Posted December 18, 2014
This school absolutely needs an overhaul. I understand that the Principal is new to the school this school year (2014-15) so she cannot be blamed. Hopefully she was placed at this school to get it back on track. As a former educator I had my son attending a private learning academy from Pk-1st so that he could get a great foundation in learning. This year he is in the 2nd grade and I am very upset with myself for choosing Bouie over Leadership Prep. I believe if you no longer have a passion for teaching and are just doing it for a paycheck, you should look into a career switch. Teachers should be positive role models, engaged with students, and working collaboratively with parents. I am very involved and interested in my son's academics but his teacher seems to not want or know how to communicate effectively with parents. Also, the yelling at students thing, I believe students would respect adults and behave properly if they were spoken to and not at! Hopefully these staff development/training days will be used to actually develop the staff. In addition, the lady in the parent center should learn to be fair to all parents; not just the parents that she likes.

Edward L. Bouie- Sr. Elementary School 2

Posted October 01, 2014
This is my son's 4th year at Bouie. We struggled to get through the first year but figured it was due to change. We had just moved to Georgia the year before and figured this had to be better than Brown's Mill Elementary. Well... it is better than Brown's Mill and by 4th grade we finally had a teacher that we absolutely loved. She was caring and compassionate about the children and their learning experience. Now for 5th grade we are 6 weeks in and everyday it gets worse. The teacher has it very rude to the students (I've witnessed myself by standing outside the door). She literally yells at them. Tells them that the homework is on the class website so they don't have to take home the text book but doesn't update the site before hand. When I inquired she told me she forgot and it's done now. Well it's 7am on the day the assignment is due soooo.... My son has more stories about what the teacher and husband does, and the fact that she doesn't really like her other classes, than the classroom subject. My son that once loved going to school now hates it and on yesterday asked me to either transfer him or request he goes to another class.

Posted September 17, 2014
I ve had children matriculate thorough Bouie and still have children there today. It s a very good elementary school. The only concern I have is which path the new leadership regime will take? I think over the past couple of years there has been slight erosion in the type of students attending this school. There used to be a certain standard that was demanded and students in the past lived up to it. The new leadership has to make a point to get the Word Out that Bouie is still one of the top schools in the county The stakes have been raised and now it s going to take new leadership to think out of the box to attract talented students back. As for the teachers, I cannot fully blame them for the slippage as the majority of them have were there when Bouie ranked among the best in the state. Large class sizes and fewer learners have limited what they can do.If we must find blame we must look in the mirror. As parents we have to participate in our child s education. Your child just doesn t one day come home with a C or a D that is the result of several C s and D s This current groups of parents want our child s teacher to do more for our children than we do.

Posted September 16, 2014
THIS SCHOOL IS A JOKE VERY OVERATED AND THE TEACHERS ARE THE WORST. MY SON TEACHER ACTS LIKE CHILDREN JUST WORK HER NERVES AND HATE TO BE THERE. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A SCHOOL WHERE THE MAJORITY OF TEACHERS DO NOT HAVE PASSION FOR TEACHING AND HELPING CHILDREN LEARN. ALSO, IF THEY SEE WHERE YOUR CHILD COULD BE STRUGGLING IN A SUBJECT(S) , THEY WONT EVEN TELL YOU OR EVEN GIVE YOU ANY KIND OF SOURCES TO HELP THAT CHILD BEFORE PLACING A C OR D ON THEIR REPORT CARD. I CANT WAIT FOR THIS SCHOOL YEAR TO BE OVER BECAUSE MY SON WILL NOT BE ATTENDING NEXT YEAR. AND WHATS SO SAD IS THAT THIS IS SCHOOL YEAR HAS JUST BEGAN.

Edward L. Bouie- Sr. Elementary School 2

Posted May 22, 2014
Not at all what I expected. My son was in a private learning academy before he started kindergarten here. He was very well prepared to start school (i.e. reading, writing, etc.). We thought we'd try Bouie since it was suppose to be a "good theme-school"...wrong. It started out great, with an awesome, caring and engaged teacher. Then after that it slowly went downhill. His 1st grade teacher didn't seem engaged or happy about being there or talking to the parents. Now he is finishing up 2nd grade and this teacher was a joke, very unorganized, lazy and incompetant. Needless to say, my son will be going back to private school so that he can catch back up to where he needs to be. Good riddance Bouie Elementary!

Posted January 23, 2014
This school is a JOKE. The teachers are the worst I have ever seen. They smile in your face and tell you how wonderful your child is doing all the while it is a lie. The teachers are not teaching at all, they are giving A's and B's when some of the kids can't even read!! Second graders can't read or do simple math. I am so disappointed with this school. The test scores will come out and that will tell the tell. But sadly it starts at the top. The principle is a bully, she has no leadership and she is really the root of the problem. Bouie has gone down under her so called leadership. These are our black kids, if we don't stand up for them who will?

Edward L. Bouie- Sr. Elementary School 4

Posted August 01, 2011
This is a solid theme school. In all the trouble that Dekalb County has had this past year, Bouie Elementary continued to perform well and maintain its credibility. The Discovery program is excellent and I wish that all the children could attend.

Edward L. Bouie- Sr. Elementary School 3

Posted July 29, 2011
Bouie is a good school for children that can keep up pace with the lessons being taught but if you have a child that is not as advanced this school is not equip to handle them. They do off EIP classes that are a total joke becasue the child has to leave their homeroom class to attend and often times the teacher is not there and what is being taught is not what the homeroom class is learning. Let me say if you have the funds to pay for outside private tutors or learning centers Bouie is a great school for your child if you don't then you will spend countless hours reteaching every night what should have been taught in class.

Posted April 19, 2011
Bouie Elementary widely recognized and respected throughout the state of Georgia as a really good school. I've had 1 kid pass through Bouie, one kid there now and another on the way in a few years. The school provides a nurturing setting for the children where it's not all about CRCT scores, although they are important but it's more about the development of the child. Now I will say... the teachers at Bouie have expectations: they expect the children to come to school in uniform. They expect the children to behave like they're in school. They expect the children to be prepared and ready to learn and they expect the children to give there best effort to learn a somewhat demanding curriculum. Shame on them! I personally don't think that this is too much to ask .What we have to remember is that this is a "Theme" school. Expectations should be a little different right!?!? Generally speaking the parent involvement is great at Bouie as parent hours are mandated. Although we love it at Bouie we also recognize that the school has some challenges that need to be meet? But show me a school that doesn't. I have and will continue to recommend Bouie to people I know.

Posted April 19, 2011
This is my first year at Bouie and so far so good. I have a child in Pre-K who is reading already so I am looking forward to the upcoming challenges. For the parents who have so much to say about the amount of homework given, you need to utilize the FREE tutoring sessions that they offer as well as the afterschool care (they assist the children with their assignments). Clearly there was a reason you decided to place your child in the advanced structured atmosphere so if it is too much for YOU then by all means free that spot for someone who would appreciate it!

Edward L. Bouie- Sr. Elementary School
5100 Rock Springs Rd, Lithonia, GA  30038
Last modified Edward L. Bouie- Sr. Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Edward L. Bouie- Sr. Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top