Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)

I have had children at Mountain Park Elementary for the past 7 years. My daughter just completed K-5 there. I have other children still in the early grades there. My children have always had great teachers. Of 12 different teachers, only 2 did not meet my highest expectations. One I liked, but she didn't match with my daughter's temperament and another that I did not feel was a strong enough math teacher. Otherwise, all have been fantastic! My older daughter still raves about them today and compares her middle school teachers to them. Being a small school allows the administrators to actually learn children's names and be able to interact with parents vs. larger elementary schools. It has a very "home town" feel. The PTA is very active and raised $35,000 last year to go towards school technology wants/needs. The kids love doing the fun run or read a thon and 100% of the proceeds go to the school (vs. selling things as other schools do). We only fund raise one time per year vs. multiple times that other schools do. We have out fundraised all our local area schools (Camp Creek, etc.) and they have a much larger student base than us. The PTA is welcoming and wants parents to get involved where they feel most comfortable. There are all sorts of things to do whether you're a working parent or a stay at home parent. The teachers are caring and focused on student success. My only complaint is similar to one raised by another reviewer. We are a small school and are funded based on Gwinnett County's School point system. That system works best for mid size to large schools. Schools under 600 students have to be super budget conscience with this system. Our school does extremely well to provide for students with what they are funded, but that is why a strong PTA is essential in covering the gap. Favorite Teachers: Morris, Newton, Raque, MacDonald, Reif (my other favorites are no longer at the school)

Concerned parent, I rently learned that teacher can be bullies too. If your child has any sort of disabilities they will quickly sweep it under the rug . It also goes higher then the teacher. Their tactics are to isolate to single out the child in front of other students to humiliate in the hopes of scareing them into subumission. My child became sick and depressed and stop eating from this so called protocols.... so if you think the children are the bullies think again.. I could go into details but I will stop here. Ask that parents be your child's advocate until they are able to do stand up for themselves. I have taking my child out of this school and is doing great! My child is learning on a much higher level now and is backed to self sweet and happy. Make sure that the school you send your children to is really about the childrens best interest and not just about the schools image winning awards.

I quickly learned that teacher can be bullies too. If your child has any sort o disabilities they will quickly sweep it under the rug . It also goes higher then the teacher. Their tactics are to isolate to single out the child iin front of other students to humiliate in the hopes of scareing them into subumission. My child became sick and depressed and stop eating from this so called protocols.... so if you think the children are the bullies think again.. I could go into details but I will stop here. Ask that parents be your child's advocate until they are able to do stand up for themselves. I have taking my child out of this school and is doing great! My child is learning on a much higher level now and is backed to self sweet and happy. Make sure that the school you send your children to is really about the childrens best interest and not just about the schools image winning awards.

Amount of homework: Disagree

Though I actually expected and wouldn't mind a little more homework, my children do have work to do Their projects, in particular, help them learn beyond the school day. I love that reading is a constant expectation.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

While we have had many amazing teachers, Ms. Donat stands out of the crowd. She challenges her students to excel, as well as cares about what's going on with them personally. I've never heard a single negative comment from student or parent about Ms. Donat. She encourages students in her class but also encourages kids that she doesn't even teach in the hallways every day. She not only cares about the students academia performance, but she cares about what they do outside the classroom and tries to make most games, concerts, etc., if the child asks her. We will truly miss her when we are no longer at this school.

Mountain Park is a wonderful school, and for the most part, we have had a great experience. While no school is perfect, this school does it's very best for the children there. It's small (which I love), and that often works against the school in terms of funding, number of teachers, etc, but the quality of the teachers at the school is really amazing. They do the best with what they have and what they get. The administration seems to listen to concerns and work to correct grade level difficiencies to get the right team in place. My only issues with our school really have nothing to do with the school itself but the policies of the county, including the amount of standardized testing and how they determine staffing. With eight years combined between two kids, we've never had a bad teacher. Sure, there are some stronger than others, but we have had some amazing teachers that also care about the success of my kids, both inside th class and out.

Teacher effectiveness: Neutral

I don't think anybody should use scare tactics on kindergarteners there so called protocols. To manipulate children with are without disabilities.

Amount of homework: Disagree

My kindergarteners brought most of his work home for us to help him with and he could do them just fine at home.

Develops character: Disagree

Because when the teacher called my child out on a constant basis for not being able to keep up due to the health and my child being sick on a regular basis due to all of the stress and the other children see this and they think it ok to do the same.

This is our first year at Mountain Park Elementary and as an educator, this is my first year having a student in elementary school. This has truly been an amazing experience. I must say that my initial viewing of MPES Great school score of 7, troubled me, but what I've come to discover is that my child's teacher cares about her success and that is what I expect. MPES is a safe and welcoming environment and I enjoy sending my little one to school everyday. I know that her education will be a quality education and I know that she will be challenged and that makes me a happy mama! I support MPES and I recommend this community based and involved school to any student and family in the area.

Last modified Mountain Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.