Kennesaw Charter Science & Math Academy

Charter | K-6 | 920 students

Our school is best know for its culture of community and parent support

Posted August 3, 2013

KCSMA is a great school with a private school feel. I enjoy the personal touch from the staff and teachers towards my children. I love the new physical building and I appreciate the pursuit of growth amongst the teachers and staff. By growth, I mean improvement of classes, programs, and just the overall atmosphere of the school. As always, change requires time and patience, and when you believe in something, investing into it pays off. I want to continue investing in KCSMA so that I can continue seeing a wonderful alternative for Cobb County families...KCSMA is a school that strives for excellence!

Posted August 2, 2013

So glad our children will NOT be attending KCSMA this school year. We made the decision not to return because the school just didn't deliver the programs and education we were promised. It is true that some of the teachers are great, but not all. And the Admin staff. . . . We were very turned off by some of the remarks we overheard them saying about some of the students. Staff members shouldn't speak unkindly about children. What a disappointment this school was for our family

Posted June 25, 2013

We just pulled our children from this school. Although the enrollment is up, the administration is so poor and inexperienced we had no choice. Some teachers are better than others, like anywhere else, but this is no Math and Science Academy. They have a Science Fair, and only 5th grade and up are required to participate. The school is new, and only one science lab in the whole school for 900 students! No Math club or extra work. After the CRCT's, there was no homework for the rest of the year. Be prepared to spend two hours a night to supplement all that is lacking for your child to succeed at home if you are planning on enrolling there.

Posted June 16, 2013

We have had a great experience with the school. My only complaint is the "Specials." I am a strong supporter of fine arts and I dont feel the school places enough emphasis on the importance of Art and Music. I think maybe putting 2 or 3 classes in one Art Class is too much for one teacher to maintain control of the students. Other than that, we are very happy with KCSMA. Ms Fidell is wonderful!

Posted May 31, 2013

My son went to this school for part of the 12-13 school year. It was a mistake to send him to Kennesaw Charter. He went from loving school in PreK to hating school in K. The K teacher was not willing to work with him to build confidence and the administration could not be bothered to address my concerns. Withdrawing him from this school was the best decision we made. I am mad that Kennesaw Charter took the love of learning from my son. He has since completed K in a Cobb County school and loves school again and is excited to learn again.

Posted May 23, 2013

Our son won enrollment lottery for '12-'13 yr but couldn't attend till Jan '13 due to 3 surgeries on leg. Enrollment admin spoke with principal and said this wasn't a problem, place would be held. Inquiries placed with school from Aug '12-Jan '13 to rcv coursework for son to "keep up" resulted in responses that such measures were unnecessary. (Most Cobb Cty schools do help with this and some even send tutors to your home). Upon son's recovery, our son's spot wasn't available as it had been given away. We would have to resubmit to '13-'14 lottery if we wanted our child to attend following year. Poor experiences with administration of this school as the parent of a child with special needs makes me unlikely to ever attempt to place my child there again. Especially given the fact that my child will likely require surgeries at irregular intervals until he is fully grown.

Posted November 16, 2012

We have two children at this school and love it! We have been there two years. We have been very involved parents and researched our local public schools and private schools in great depth. My oldest child tried the public elementary school and found he was not challenged enough, he needed more individual attention and teachers that would challenge him. I really like that they have a separate science lab, computer room, and art room just to name a few specials. The education is tough, I am often stumped with the homework that comes home but that is what I wanted out of an education for my children, I want it to be tough and challenging forcing them to be pushed to their fullest. The children do start getting daily homework assignments in kindergarten even, which I believe prepares them. The school does a lot of "real life" projects, the teachers do not have to follow the required curriculum required of teachers of the regular public schools so they have more room to teach how they feel will have the most impact on each individual student and class. Great school, students, parents, and teachers!

Posted October 17, 2012

The lack of academics? For Kindergarten? I guess they should be learning calculus. Just wow.

Posted October 16, 2012

We are a second year family to KCSMA. My oldest child entered kindergarten last year and my youngest this year. That being said we had what I would consider an average year last year. The teacher/parent relationship was strong. The only complaint I had was the lack of academics. I equated it to trying to get as many kids on the same page as possible. I figured home supplementation would at least get him through Kindergarten. Well thus far 1st grade has been much the same. They are not pushing my oldest to reach that potential. We have also had issues with his teacher this year. I am a firm believer in discipline however I also feel like it needs to fit the action. The teacher is praised for her control of the classroom however she is not discipling middle school children. They are first graders and should be treated as such & not bullied. For awhile I have told my husband that most of these problems are probably par for most schools. I am beginning to second guess that theory. I pray things turn around because for my children stability is key. I would really actually hate to leave the school as most of the parents and staff are very kind & loving. There is a sense of family there.

Posted August 7, 2012

I highly recommend Kennesaw Charter. My Son will start second grade this fall and my daughter will start kindergarten. The school building is brand-new. I deeply appreciate the personal attention that the staff has given to my son during his two years at this school. He has seen great improvement in his behavior and learning. In my experience, the staff has always demonstrated a professional attitude. I look forward to another great year at Kennesaw Charter!

Posted July 16, 2012

I agree with another reviewer here who stated the school is good, but that it could be GREAT. My son is going into his second year here, and last year we had a few issues come up discipline wise. The teacher's were not my issue, it was the way the principal handled the issue with me and my child that had me concerned. Accusing my child of doing something that even the teacher said he did not do, and never apologizing for it, well, that is a questionable practice. Needless to say my son was diagnosed with a condition this summer and will now be on a 504. We really love the teacher's, students, and the parental involvement here and would hate to leave. But if it doesn't get any better for him I will have to pull him out.

Posted June 28, 2012

We are very pleased with Kennesaw Charter School. My two children are gifted, and the Quest Program has proved to be a fantastic experience for them both. The brand new school building is georgeous,, eco-friendly, and will provide lots of opportunities for outdoor scientific investigation. I am most pleased that Science has been added to the "Specials" schedule along with Art, music , technology and PE. This will give my chidren additional hands on science experience apart from regular classroom curriculum. I can't ask for more than that!

Posted June 28, 2012

As a Kindergarten parent , I am so excited about the upcoming school year. I feel so grateful that my child will be able to begin first grade at Kennesaw Charter. The school offers band and chorus, which are not available in my district school. Another reason we chose this school is the reduced class sizes. My district school is allowing 35 students in a classroom! To me,Kennesaw Charter seems to understand what parent want, and what makes for a progressive educational environment.

Posted May 24, 2012

This is not a great school but is probably better than most in the area. It has many things to work on to become great. ie: staff team work, uniform parent communication, standardized parent conferences, improved conflict resolution and communication to parents. They do a great job teaching GA standards but unfortunately they dont go above or beyond those standards. GA standards are not upto par with other states. The Principal - she has done a good job stabilizing the school after many years of ups and downs . She has also been able to bring pride back to our teachers and students, but she lacks interpersonal skills and her discipline practices are somewhat questionable. Her ideas sound good but once you deal with her on student conflict you can tell her apathy, disdain and disrespect for children and parents. Very unfortunate. After 6 years my child will leave KCSMA, I have been happy with the education they have provided and turned my back on many of the issues due to the school's challenges but is time they get their act together and start working as a team if they want to be GREAT.

Posted March 11, 2012

This is the best school in the great state of georgia. I love the teachers and the staff

Posted February 1, 2012

I am writing to express my profound appreciation for KCSMA. My family actually moved out of the area of the school and I enrolled my daughter at another school that would be closer to our new home, however, one week into the school year, I clearly saw that I had made a mistake and I pulled my daughter out of the school and we returned to KCSMA. My daughter was able to thrive throughout the school year. Mrs. Lawrence and Ms. Smith are a dynamic team and I am amazed at the amount of information that they were able to teach to the students. Their hands- on approach really helped my daughter to get the most of the school year. During the year my daughter was able to get involved with many extracurricular activities including chorus, band, cheerleading and volleyball, which she has been able to take with her into the seventh grade. The skills that my daughter developed during her time in the sixth grade at KCSMA, has helped her adjust to seventh grade and are skills that she will be able to use throughout her entire academic career. I personally thank KCSMA as a parent for a wonderful year and I will always appreciate our time at the school.

Posted January 26, 2012

My daughter attended KCSMA. Upon entering, my daughter's interest in school was indifferent to say the least. KCSMA sparked her curiosity and challenged her in many ways. She began to take an interest in many subjects. She received the support of her peers and teachers and she began to improve greatly. She was proud of her school and came home every day with a new story to tell. I commend this school for the efforts made by the teachers and staff to encourage my daughter to ask questions and to aid my daughter in improving her grades. KCSMA teachers are incredible and they made every effort to ensure my daughter was knowledgeable in all suject matters. She graduated from KCSMA well prepared for middle school and is doing great this year. I attribute this to all of her wonderful teachers and their interest in her. They always kept me apprised of her progress and provided input when improvement was neeeded. Her CRCT scores speak for themselves. I was so proud of her when I received them this year. She exceeded expectations in most all subjects. Way to go KCSMA! I would recommend this school to anyone seeking a quality education for their child.

Posted August 13, 2011

We are ready for back to school at KCSMA! The teachers are enthusiastic and have high expectations of all of the kids. The school administration has vision and a plan. Strong leadership is evident. The respect the teachers obviously have for administration is also evident. My children's teachers spoke of the planned science and math enrichment for this year. The academic program has really been taken up several notches in the last 2 years. In short, a strong academic program with high expectations and enrichment in math and science, strong leadership, dedicated and caring teachers. The perfect recipe for school success!

Posted July 17, 2011

We are entering our 6th year at KCSMA and I continue to be happy with the choice to send my children here. The school has been through a lot of challenges and changes but is now on a great path. Mrs Frey has turned many things around and has made such a difference. I admit to being skeptical in the past about if we would ever see a new building but I've never been so happy to be proven wrong. It is so exciting to see a building growing up out of the dirt on Cobb Parkway! We can't wait to walk through the doors.

Posted November 30, 2010

As the holiday season approaches, we all start to consider our circumstances and "count our blessings". I count being part of KCSMA as a true blessing , to me and to the community we serve. I have been part of this school since its founding in 2003-2004 and have seen many changes over the years. Despite many seemingly insurmountable obstacles, KCSMA has remained strong , and has reinvented intself into a high performing. science and math academy. We have endured two floods, a string of administration changes, and have escaped the grip of a stifling management company. KCSMA has emerged, stronger than ever, due in large part to our exemplary principal, whose vision, compassion and leadership paved the way for the passage of a second five year charter and the building of a new school. From our administration on down this school our commitment to our students goes "above and beyond". We have been told my our SACS review committee that our school "has the love of the children in our soul". I think that says in all.
—Submitted by a teacher

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 51%N/A51%
Female 49%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kay Frey
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• science and math
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Walmart

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Chess club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club
  • Robotics club
  • Science club
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year