Kennesaw, GA

Develops grit: Agree

Posted May 31, 2015
This was our first year in public school. so i was a little unfamiliar with how to use the Cobb County resources. I feel the curriculum good be a little bit more challenges and strenuous.

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
The staff at Awtrey Middle school hold the students accountable for their behavior and the students are encouraged to treat others with respect. To do other wise is unacceptable and is met with corrective action.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted May 31, 2015
the teachers take a personal interest to ensure each students grasp the content before moving forward. Several of the teacher came in early or stayed late to offer students additional help with their subject matter.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
The staff at Awtrey hold the students accountable. The make sure the students are aware of what is expected of them and what the consequences will be. efforts are made not to just punish bad behavior but to use it has an opportunity to take corrective actions as well as an open discussion with the students as to how they could have made better choices.

Develops honesty: Strongly agree

Posted May 31, 2015
The administrators, counselors and teachers go to great length to hold the students responsible and accountable for their individual behavior. I saw fairness and consistency across the board. Students were not just punished for bad behavior but the staff at Awtrey took the time to correct, teach and educate in an effort to improve and change behavior. students are rewarded and recognized for good behavior which can serve as a motivator.

Posted May 31, 2015
This was our first year in public schools. It was a smooth transition and i didn't see where Awtrey Middle School lacked any thing my child received at a private school where I forked out $7,500 a year. I was very very impressed with all my childs teachers with the exception of one. She wasn't very responsive to my request. The Principal, assistant principal and counselors were excellent. the front office administrators were always helpful and courteous.

Posted November 24, 2014
I did HB251 to get my son in a better Middle School and he is now a 7th grader at Awtrey Middle School. I am very pleased with the staff of 7th grade teachers (Ms. lipscomb; Ms. Lytle; Mr. Perry; Ms. Smyre and Ms. Thompson). They are dedicated to what they are doing and and strive for academics excellence. my son is being challenged and all of his teachers see his potential for greatness. Ms. Evans as been a support as well as a blessing. I can contact them via email and they get back with me right away. I know my son will continue to do well at Awtrey Middle School because he has the support of his teachers as well as his family. Thanks for all you do.

Posted May 19, 2014
My oldest child attended Awtrey before Jeff Crawford was principal and before the opening of Barber Middle School. Awtrey has made a major transformation since this time and I am pleasantly surprised and proud of this school. Awtrey Middle School is an excellent school. All grades lead as a team and teachers are encouraging students to join groups such as band, orchestra, chorus. My child is an athlete but found he was quite a musician after meeting band teacher Mr. Sessoms. This school is focused on academics and challenging students to do more. The teachers are happy and motivate children in a positive way to do more.

Awtrey Middle School 1

Posted May 07, 2012
This school is the worst I have ever seen with issues of bullying. My child has bullies at school and on the bus and then they taunt him all the way home. No one wants to do anything about it. The school doesn't help with these issues at all. It's out of control at this school. I wouldn't recommend any parent to send their kid to this school. I know several parents with children going through the same issues.

Awtrey Middle School 2

Posted June 28, 2010
I am very disapointed by this school. The teachers try so very hard to keep the students under control, but the students still act up. The students are influenced by the wrong things. The bully rate is sky high here, even I had issues being bullied. The principal leadership is very poor also. And, the ones that are doing their work and making the A's are the ones being bullied because the failing kids are intimidated by their abilty to suceed. It literally takes 20 minutes for the the teacher to get all of the students under control. We spend more time getting lectures than doing schoolwork. Kids here love to fail and be a "bad boy/girl", they simply think it's cool.. The classrooms are way too big for one teacher. This school is cheap and has a terriblle learning envoriment. Period.

3601 Nowlin Rd NW, Kennesaw, GA  30144
Last modified Awtrey Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Awtrey Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 42 reviews. Top