Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

There are, of course, a few teachers who are clearly unhappy with their job or simply inadequate as educators. This is inevitable for a school. However, the overwhelming majority of teachers are excellent. Many are very good at what they do and even those teachers who are not the best at teaching often still possess a positive attitude and clearly enjoy their work. Despite the way some bitter parents may portray the school the teachers are in fact very good in almost all cases. In four years I have only encountered one teacher who clearly disliked her job and just a two who were incompetent in any way. Most teachers are fantastic not only as educators but are also friendly with students. I personally still say hi to great teachers I had back in freshman year. Its true that there are a few irritating administrators who could afford to have a better attitude, but for the most part non-teacher staff are very helpful and friendly. The excellence of all the other staff, wide variety of clubs and sports programs, and other extracurricular activities far outweighs the negative of a few bad administrators. PS don't listen to the "they only like athletes" comments on here. Not even remotely true. The school offers lots of great sports programs of course but I (as someone who plays no sport) have never felt slighted or that athletes received special interest from the staff. I hope this will be helpful for anyone who reads it. After seeing some of the outrageous statements made by some about this fantastic school I felt that I just had to tell the real story.

Supports LD students: Disagree

The staff comes across as overworked. Georgia does not invest enough in this area of education.

Effective school leaders: Disagree

The leadership needs to investigate some of administration and faculty for disrespect and bad attitudes. Some of the administrators only care about their salary and moving up which comes from recognition and test scores.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Teachers at this school are grumpy because they are working. They would rather stay home. If they deny that, thay are lying to you and themselves. Your student needs to be able to do all their work on their own. Do not rely on teachers. You may get lucky and have one of the better teachers, but do not expect it. It is not the norm.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Antiquated attitudes. They remind me of the old school spinsters from the 1960's and 70's. They need to be more creative and integrate more technology. Old-fashioned.

The sports teams information listed in other reviews about this school is true. The school administration wants recognition so that they can eventually climb to the top of the district and payscale. The employees have forgotten why they went into the teaching profession in the first place. Recognition and test scores mean more MONEY for them. The faculty and staff act as if they cannot be fired. Many of them are irritable. They hate their goverment jobs of being around students. Too bad some of them are allowed to be around minors. They are teaching our students rude behavior is acceptable. They need to get rid of the disrespectful employees. Now that the economy is improving, hopefully the unhappy "bad apples" move onto other jobs, preferably with adults. (It does help if your student has a family member that is an employee that works at the school.) It is too bad that young people have to be around such unhappy, disrespectful adults for so many hours 5 days a week.

Harrison is a great place to learn. My daughter has enjoyed her experience. I hope that the rigor will continue.

Though most of the teachers at this school are at least competent, and the students are fairly friendly, the administration turns this 4 star school into a one star school at best. Because of the block scheduling, moving your child into this school halfway through the year will be discouraged by the administration. If you manage to get into the school, they will resent you and you will most likely lose some credits. If you transfer from a school with a different math program, you will most likely be lost because CCSD changes the math curriculum here frequently. The administration is also mostly comprised of rude, lazy, unhelpful people. I had a 4.3 GPA and after moving here, I failed math. The guidance office was less than helpful, even after the several attempts to contact the teacher made by my mother were ignored. Everytime I have to contact the guidance office or administration, it makes me sick to my stomach because I know that something will most likely go wrong or I'll get yelled at. This school puts every priority above their students, enroll elsewhere.

Sorry you didn't have a great experience but your situation is not typical at Harrison. Both of my boys graduated from Harrison. One was in AP classes and the younger had a learning disability. Both had excellent experiences with teachers, programs and staff. As parents we were very involved with the school and received nothing but the greatest of support for both boys. We didn't always agree with everything the teachers said in relation to our son with the disability, but each disagreement was handled with respect. As parents we took active roles in our sons learning experiences. They both were well prepared for college and excelled due in large part to the teaching at Harrison. I know that our experience is far more typical of what Harrison has to offer. Very satisfied parents

I went to Harrison a few years back and had a MILD comprehension disability (along with a terrible GPA) Harrison highschool was nothing but a huge disappointment with helping students. Before graduation the assistant principal was in a meeting with my parents and a few of my teachers and told me and my parents "you're pretty, you can be a flight attendant..you don't have to go to college"...it was the biggest insult to me and my family. (My dad almost ripped right into them bc college is a DEMAND not a choice.) if you're a cheerleader or football player you will be set with the administration and staff because they care more about the sports than the academics. If your child struggles in school they will be "left behind." The only thing I will thank then for is giving me the drive to PROVE THEM wrong. I now have a 4.0, apart of national honors society and deans/presidents list. You should probably avoid this school, spend the extra cash and send your kids to private schools that have goals for kids and want to help the students.

Last modified Harrison High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.