No rating

St. John Neumann Regional Catholic

Private | K-8 | 394 students

Our school is best known for academic excellence and community service.

Living in Lilburn

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $125,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted May 6, 2014

As I arrived to SJNRCS this morning, I noticed a dad and his little girl having a rough time at the front door. Clearly the little girl did not want to go in and the dad was struggling. I recognized her as the new student in KB. I took her hand and she reluctantly walked through the door. Sitting in the front hall were about 6 middle school students and a few younger ones. EVERY one of them immediately smiled at her. I did some fast talking about how they used to be scared too and they all just kept smiling at her. A seventh grade girl commented on how cute her backpack was and how she loved Hello Kitty too. The KB girl moved closer to seventh grade girl and miraculously seventh grade girl produced some magic markers and some paper and was down on the floor coloring with her within seconds. THAT S why you send your children to SJNRCS. EVERY one of those students went into Mommy and Daddy mode urging KB girl on with their smiles. THAT does not happen just anywhere.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted May 2, 2014

Education is the most important aspect of a good school. It doesn t matter how many extracurricular activities the school offers, if there is no focus on education. When the enrollment has greatly decreased for the past few years, you know there are problems that need to be fixed. When wonderful teachers and teacher aides are let go, parents need to be concerned. I don t hear of any of the administrative personnel being let go. That should have been where the first cuts were made. No one wants to answer any questions. The only time parents are appreciated is when they hand over a check. I think I will be taking my child and check to another school.

Posted May 2, 2014

SJNRCS Parent - Note 2/4 About 4 to 5 years ago, I did notice that the Principal, at the time, was starting to "burn out" and become ineffective as a leader. Changes were soon made, and we now have a Principal making SJNRCS an even better place for our children. My wife and I (mostly my awesome wife) do play an integral part in our children's education by making sure our children have their homework completed and are prepared for their next day of school, and I'm sure that's a big part of the fact that all three are doing very well in school. All our children do benefit from and enjoy some of the extracurricular activities they offer. Our children are involved in team sports as well as Lego club, robotics club, student government, and drama crew. They have more extracurricular activities, but these are the activities that are of interest to our children.

Posted May 2, 2014

SJNRCS Parent - Note 1/4 I am a parent who currently has three children at SJNRCS, and we have been a part of the school family for 9 years and even longer with the St. John Neumann Church. Our oldest child is graduating 8th grade this year, and my wife and I look forward to graduating our other two children from SJNRCS as well (we will be a part of the SJNRCS family for another 6 years). Parents can find good to great educations at some of the public schools and many of the private and parochial schools in our area. We, however, choose SJNRCS as we were looking for a place for our children to receive a solid education and, more importantly, to receive that education in a safe and loving environment from teachers that thrive in that same environment. Having been a part of the school for 9 years, we know we made the right decision.

Posted May 2, 2014

SJNRCS Parent - Note 3/4 .I did go to the SJNRCS drama production last night (first one I've seen), and I enjoyed the entire program. I was impressed that the entire show was run by all of the students (of all ages) from performers to the stage crew that changed the sets behind the curtains. I was equally impressed with how all of the students worked together for the task at hand which was to perform for the audience. This speaks a lot to the teachers that did a great job throughout the year to ensure they were ready to perform. I speak a lot about this only because it is fresh on my mind from last night. Getting back to education, our 8th grader will be entering all accelerated and honors classes in high school next year at St. Pius X which speaks a lot to the skills and education received at SJNRCS.

Posted May 2, 2014

SJNRCS Parent - Note 4/4 In a nutshell, the education our children are receiving at SJNRCS is solid, but more importantly, I have to say I love the "family" environment for which they are receiving that education. If you want your child to be babysat for 8 hours while you just go on with your own life for the day, if you want your child to be in an easy program that doesn't challenge the mind, if you want your child to look at their shoes all their life when trying to talk to others because they were thrown in a school that doesn't focus on character as well as education, if you don't want your child to learn and grow in an environment that teaches respect of others while providing an excellent education in a safe, family environment.....then go somewhere else, please go somewhere else! If, however, you want your son or daughter to obtain a solid education in a Christian/Catholic environment that will prepare them for High School and more importantly prepare them to be a person of high moral character with a genuine care for others ......then, in my humble opinion, SJNRCS is a great place to start....

Posted May 2, 2014

I have known Mr. Porto for almost two years now. He is a man of great discipline and faith. He is always willing to listen and take into consideration new ideas or opinions for providing quality education for the children. He has successfully initiated friendly dialogue among faculty and parents for better performance. Do not hesitate to take your genuine concerns to him. Pastor, SJN

Posted January 26, 2014

My child receives an exceptional education from SJNRCS. The teachers and faculty provide a loving and nurturing environment. There is a strong sense of community at SJNRCS that I love! I have one child that has already graduated and he was well prepared for one of the top high schools in Georgia.

Posted January 26, 2014

I am the proud parent of two children at SJNRCS. The education received is excellent and balanced. The faculty collaborates with parents in instilling a love of lifelong learning and fostering respect for oneself and others. Students are taught personal responsibility for conscientious choices. My children are involved in extra curricular activities that compliment the excellent education received at the school.

Posted January 10, 2014

SJN is a Blue Ribbon school. It is absolutely wonderful and a blessing for our family. The teachers and administration have high expectations for the students--and the students rise to the occasion. Many students continue on to well-known, private high schools. All SJN students perform service projects. They attend weekly mass. My oldest son is obtaining a strong math and science foundation in the middle school. I have a child with dyslexia and all teachers graciously make the accomodations necessary for my younger child to succeed. Some teachers have Orton-Gillingham training. Many SJN faculty have master's degrees and all seem to be well versed in inquiry-based learning using research-based best practices instructional methods. Both the principal and assistant principal have previous teaching experience are well educated and have nothing but the students' and parents' best interest at heart. The school is operated very professionally. Take a tour. Meet the teachers. Let your child shadow for a day--the school assigns a "Buddy" to your child. My child shadowed and came home loving SJN.

Posted October 17, 2013

My kids have been at this school for 8 years. The education they have received is excellent and I feel they are well-prepared for the public high school they will eventually attend. Over the time that we have been at this school, we have seen our children grow in knowledge and in their Catholic faith. The faculty and staff are responsive to the needs of the students and parents. There are high standards for behavior and appearance. The administration is actively engaged in dialogue with the parents and constantly seeking ways to improve the educational experience for our children. We live in one of the top public school districts, but I wouldn't even consider leaving SJNRCS. It's worth every dime!

Posted October 17, 2013

I have been at this school a number of years and I find the faculty, teachers and students to be very caring. You get a wonderful Catholic education and the children are prepared for high school.

Posted September 27, 2013

We have been so lucky to have found this school. We are getting an excellent way above average private education for our child and not having to pay an outrageous amount. The Principle listens to the parents and actually takes some of there ideas. The teachers go above and beyond to help. In kindergarten my son had to see an Occupational Therapist for sensory issues and the teacher came on her own time after school to some of his therapy appointments to see how to better help him and others in her class. The Vice-Principle is a master at helping teachers with students that don't have "in the box" thinking. The kids are respectful and caring for others. I don't worry about my child being bullied or dealing with gangs and profanity.

Posted April 24, 2010

It's teachers are fantastic, although you pay for tuition their method of teaching gets through to the children

Posted March 8, 2009

My daughter attends SJN and is learning alot, making friends, and is in a good Christian enviroment. She is not taught or made to be a robot. She is free from bullies in her class. There was one in her class but he left the school in October. The teachers and administration are very approachable and are willing to listen to what my wife & I have to say. This school is head and shoulders above most schools in Gwinnett.

Posted February 25, 2009

Indeed, this school is solely focuses on raising robots. Giften children are not only ignored here, but they are refused to skip a grade in the absence of any type of gifted program. The administration is stubborn and deceptive. This school believes they are head and shoulders above anything anywhere academically. However, they represent mediocrity at it worst.

Posted November 10, 2008

I wanted a loving Christian school for my child to experience kindergarten. Instead, his self esteem was destroyed. This was solely due to the administration and especially the principal. The use of humiliation as punishment only bread ridicule and bullying from other students. If you want to have a happy, well adjusted look for another school. If you are looking to raise a robot this is the school for you.

Posted October 24, 2008

My children have been attending SJN school for five years now. We transfered from another Catholic school and have never looked back. It is the faculty and staff who are the heart of this school, who make the difference. The teachers love what they do and it shows. There is a palpable warmth among the school community that makes it feel like home. In addition to that, the administration keeps an open door policy, both the principal and assistant principal are totally approachable and available at all times. My children are educated, safe and loved in this Catholic environment. What more can a parent ask for? St. John Neumann School is giving my sons the foundation they need to be well educated, successful, Catholic adults.

Posted September 9, 2008

I have three children of varying abilities and all have suceeded to the best of their abilities. Third grade was the toughest year, but k-2 and 4-5 were wonderful. I'm sure middle school will be great too.

Posted June 1, 2008

I agree wholeheartedly with the review posted on May 27th. They are my opnions exactly. I would like to add that students who are academically gifted find little opportunity for advanced learning at SJN. After 4 years of asking for advanced class work for my child, I gave up. The teachers seemed to just not care about my request, but managed to assign an overwhelming load of easy, but time-consuming homework for everyone. Also, the push to attend St. Pius High School borders on obsessive and provides an unhealthy emotional atmosphere for those who do not planning to attend St. Pius. I would not recommend middle school here if you plan to send your child to public school. Not only because of the focus on St. Pius, but also, the lack of advanced academics and extracirriculars such as orchestra, band and chorus.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 8% 3%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Mr. Alex Porto
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation
  • Roman Catholic
Associations
  • NCEA
Fax number
  • (770) 381-0276

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• None
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Library
  • Music room
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Dance
  • Drama
Media arts

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What are your chances?

7 out of 10students were accepted for the 2013-2014 school year.

Students accepted for the 2013-2014 school year
Applications received for the 2013-2014 school year
Students typically come from these schools
St. John Neumann Parish Preschool

$7000 - $9000
Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered

Planning ahead

Students typically attend these schools after graduating
St. Pius X Catholic High School