were rated a 10. Out of the 100's of schools there were only a couple that had earned a 10. Just for fun, I checked the Houston County schools and was not surpirised to find that Matt Arthur had earned a 10. My daughter has been at MAES for 4 years and it has been an enjoyable experience. Due to the extra hard effort that Mrs. Faletto put into her reading, she went from a C reading level to atleast an M in first grade. Most days, she does not want me to pick her up before 5 because she loves the after school program and she is excited about getting involved in the extracurricular activities once she gets into third grade. I don't think we will be moving to Atlanta!

Posted November 14, 2009

The negative comments about the pricipal here are absolutely correct. I believe that effort is made and the heart is in the right place. But the results speak for themselves. Much controversy has taken place this year and nothing seems to have been done to make anything better. Starting in January, we will be home schooling our child.

Posted June 25, 2009

This school is great! I am a parent of a Pre-K student who will be going to kindergarten this year. The teachers are very enthusiastic and the energy in the building is exciting. I haven't had many dealings with the administration although they seem welcoming and friendly.

Posted June 25, 2009

My friend told me about this site and I was also shocked at the comments about the principal. I have dealt with her several times regarding teachers and she has been fair and friendly. The teachers are fantastic! Especially Mrs. Hall, Mrs. Lauritsen, and Mr. Payne!! I recommend this school to anyone moving in the area!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

113 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

115 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

116 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

128 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

104 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

School start time
  • 8:30 am
School end time
  • 3:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Dr. Richard Rogers
  • Coed
Fax number
  • (478) 988-6178

Transportation options
  • School shares bus/van with other schools

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2500 Ga Highway 127