Edward L. Bouie- Sr. Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted Wednesday, September 17, 2014

I ve had children matriculate thorough Bouie and still have children there today. It s a very good elementary school. The only concern I have is which path the new leadership regime will take? I think over the past couple of years there has been slight erosion in the type of students attending this school. There used to be a certain standard that was demanded and students in the past lived up to it. The new leadership has to make a point to get the Word Out that Bouie is still one of the top schools in the county The stakes have been raised and now it s going to take new leadership to think out of the box to attract talented students back. As for the teachers, I cannot fully blame them for the slippage as the majority of them have were there when Bouie ranked among the best in the state. Large class sizes and fewer learners have limited what they can do.If we must find blame we must look in the mirror. As parents we have to participate in our child s education. Your child just doesn t one day come home with a C or a D that is the result of several C s and D s This current groups of parents want our child s teacher to do more for our children than we do.

Posted Tuesday, September 16, 2014

THIS SCHOOL IS A JOKE VERY OVERATED AND THE TEACHERS ARE THE WORST. MY SON TEACHER ACTS LIKE CHILDREN JUST WORK HER NERVES AND HATE TO BE THERE. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SCHOOL WHERE THE MAJORITY OF TEACHERS DO NOT HAVE PASSION FOR TEACHING AND HELPING CHILDREN LEARN. ALSO, IF THEY SEE WHERE YOUR CHILD COULD BE STRUGGLING IN A SUBJECT(S) , THEY WONT EVEN TELL YOU OR EVEN GIVE YOU ANY KIND OF SOURCES TO HELP THAT CHILD BEFORE PLACING A C OR D ON THEIR REPORT CARD. I CANT WAIT FOR THIS SCHOOL YEAR TO BE OVER BECAUSE MY SON WILL NOT BE ATTENDING NEXT YEAR. AND WHATS SO SAD IS THAT THIS IS SCHOOL YEAR HAS JUST BEGAN.

Posted May 22, 2014

Not at all what I expected. My son was in a private learning academy before he started kindergarten here. He was very well prepared to start school (i.e. reading, writing, etc.). We thought we'd try Bouie since it was suppose to be a "good theme-school"...wrong. It started out great, with an awesome, caring and engaged teacher. Then after that it slowly went downhill. His 1st grade teacher didn't seem engaged or happy about being there or talking to the parents. Now he is finishing up 2nd grade and this teacher was a joke, very unorganized, lazy and incompetant. Needless to say, my son will be going back to private school so that he can catch back up to where he needs to be. Good riddance Bouie Elementary!

Posted February 8, 2014

This school is a Theme school therefore, they are not very supportive of children with learning issues.

Posted January 23, 2014

This school is a JOKE. The teachers are the worst I have ever seen. They smile in your face and tell you how wonderful your child is doing all the while it is a lie. The teachers are not teaching at all, they are giving A's and B's when some of the kids can't even read!! Second graders can't read or do simple math. I am so disappointed with this school. The test scores will come out and that will tell the tell. But sadly it starts at the top. The principle is a bully, she has no leadership and she is really the root of the problem. Bouie has gone down under her so called leadership. These are our black kids, if we don't stand up for them who will?

Posted August 1, 2011

This is a solid theme school. In all the trouble that Dekalb County has had this past year, Bouie Elementary continued to perform well and maintain its credibility. The Discovery program is excellent and I wish that all the children could attend.

Posted July 29, 2011

Bouie is a good school for children that can keep up pace with the lessons being taught but if you have a child that is not as advanced this school is not equip to handle them. They do off EIP classes that are a total joke becasue the child has to leave their homeroom class to attend and often times the teacher is not there and what is being taught is not what the homeroom class is learning. Let me say if you have the funds to pay for outside private tutors or learning centers Bouie is a great school for your child if you don't then you will spend countless hours reteaching every night what should have been taught in class.

Posted April 19, 2011

Bouie Elementary widely recognized and respected throughout the state of Georgia as a really good school. I've had 1 kid pass through Bouie, one kid there now and another on the way in a few years. The school provides a nurturing setting for the children where it's not all about CRCT scores, although they are important but it's more about the development of the child. Now I will say... the teachers at Bouie have expectations: they expect the children to come to school in uniform. They expect the children to behave like they're in school. They expect the children to be prepared and ready to learn and they expect the children to give there best effort to learn a somewhat demanding curriculum. Shame on them! I personally don't think that this is too much to ask .What we have to remember is that this is a "Theme" school. Expectations should be a little different right!?!? Generally speaking the parent involvement is great at Bouie as parent hours are mandated. Although we love it at Bouie we also recognize that the school has some challenges that need to be meet? But show me a school that doesn't. I have and will continue to recommend Bouie to people I know.

Posted April 19, 2011

This is my first year at Bouie and so far so good. I have a child in Pre-K who is reading already so I am looking forward to the upcoming challenges. For the parents who have so much to say about the amount of homework given, you need to utilize the FREE tutoring sessions that they offer as well as the afterschool care (they assist the children with their assignments). Clearly there was a reason you decided to place your child in the advanced structured atmosphere so if it is too much for YOU then by all means free that spot for someone who would appreciate it!

Posted April 18, 2011

I was a Bouie parent from 2001-2010. The Discovery program is EXCELLENT. Saw many changes during that time - mostly bad. Also saw many good, concerned parents find better options for their students before 5th grade and I wish to God I had done the same. My younger child who finished 5th grade there last year had an exemplary school record UNTIL she encountered the 5th grade. Her main teacher made that year VERY, VERY difficult - not properly teaching the curriculum, not keeping up with the rest of the 5th grade team, loosing my child's assignments (and even a textbook that i had to replace), making errors grading her assignments, even marking her tardy several times because this veteran Bouie teacher did not realize when the school day started. I was warned by SEVERAL parents NOT to take these issues to the principal because they had done so in previous years only to have this teacher take it out on their kids. The 5th grade team as a whole was unorganized and negative and axed several of the traditional 5th grade privileges to punish the actions of a few. For the record, we did meet with the principal on at least two occasions but things really never got better.

Posted February 7, 2011

This school may be so called good is not.The teachers here are horrible and don't take consideration to what they say before they say it.The only children who get treated well is the teachers children.They are the only ones allowed to speak at the awards ceremony.Some of these parents are afraid to tell the truth.My child has been there a long time excelled but if you are not a teachers child forget it.My child is an honor student and does not like this school your better off going to chapel hill.

Posted January 20, 2011

Bouie Elementary Theme School in Lithonia, GA is a surprisingly very organized and positively engaging public school. I'm very pleased with our first year so far with us coming from a private school. My daughter is in 2nd grade and goes to afterschool which helps with homework (they have a lot) and weekly tutoring (even on Saturday!!).

Posted October 18, 2010

My son has been a student at E.L. Bouie since first Grade. He was off to a great start with an outstanding teacher, excelled as an honor student, citizenship, student of the month, but since has fell through the cracks along the way. All learners are not taken into consideration at Bouie. If your child is not a high acheiver that can excel on an accelerated path, this is not the school for your child. The teachers are not trained to adjust to the student. As a parent, you will find yourself teaching and tutoring your child into oblivion with unlikely results.

Posted September 3, 2010

I must say that my child has attended Bouie Elementary since Pre-K and now it has been 4 years, my child attitude towards school is very negative. The dislike for school has become stressful in my household some of the teachers are not supportive or caring as they should be when dealing with elementary students. I am very displeased with the opportunity to conference with teachers, and as always it's on their time. They send work home which takes 2-3 hours to complete which has overwhelmed my child. I don't feel that it's a warm and nuturing environment.

Posted October 20, 2009

I Love Edward L. Bouie beause of the beautiful children and the dedication of the parents in keeping hem beautiful inside and out. The children at Bouie have great self esteem, better than that the children of Bouie have great soul esteem.

Posted October 7, 2009

The school has about 20 to 25 students per teacher not 16. The school staff ( my opinion) only focus on the CRCT test. My child was an all A student from Pre K to 2nd. Now this is his first year at Bouie and his grades are dropping. I don't know if it is stressful or he just have to adapt to this particular school environment. I cant say exactly if the school is stressful, but to each is own. Staff is really nice though. I personally think that they are speed racing through the things that should be taught just to get to the CRCT assignments to keep up the school test scores.

Posted May 27, 2009

We just concluded our second year at Bouie and I was sadened by the lack of a cooperative spirit from teachers and counselors. It had a 'class system' feel to the environment. I made every effort to be voulunteer and assist and still felt like an outsider. My child's social development digressed and it was a stressful environment. I am truly glad the school year has ended; for my childs sake as well as mine.

Posted March 12, 2009

This is my third year as a Bouie parent and I have been thoroughly disappointed. The leadership, as others has mentioned, leaves alot to be desired and there is tremendous stress being placed on students in order to maintain a reputation. The focus on test scores is extreme, meanwhile master of basic concepts is a secondary objective at best. I have decided that I do not want to subject my kid to this level of stress anymore.

Posted October 28, 2008

Excellent teachers and adminsitration. Both of my chldern attend and the Bouie environment simulates one of a private institution. After school program is first rate. Go Bouie!

Posted September 18, 2008

So far I am really disappointed in the performance I see at Bouie Elementary. This is my daughters first year and I have not seen much progress in her academic success. She is in Kindergarten and I guess I expected so much more from this school than I have seen. Her teacher does not communicare very much with me about her perfromance. The faculty encourages you to purchase a Notebook at the beggining of the year that is suppose to keep you informed of updates and a means of the teacher communicating with you, but everyday my daughters notebook is empty, the teacher doesn't not write in it at all. Basically this school is just all hype, there really is no difference in this school and any other public school.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

127 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

128 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

128 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

126 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

131 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

5100 Rock Springs Rd