Kennesaw Charter Science & Math Academy

Charter | K-6 | 920 students

Our school is best know for its culture of community and parent support

Posted May 16, 2010

In a time when Cobb County is increasing class sizes and cutting teachers with total disregard for the education of our children, I am especially grateful to be a part of the KCSMA family. I know that the best interest of my children is the number one priority of the board, the principal, and my children's teachers. My children have made great progress academically and have learned how to treat others with respect. If you are uncertain about what faces your children next year at your neighborhood school, come check out KCSMA, Trust me, it will be worth the visit.

Posted April 16, 2010

It is interesting how different people can feel completely opposite about a school. This is our 5th year and our 4th principal. Mrs. Frey is far and above the best of the ones we've had. She is happy to sit down and talk to parents. I'm surprised there are parents who don't know why the playground is not used. Mrs. Frey explained it very clearly at the Town Hall meeting. Between its age and damage from the flood this year it isn't up to code and would cost an excessive amount to fix. She asked for parent opinion on if we spend the money since we are moving to a new building in another year. Also covered in the meetings was the fact that next year we start with an entirely new math curriculum. The school is great now. Once in a new building, it will be out of this world!

Posted April 15, 2010

This is my first year at this school and I will not be back. The bathroom smells, the media center is pathetic and the Principal (well do they have one?). The only time she is referred to me is if my child is talking too much in lunch or during the carpool line. The computers are outdated and the math program is just sad. There is NO PLAYGROUND for the kids to play on and I see them just standing around in the field doing who knows what. The only thing my son loves is a man he calls 'Coach'. If it wasn't for him I don't think I could have gotten my son to return to school.

Posted April 13, 2010

'If you have a special needs child - don't walk from KCS - run' Another parent quoted this and I cannot agree more; Very disappointed and disheartened to think they only cater to those excelling of 'gifted' but leave the struggling child behind who have the same potential to be 'gifted' they offer no resources: parent encouragement: or tools to help these families. As a single parent this is not the school for us and really hoped it would have. First year was great this year is just completely the opposite and my son does not feel great about this academic progress. Last year he was so excited and now he feels discouraged. They dont seem to care for these students just their image with test scores and so its like they trying to weed out the rest. Well you got what you wanted we're gone!

Posted April 13, 2010

My family is thrilled to have found this school. Our son was struggling at our neighborhood school and getting very frustrated so we decided to try KCS. The teachers here have been just what the doctor ordered! He is still having trouble catching up to his peers but rather than getting frustrated with him and making him feel self conscious like his old school, his teachers at KCS have been so encouraging and celebrate accomplishments with him. They've really tried to understand HOW he learns and adjusting things to give him the best opportunity to learn. I've never seen a more dedicated group! I know some of these things can't be easy for the teacher but she surely put his needs above her convenience. I love seeing the confidence he has now. I'd recommend this school to any parent. They've taken my 'academically challenged' child and made him excited to learn!

Posted April 8, 2010

Kennesaw Charter Science and Math Academy is truly an example of what a locally-run school of choice should be. The kids all know each other, the teachers know every single student in the school, and the school feels like a big family -- really feels warm and inviting, like home. Everyone is encouraged to express their personalities and shine, which also make the school a lot of fun. The Principal, Mrs. Frey, has created something really special here.

Posted April 7, 2010

An amazing school. The time taken with students and with parents says a lots about what this school really values. When your kids are excited about getting back to school from Spring break, you know you're in the right school. What a change in just a year! The leadership and the teachers know where they are going and how they plan to get there- and it's always about the children. What a great feeling to know your child is safe and happy and being taught in a most creative and high quality manner. We are proud parents who look forward to being with this math/science charter right through 8th grade.

Posted April 7, 2010

Look no further for the school we all wish we could have attended as children! Kennesaw Charter serves a very diverse group of students, from all cultures, ability levels and socioeconomic backgrounds. My son happens to be gifted, but he would receive the same excellent education if he had special needs or was just an average child (if there is such a thing as 'average'). We love the staff, the communication with parents and the high expectations for all. The after-school program has got to be among the best in the county, offering all kinds of enrichment.. The teachers and principal seem happy to see you, and they seem to be conducting tours a lot. Seems the word has gotten out about this little school with great climate and awesome programming. recommend a visit if you have children who will soon be school age. There is quite a wait list.

Posted March 24, 2010

I have had my child at KCSMA for 4 years now. I feel the need to address the reveiw below with regards to families with young children. I have a child at KCSMA and a toddler. I am not denied access to the school, I am simply asked not to bring my toddler in to the classroom during instructional time. I do not feel that is too much to ask. Toddlers and preschoolers are distracting and disruptive to the educational environment and for the other kids. In addition, the school's insurance policy only covers students so to limit liability, they ask that siblings be left at home whenever possible. KCSMA welcomes and actively encourages parent involvement.. I don't want someone disrupting my child's education in the classroom. I am respectful of the fact that my toddler may be disruptive to other students so I leave her at home when I volunteer.

Posted March 23, 2010

I am currently a parent in my fourth year at the school. In the prior three years I was able to visit the school and my child like any other parent. This year when I went to the school to attend the fall craft in my daughter's class, I was told at the front desk that I would not be allowed entrance to the school. Since that day it has been a year of never ending frustration. It is now almost April and I have only been to the school to visit my daughter once this year. KCS discriminates between families with and without young children. If you have long children like I do, think twice about attending because the cost of attendance and volunteering is higher for young families. They require you volunteer but do not give parents like myself school access to the school.

Posted March 23, 2010

In reference to a the post regarding access to the school for parents of younger children, ir is important to note that the reason for this rule/policy is that the school's liability coverage will not cover children who are not students at the school. On the advice of the school's attorney, because of this policy parents can not bring toddlers and preschoolers in to the classroom to volunteer. Many neighboring elementary schools have similar policies/rules as well. Preschoolers and toddlers in the classroom can be quite distracting for other children and/or disruptive to the educational environment.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 19, 2010

We started our daughter at Hayes. She went their for K-1. Our experience at Hayes was awful and our daughter was all but failing. We moved her to the Charter school and have seem AMAZING results. Her self esteem has improved and she is so excited about learning. The staff and teachers are AMAZING. They really appreciate a child's individuality and accept them for who they are. They are able to adapt their curriculum to meet the needs and learning styles of each child. They teach the whole child and help them reach their full potential socially, emotionally and academically. This school is everything that a great school should be. I recommend this school to anyone and everyone, you will not be disappointed.

Posted March 17, 2010

I have a child in kindergarten and I don't know that I could have made a better choice for him. He is so happy and feels at home at KCSMA. His teacher is great and his parapro is great as well! We couldn't ask for anything better!

Posted March 17, 2010

Bit fustrated by the lack of curriculum structure at this school right now. Teachers are rushing to cover material and the kids are not getting it. Their only excuse is that CRCTs are approaching. Been with the school for years and did not expect this lack of structure after getting rid of imagine. Expected the teachers to be more organized and to improve parent communication but it seems to be going the other way. If they expect to become a science and math academy by next year they need to get their act together. When half of a class fails a test, who would you blame?

Posted March 12, 2010

School may have been a bit disorganized at the beginning of this year but that is what happens when the principal leaves and takes the entire office staff with her. School opened with an entirely new office staff who were thrown in there with next to no training or transition and worst of all, given inaccurate information! The is our 4th year at KCS and it is by far the best! There is more consistency than ever before, more communication and better morale. There is a renewed focus on what is important: student achievement. Teachers are getting training they need, stronger curriculum, better procedures. This is what a charter school is meant to be and we are thrilled just to be along for the ride!

Posted March 10, 2010

Our son went to Kindergarten here for less than 1 month! Disorganized, Disorganized, Disorganized! This school does not communicate with each other and the people who work there are very under-experienced and rude. We gave them chance after chance, but when we started to get ignored, that was the last straw. NOT Recommended.

Posted February 22, 2010

On February 19, 2010 the KCS Board officially terminated the school's relationship with Imagine Schools. This move definitely improves the outlook for Kennesaw Charter. They will no longer be spending almost $30,000 a month on management fees to a for profit company. I can think of many ways that an extra $30,000 can be spent in the classrooms! The 'sun' has officially set on our relationship with Imagine and we couldn't be happier!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted February 4, 2010

Is it possible to give more than 5 stars? because if ever a school deserves 6 or 6, it's KCSMA. My daughter is the youngest of 3 kids and is at KCSMA. Thanks to my husband's military background, we've sampled a lot of schools and this one is the cherry on top of my kids educational sundae. No school is perfect, and this one has its cons too (did someone say carpool?) but the great outweighs the slightly inconvenient 1000 times. Teachers are caring and supportive of the kids. The principal doesn't just say she has an open door, she really does and she has an open mind as well.Test scores are great, the kids are happy and they are challenged. Parents are welcomed. New discipline program is more about praising and encouraging the good than about punishing the bad and I see the difference it is making. A+++

Posted February 3, 2010

I cannot express how disappointed we are with Kennesaw Charter School. Our oldest child began there in 2003 when it first opened and we were very pleased. This year however is a totally different story with our youngest. The teaching team she is involved with is cold and harsh. The Board is only concerned with their agenda. As a parent you only have a voice if you are included in their inner circle. If you views differ from theirs, you better hit the road -- which we are. If you have a special needs child - don't walk from KCS - RUN.

Posted February 3, 2010

As the parent of a child who needs special accommodations and services at Kennesaw Charter, I can not disagree more vehemently with the review below. In the past, I've felt like an effort was made to do the minimum for my son to meet his needs. To the point of ignoring my request to consider a 504 plan and an OT evaluation for him last year. This year that was taken care of right away. Classroom and testing accommodations are in place. His teacher and OT stay in touch with me about his progress frequently. I also disagree about lack of parent voice. Most parents don't try to have a voice. They don't come to board meetings, didn't come to charter committee meetings etc. Decisions are made by those who show up! Show up, and you have a voice. 92% re-enrollment rate and a wait list at every grade speaks volumes!

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Male 51%N/A51%
Female 49%N/A49%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kay Frey
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• science and math
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Walmart

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Chess club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club
  • Robotics club
  • Science club
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year