Kennesaw Charter Science & Math Academy

Charter | K-6 | 920 students

Our school is best know for its culture of community and parent support

Sweep tile

Posted December 6, 2007

We believe our children are getting an oustanding education, due to our terrific teachers. Like many parents though, we are continually frustrated by the administrative issues, the problems with the management company and overall lack of strong leadership in the school. It's a true shame because this school has (or had) the potential to be a wonderful choice for families in Cobb County. Instead it's becoming a school of 'last resort' for many recent enrolling students and school officials aren't doing much to protect the vision of the charter and the initial environment for the kids. If not for the teachers--we wouldn't still be there.

Posted November 25, 2007

I don't think my children are getting any better education then at any other school. There are some programs that the public schools offer that KCS doesn't. I think that there are many issues to work on sadly have been let go too long and will take much time to correct. Only a teacher can make a difference in what you learn.

Posted November 12, 2007

We love this school. I have never seen one teacher without a smile on their face, even during carpool. I have found it very easy to get my volunteer hours with adhering to the policy of when parents can come into the school. My children are averaging above grade levels in all areas due to their committed teachers. This school may have some issues to resolve, but they are working on making it even better! My children are receiving an excellent education and it is still far superior to our local public school! I will continue to support the teachers and staff!

Posted November 3, 2007

Parent involvement is discouraged. Academics are subpar. Staf is unfriendly and unwelcoming.

Posted October 27, 2007

I am feeling very frustrated and saddened by the situation here. While I think my children both have outstanding teachers and I have been impressed with the principal (who I have found to be nothing but professional), the school community seems to be unraveling before our eyes. The building is not such a concern for me because I find it in no worse condition than any other older county school. What concerns me is seeing the attitude of entitlement of many parents. Parents seem to think they should be allowed free reign of the school with no boundaries. There are parents complaining that they don't have access to the teacher's lounge or wanting their child's teacher forced to allow them into the classroom to 'help' when the teacher has requested no parents in the classroom during instructional time. I am afraid there may not be a school to attend next year.

Posted October 25, 2007

I have a child in Kidergarten at this school. I am happy with her teacher and her willingness to reach out and communicate with the parents and get them more involved in the classroom. However, this school has huge negatives. The administration is doing a poor job, the facilities are unbelievably filthy. The school board has no authority and the managing company, Imagine, is unreachable and unaccountable. The new administration and its supporting staff treat parents as dead beats, uneducated and low class people. I just wished I did more homework on the school instead of listening to friends who are parents there. If I knew then what I know now about the school, I would have never chosen it. I will be pulling my child out, hopefully I can wait this school year out. Don't put your kid there.

Posted September 30, 2007

There is so much potential at Kennesaw Charter. Only time will tell if it will reach it's full potential or if it will flounder due to indecision and ineffective operational decisions. I hope that does not happen. There are fantastic, dedicated teachers who go above and beyond for these children. Unfortunately there are issues beyond the classroom that must be addressed if the school is to see long term sustainability and growth. There is a perception that the governing board is refusing to address issues; I am not sure that is the case but I do know they are refusing to discuss these issues openly with parents and concerned teachers. I love the concept of a charter school where parents have more input, unfortunately that concept is not a reality in THIS charter school.

Posted September 27, 2007

My children have been at this school for 2 1/2 years. We have been pleased with the teachers they have had, the curriculum & most aspects of our school experience. However my husband & I do not think our children will be returning next year. I am tired of feeling as though no one will 'be straight' with parents on important issues. I don't have confidence that the school will continue to move in a positive direction.

Posted September 11, 2007

I like KCS Curriculum. This is my daughters 2nd year.Teachers are great. I wish they have a much cleaner and nice building.( Bathrooms are really filthy). Wish they could provide school bus for the students. Parent involvement is good.

Posted September 4, 2007

I have 2 children at Kennesaw Charter. We came back this year hoping for the best and so far I love what I see! We ended the school year last year with low staff morale and 50% teacher turnover. This year with a new principal it's a total turn around. It feels more like a family. The teachers seem more motivated and all speak very highly of the principal. My kids even commented that the school 'feels happy' this year. Very active parent community, PTA that contributes close to $30,000 to school programs, teachers who differentiate instruction and now a principal who seems to truly care and want to see KCS succeed and flourish. I would agree that a new building is our next 'must have.' I would also agree that the school is flourishing despite having an ineffective and aomewhat hostile governing board.

Posted September 3, 2007

My children have attended KCS since the beginning. I have seen the school go through all kinds of changes but one thing remains the same, my kids are growing and excelling in their education at a rapid rate. My children ended the last school year almost 3 grade levels above. The school is immersed in diversity and parent involvement. The PTA is a strong active group that mirrors the school's goal of... children come first. Would highly recommend this education-friendly, family-oriented atmosphere.

Posted August 27, 2007

New principal and vice principal appear to be very positive, active and approachable. Facilities look better but still room for improvement. Teachers seem more motivated and happier this year. Nice alternative school option for parents who want a change. There may be no tuition but you pay in other ways. Dealing with the school governing board is frustrating at best. They seem unwilling or unable to put aside personal agenda and serve the best interest of all kids at the school. I am pleased with all aspects except the board. The good outweighs the bad. Good teachers keep us coming back.

Posted July 31, 2007

Kennesaw Charter School is a great alternative to Cobb's public school. If you are the type of parent that is very proactive with your child's education then KCS will allow you personally to be involved with your child education. Of course this school can not be all things to everybody. However, the staff and administrators make the children feel at home which impacts the children's learning capabilities. The school is a bit on the shabby side I would like to see some improvement. Get this, the 20 hour mandatory parent volunteer hours will give me the opportunity to help pitch in with painting, landscaping and other things the school desperately needs.

Posted July 5, 2007

I am very please with KCS. This is my daughters first year attending, they were in Kindergarten and 2nd grade and when I compare the level of education my 2nd grader was receiving at public school I am truly impressed with KCS. The staff seems dedicate and although the facility needs work, the students seem motivated and they are learning in a safe environment.

Posted July 3, 2007

I wish that this school was as good as it looks on paper. In theory it is spectacular, in reality, it is not. The facilities are run down, many many many of the teachers will not be returning next year, there is a major lack of communication from administration, there is not a gifted program. I will agree that parental involvement is fantastic.

Posted May 23, 2007

I am not happy with this school's lack of communication. The facility is dirty and run down. Per my childrens' opinion, the after school program is terrible. Good points; great parent involvement.

Posted May 5, 2007

My son's a kindergartner and we have been extremely pleased with the education he is receiving at KCS. There is a huge gym, a new band program for older kids, and free tutoring for students who need it. Parents and teachers meet at least 3X a year to review individual learning plans. My son is working on a 2nd-3rd grade level in some areas and brings home work that reflects this. We chose this school because it allows students to work at their level-not above or below it-and have been very pleased. The principal spends most of her time in the classroom so may not always be easily reached but that's b/c she's involved in the school. The facilities aren't the best, but a new site is in the works.

Posted April 24, 2007

If you are a parent lucky enough to have a great teacher, you'll probably be satisfied, but don't expect great things. This school is nothing more than average among Cobb County schools. No gifted program and no accountability on individual student learning plans. Physical condition of the buildings is not great, few extra curricular activities and lack of communication are big negatives. Parents are definitely involved, which includes sending their kids to Sylvan and Kumon for the basics their kids are not learning in the classroom! Smaller overall school population and uniforms are nice, but can't make up for the curriculum deficiencies as well as the declining test scores. A great idea in concept, but seriously lacking in execution.

Posted March 14, 2007

I am very pleased with the quality of programs Kennesaw Charter School offers our children. I admire the staff, teacher and parent commitment to their education. My daughter is doing excellent!!!

Posted February 21, 2007

I am very dissatisfied with the leaders of this school. The principal, and the board is very hard to communicate with as it relates to issues that affect the growth of the school in a positive manner. I have seen a decrease in the morale of the teachers and lack of direction. When one enters the Kennesaw Charter School, you will immediately notice the poor and unclean condition of the school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

73 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

71 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 92% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 83% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 96% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 74% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 78% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

67 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian 8% 3%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
Nurse(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Gifted specialist(s)

School start time
  • 7:50 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:00 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Kay Frey
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Fax number

• science and math
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Mathematics
  • Science
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Walmart

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts
  • Chess club
  • Girl scouts
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • Math club
  • Robotics club
  • Science club
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

Apply now

What are your chances?

1 out of 10students were accepted for the 2012-2013 school year.

Students accepted for the 2012-2013 school year