No rating

Gerard Preparatory School

Private | PK-12 | 250 students

Student Centered Brain Based Curriculum Approach-Small Class Sizes

Living in Lawrenceville

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $128,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $890.

Posted October 3, 2012

I have over 3 years of experience at this school and I have to say this is one of the WORST schools in Gwinnett county, maybe even the entire state of Georgia. The school policies lack in the type of professionalism I expect from a private school. Not to mention that the fact that their staffing is NOT LICENSED TO TEACH. Need i say more? The curriculum is far beyond sub par by anyone's standards. Senior students take the same classes as freshmen students. This "school" passes as little more then a children's daycare let alone an actual high school. Believe me when I say that as a student of this school for three years that this has not only limited my ability to learn it has set me back and I now must struggle to catch up so I can graduate on time with an actual education. If you are thinking about going to this school DO NOT it is not worth the wasted education. This school has no idea what it is doing and it's obvious.

Posted August 8, 2012

I have been extremly satisfied with this school. It is a small boutique style school that caters to each student. The ratios are very low allowing interaction between the teachers and students and a lot of interactive learning. I love the music and arts programs, and the fact that they "care" about each student. It is very homey environment that welcomes everyone that comes!

Posted May 5, 2012

I'm extremely impressed with this school. The teacher to student ratio is great. Not allowing more than 12 students per teacher really allows for one on one teaching. Each child has the opportunity to learn in their own way rather than the square peg round hole mentality of large public school classes. State of the art facility with all the bells and whistles make for great learning environment.

Posted May 4, 2012

Gerard offers great off-site educational trips!! The kids just returned from Disney World and Jekyll Island. It was a great feeling to know that I could send my child on a trip with a loving staff that I trust completely! Can't wait for Washington and Rock Eagle!

Posted May 2, 2012

I agree with the post today by another parent. GPS is clear about their enrollment rules and the contracts signed. I think it is sad some parents feel the need to bash the school on this website or any other. Everyone has the right to "freedom of speech", but sometimes the line is crossed without thinking of the ripple effect it causes. If you don't like GPS or their rules, then please disenroll so another family has the opportunity to enroll in this amazing school! Thank you.

Posted March 1, 2012

Gerard Prep has been a great school for my son! The small class size and caring teachers have made a huge impact in his learning! The curriculum is taught in a way where the students actually learn it instead of memorize it and forget it! As a former educator for 16 years, I firmly believe in the philosophy behind Gerard Prep.

Posted April 16, 2011

We entered Branch with an academically normal 7th grader in which the public school system had made a very depressed young man. He never received praise for good work and the teachers seemed to harp on any negative action. We were advised by the school counselor that he had ADD. Our pediatrician told us this was totally untrue. After almost a year of Branch we have seen a total turn-around in our son. Gone are the days of coming home crying, depression, and feelings of failure. He is extremely outgoing. He truly cares about learning and is unbelievably motivated to achieve high grades. As far as the mixed classes (SB10) I really don t feel that has been an issue. I have been very involved in our child s learning and he continues to excel. If this was causing an issue I think I would see signs of it. In addition, starting next year he will have the ability to earn AP credits offered by the state through Branch. I personally am glad to pay tuition that guarantees that my child will be taught in a very positive environment, by caring and gifted staff, in a Christian atmosphere, where he is encouraged to grow. I don t think that a parent can ask for much more.

Posted March 30, 2011

Visit this school to see the difference real and intentional investment in every student can make! Branch is a wonderful school with excellent offerings! Small class sizes, full accrediation, on line AP classes for High School students , and YES! Archery, Chorus, Cross Country (in 2011), fine Arts and so much more. Just check BCCS out yourself and decide!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 19, 2011

Branch offers small class sizes, caring teaching staff and progressive curriculum. As the school grows they are adding on sports programs, learning through computer based courses (for AP students) and a more involved parent community, but the class size hasn't changed. My middle schooler has shown vast academic improvements, but best of all, finally is finding herself... We are blessed by this school!

Posted October 22, 2010

My child attended this school for 2 years - we entered on grade level - and left below GA standard - even after my child received strait A's for 2 years while there.. After spending $ on tuition and ALL of the "extra" fees and charges, we had to pay for summer tutoring just to get our child to somewhat of a standard.. Our child fit in well.. was well liked by students and teachers - never had a discipline issue, or a bad grade - we were very involved as parents and volunteered, as well.. They say some kids might not be a good fit - and that's why the families would have issues - our child was a great fit and his education suffered drastically. If you choose this school be prepared for poor communication, unstable staffing, and inconsistency in all aspects of management.

Posted October 22, 2010

My child attended Branch for many years, and did gain stability and a love for learning from the school. We left because GA standards were not being met and more than half of the students in the classes had some sort of learning disablity (SB10 program). Now my child is in public school and doing well in most areas, however working harder than they ever did at Branch (homework, studying for tests, and classwork). Language Arts lacked so much our last year that my child that made straight A's is now struggling to make a B!! It was pointed out last year that there was no Lang. textbook, no writing process was being done, and the reading book was for students below grade level. Now my child is struggling in this area becasue of what the school didn't provide!!

Posted September 22, 2010

If your child has special needs/learning disabilities and qualifies for the GA State SB10 program, then this school is probably a good choice. We were sold on the gifted/accelerated approach for our child but the opposite occurred over three years. Our child skipped a grade on the advice from Branch. Once it became obvious to transfer schools, our child barely qualified to attend the next grade level in public school. Our child is repeating the grade just completed at Branch while having to deal with the emotions from that decision. Now our child is back with their age group/grade level and all we did was spend $8k for...? Our child's Stanford 10 test score was in the 70th percentile, which is below average...but at the same time considered a Branch accelerated student!!?? The school simply doesn't have the resources (specialized staff) to do a combined SB10 and non SB10 class.

Posted September 12, 2010

Branch is a great school! Our children have been attending for 3 years. One of my children is on the SB10, and the other is not. My son would have been mainstreamed in a public school, so I hardly see the difference in him being in classes with "normal" kids at Branch. It is a lot less embarassing for him then being pulled out or having an aid come to him. My daughter is doing great- she enjoys the praise and attention in class that was lost in a large class in public school. The comment earlier about teacher turn over is not true. Most of the staff have been there the entire time I have been there. In public school, my kids had a different teacher each year- I could never have kept up with the teachers that came and went.

Posted September 7, 2010

Five of the ten students from my child's class were pulled from this school by their parents after this past school year. Of the five remaining, two were special needs & the others I have not spoken to. Tutoring & repeating grades seems to be the norm when transferring from Branch to another school. I see from their website that teacher turnover continues to be an issue. I do not believe any of the staff hold unique credentials to aid them with special needs teaching. The classes are not segregated so the teachers have to juggle various levels of maturity. We as parents absolutely wasted our family income while at the same time compromised our child's education.

Posted September 3, 2010

As a dad I really worried about my second grade daughter when told she was struggling with academics. When we found BCCS they told us they would work with her in all subjects. Their small classes and caring teachers surpassed our expectations. She loves school now and is catching up in all areas! This is a great school!

Posted September 2, 2010

My children are attending Branch for the second year and I couldn't be happier. They have grown both academically and spiritually. There are only half as many students as they had in their public school classes. Because of this, they have been able to accel beyond their grade level. Every day they are challenged and LOVED. Their teachers genuinely care and choose to teach as their way to serve God.

Posted August 16, 2010

our son attended for 2 years. he entered on grade level, received all A's and B's for both years. After several complaints about the quality of learning, we had him tested outside of the school. He was now way below grade level. We had to pay for tutoring all summer for him to attend a new school. They do not have special services for the special needs children besides lower expectations and lower grade level books. They do not maintain GA standards, even though they say that they do. We were disappointed with the lack of professionalism, honesty, education and staff.

Posted May 5, 2010

We had two children who attended BCCS last year and we pulled them out after one semester. It was a good Christian environment, but the quality of education is sorely lacking. BCCS represented themselves as a school that could help my son with his 1st grade reading troubles, and he made little to no progress under their 'expert' guidance. His difficulties were shrugged off as 'immaturity', and they failed to diagnose his mild dyslexia issues. We switched both children to Dacula Elementary and they both showed dramatic improvements in test scores and abilities. Our son got the attention and instruction he needed elsewhere, and now reads very, very well. I would strongly caution against buying in to the 'relaxed learning environment' that BCCS sells to prospective parents. I know numerous families who have been very disappointed with BCCS and pulled their kids out to get a better education elsewhere.

Posted November 9, 2009

My grandson attends and he loves it! Great Christian atmosphere, with caring and loving support from the teachers and staff! The great thing about Branch is kids learn and classroom size is small so that every child get the care and attention needed. I thank GOD that Jeremy has this opportunity in his life. Thank you Branch!!!

Posted May 21, 2009

I attended branch for almost 9 years and I think its the best experience I've had so far. It felt like I had a family away from home and I grew to love everyone. I was actually excited to go to school everyday. The education I obtained was excellent. During my time there, I would never change a thing.
—Submitted by a student

Asian 1% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 2-year college 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to 4-year college 95% (2013)
Percentage of students going to the military 2% (2013)
Percentage of students going to vocational programs 1% (2013)
Colleges most students attend after graduation University of North Georgia
Georgia Southern
AIU
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Community Service (2014)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Other health impairments
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Speech and language impairments
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Arts & music

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Foreign languages spoken by staff

Health & athletics

• Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• 7:45 am
School end time
  • 2:45 am
  • JGSinclair
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

Level of ESL/ELL programming offered

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Foreign languages spoken by staff
  • Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Arts and crafts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom