No rating

Foundations for the Future

Private | PK-8 | 176 students

Our school is best known for its progressive approach and hands on learning.

Living in Kennesaw

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $168,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,040.

School Official Point of View

Posted April 3, 2014

As you look through the reviews on this site, please give strong consideration to the families that have been with us for many years. We consistently have a 95+% satisfaction rate on our parent surveys. I strongly believe that partnership is essential to getting complete resolution. Being a small school has many advantages, including the ability to work one-on-one with families if any issues arise. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me to discuss. Sincerely, Lynn McKinnon, Head of School

Posted March 4, 2014

Foundations is a great school, and the teachers are amazing. The change in my child's interest in academic areas since beginning the Pre-K program at FFTF has been amazing and i'm so pleased with her growth. I feel that Foundations has done a fabulous job in helping to prepare my child for kindergarten. I have had a few issues that needed to be addressed, and am happy to report that the staff at FFTF is more than willing to speak with parents and resolve issues as they may arise. I velieve that FFTF does a fine job of preparing children for a successful future school experience, while also allowing them to have the freedom of exploration, and being a self motivated to learn and experience new skills.

Posted February 23, 2014

Great environment, overall great staff, and a home away from home for my child who has been attending Foundations for the Future for 6 years now. I have had few concerns here and there but nothing major, it was addressed and taken care of immediately through the partnership of my child's teacher, administration, and myself. I enrolled my child into a public school for a few months and ran back to Foundations : ) My daughter loves coming to school!!

Posted February 19, 2014

Foundations is the only place I would send my daughter! As a first time mom, I had so many worries but the staff and administration at FFTF has worked with me through all of my "moments" with understanding and support. My daughter has yet to have a day where she displayed any anxiety about my leaving. There are days she pushes out of my arms reaching for her teachers or just to get down and play. A HUGE benefit of Foundations and the most important one to me is they are a breastfeeding friendly school. I have been able to breastfeed my daughter at lunch and before I take her home for the day. They have comfortable areas where we can enjoy being together for a feeding. I have never felt uncomfortable with the staff about breastfeeding. Foundations also provides wonderful services to document everything! They send daily Discovery Reports with pictures of what they are doing in class. Now that my daughter is getting older, it is amazing to be able to look through my email and see her first days. I also registered for a Scrapbook service they provide, where I receive a scrapbook page each month. Foundations helps me by taking so many pictures of my daughter and sharing them with me!

Posted February 11, 2014

Found FFTF in 2007 when my son was 1. Enrolled immediately and have been there ever since. I now have a son in first grade and a son in a 3 yr old preschool class. They are excited everyday to get to school and it is their home away from home. This is not a daycare, it truly is a creative school for children - from the infant room all the way to 6th grade. The daily communication is my favorite part. With the daily emails of their class activities in my inbox before I pick them up, I am able to talk to my kids about their day and feel like I was there, even though I have to be at work. Forget the days of asking your child, "what did you do today?" and getting the answer, "nothing." Go here and you have the ability to be apart of your children's day and school experience, even when you physically can't!

Posted February 10, 2014

Foundations has quickly become part of our family. Which is exactly what we were looking for. With the transition of being a new parent and returning to work, you want somewhere you can trust 100%, and Foundations is that place for us. Everything expectation I was hoping to meet as far as communication with teachers, development, cleanliness, and overall open mindedness towards out of the box thinking, they had. I love the photo updates throughout the week, and that they are always doing new and exciting things! Having come from a family with an education background, it was going to be hard to except just the ordinary school system, so Foundations was exactly what I was looking for when it came to something 'more' for my child. I am looking forward to my boy's progression throughout the classrooms here, and have no doubt we will grow with them through the years!

Posted February 10, 2014

I love this school! I feel so blessed that it exists in our area. I love the child's interest-led learning; teachers are skilled enough to find creative ways to integrate standards of learning (colors, numbers, letters, etc) into my 2 year old's classroom. If want children to sit down and do worksheets, this is NOT the school for you. Children are CONTINUALLY engaged and challenged. Sometimes I feel like I have time to keep my daughter at home but I cannot come up with the creative, fun activities they do everyday at this school! My daughter has so much fun and is always coming home with something new she has learned. I love the daily pictures and reports of the activities they do in and out of the classroom. So many indoor or covered play areas for my child to burn off steam in this poor weather, as well large, natural outdoor areas when the weather is decent. Teachers are involved and always telling me specific things my daughter has said or done when I pick her up. I also have a child in the infant room, it is like a well oiled-machine (with lots of love too!); babies are changed and fed on-time/as needed and everything is recorded on daily sheets - AWESOME!

Posted February 6, 2014

We have been attending FFTF since my oldest was 2 and she is now 10 and in the 5th grade. We also have our 7 year old in the first grade. We love this school. If your idea of public school is perfect then this school is not for you. It is not a public school with the benefits of a private school, it is so much more. This out of the box school supports its student s curiosity and creativity. The children can grow at their own pace because, let s face it, children do not develop at the same pace. They allow the kids to learn at their own pace which leads to the kids loving to learn and even teach themselves. The environment at the school is so inviting and screams fun right from the front door. The teachers are very knowledgeable of the most up to date teaching methods and teach subjects based on what the kids are currently interested in. We are so happy to have this school in our community and would recommend it to anyone who wants their kids to enjoy learning and not dread it

Posted January 12, 2014

The teachers are great but the ownership is unethical and bias. They treat divorced parents with no care for the law. They do whatever they want not what's best for your child. Stay far away.

Posted January 4, 2014

So much potential ...... So little concern! This school seemed like the "perfect" place for our child. Great facility, security into the building was well thought out, decor was appealing, heated outdoor area for kids to play on rainy, cold days, Organic food when in season, photos sent to you of your child during the day .... had I died and gone to heaven??? NOPE .... simply a wolf in sheep's clothing! This school prefers parents come in, drop off your child, and shut up! Suggestions are not welcome, improvements cost money so they are not welcome, qualified teachers come and go because they cost money and higher cost are not welcome (the teachers were all nice but not = to the high dollars for this school) Ex: my child's teacher often spoke with horrible grammar such as "axe" instead of "ask", etc. While we were at this school, we witnessed teachers leaving without notice and the inability of the school to keep a qualified Spanish teacher which was supposed to be included with tuition. When you address concerns with the owner, you quickly come to her understanding ..... It is their way or no way .... guess what ... "you signed a contract, which they will hold you to"!

Posted September 25, 2013

I agree that this school "looks good" but it stops there. If you have a preschooler that is already docile, self-motivated, academically gifted and self-disciplined (who does???) then this is the school for you. If not, they will find a way to make you and your child feel unwelcome. They want this to be some school for top achievers (even at this young age), and if your child does not fit that mold, they don't have time for you. How discriminatory and unrealistic is that? The teachers lack the authoritative presence needed to successfully manage young children and they pretty much let the kids do what they want, when they want (picture a 4 1/2 year old refusing to potty train). There is almost no structure and kids are supposed to decide what they want to learn and when they want to learn it. If you actually want your child to be ready for kindergarten and accustomed to a teacher being in charge, you will be very disappointed at this school. Stay away!

Posted July 5, 2013

This school is one of those "look good pretty schools" but when you get down to where it really counts the staff they are seriously lacking. If you choose to put your child her look a little deeper. The highest they pay in the preschool is 10$ (average is 8$) for the elementary school it is13- 15$ an hour, far less than any other school and they do not offer any insurance. Even walmart has an average pay of 12.50 an hour and they require NO education. They advertise on craigslist all the time because they are ALWAYS hiring. The vast majority of staff do not meet state minimum requirements of a CDA. They do not fire staff even when they receive multiple complaints. While observing in a classroom I personally saw a teacher being very rough with a 9 month old (yanking him up by one arm) because she had unreasonable expectations. This school has potential but they charge the parents an arm and a leg, but the money does not go where it belongs. The money is going straight to the owners pocket and expanding the business. Parents expect they pay for quality staff but they are getting only the teachers who are willing to accept sub par pay with no benefits.

Posted January 2, 2009

This is the perfect school!

Posted October 2, 2008

My child is so excited everyday to go to school here! She loves learning now! The teachers, staff, and management are all very nice here and truely interesteted in inspring children to be excited about learning! The teachers are very creative and dedicated to helping the children learn and have FUN learning! The hands on learning approach here is AWESOME! All of the extras are great too ....my child comes home teaching the rest of our household what cool new thing she learned at school each day.....like Latin, sign language, science experiments, math related to cooking and measurment, art, and soooo much more! This school is definately a WOW! And their web based program to keep parents informed about what they are learning everyday is awesome it helps so you can expand on their learning at home! Very INNOVATIVE! Everyone here gets a five star from both parents and kids!

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Cobb County Green School (2011)

Special education / special needs

• Special education
Level of special education programming offered
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Gifted / high performing

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 2:30 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 6:30 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:30 p.m.
  • Lynn McKinnon
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • Infant
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Mathematics
  • Science
  • Special education
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Playground

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

Photos

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom