No rating

Mount De Sales Academy

Private | 6-12

Student diversity

Special education

The school has not provided this information yet.

Living in Macon

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $105,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $540.

Posted October 26, 2013

MDS is an amazing school. I'm a current student there, and the teachers, administrators, and fellow students are great. Sure, there's cliques. But everyone fits in. Everyone accepts everyone. It's very diverse in its students. It's not like Stratford, or FPD, or Tattnal. It's a different, safe, educational environment. The teachers and administrators actually care about you. They know you by name, and they understand you. As a catholic school, we are required to take Religion and Theology. But it's totally worth it. We have astonishing academics. And amazing athletics. Teachers trust you. There's so much independence. I recommend this school for any parent choosing a private school in the Macon area.

Posted October 5, 2013

It is a school that not only provides a great education but also allows your kids to compete in as many athletic and extra curricular activities as your child may want. If you live in Macon there really is no other choice. Stratford is to expensive and has no diversity. FPD is the same and Tatnall cares nothing about education. The only problem I had was the forced religion classes but I guess you have to sacrifice some things to receive a quality education. I definitely had a great time at MDS.

Posted June 27, 2013

Mount de Sales has good academics, but there's a lack of comfort for students. I am a current sophomore at MDS, and no one gets along. Everyone is rude and cruel towards each other and the teachers either do nothing to stop it or go way over the top. I know that a boy got expelled for doing something a couple years ago, and then a girl did the same thing and the principal knew but covered for her and she was able to remain at MDS until people bullied and harassed her until she moved schools because she couldn't take it anymore. The president, Mr.Held, is very high strung and wants everything to go his way. He is nice but he never tries to compromise or meet the wants and needs of students, whatever he wants he does without thinking about the good of others. I wish I would've gotten out of MDS before high school, because it only gets worse. The cliques are insanely catty towards one another also. I recommend Tattnall Square Academy to any parent wanting their children to enjoy high school while also getting a good education.

Posted October 28, 2012

Mount de Sales Academy is hands down the best private school in Macon! They have a strong focus on academics, as well as on athletics. I am a student in the 7th grade, and all of the teachers are great, especially Mr. Rogers and Mrs. Webb! Every person I've met at MDS is welcoming and friendly!

Posted October 3, 2009

have helped my son progress at a hard time in his life

Posted April 29, 2009

My son is a 7th grader at MDS. The school is wonderful and Ms. Street/Dr. Gabriel are quite helpful when it comes to our child. I will agree with the other parent a bit more focus on academics, but overall students/parents should understand their are different types of teachers student should be prepared for anything that is required of them. Also as a parent, I tend to let the faculty to know where I stand especially on self-discipline and it is okay to tell my child that he can work harder if not attend detention for failing to turn in/completing an assignment. As a Roman Catholic, since the decline of Sisters/Priest it is not the same environment in where children flinches when a Sister/Priest walks in front of them. Oh well you can't have everything.

Posted January 29, 2009

I am currently enrolled in Mount de Sales aqnd must say that the education is excellent, but I sometimes wonder what I'm missing out on due to the requirements of a religion class every year. It is a Catholic school and I can leave any time I choose so I can't really complain, but not being Catholic it does get quite frustrating sometimes.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 4, 2008

MDS is a good school. My son decided to go to MDS and we were convinced it's a good school. It has a good program but I believe it would be better overall if they focused to be more competitive academically than with sports activities. Their extra curricular activities are amazing that makes you wonder whether they focus as much on the academic aspects that your child will require in his college years . It is a good school overall but it has room for improvement with regards to teaching life skills and social consciousness. Life is not all about self entitlement which I believe the school environment cultivates and the children thrives on.

Posted August 1, 2008

MDS does offer a lot of great class selections and there are select few teachers there that are absolutely amazing. However, the schools is in a terrible decline as many of the best teachers have left and most of the current teachers are very inexperienced leaving a chance that students get a great teacher and have a great class or get a terrible teacher that makes them not want to learn the subject. Although reputation precedes Mount de Sales, the school has recently started falling very short of it in recent years.

Posted March 27, 2008

Best decision I ever made for my child.

Posted July 31, 2007

My son graduated last year. It was the best four years of his education. Adminstration is caring and consistent. Teachers are helpful, flexible and very knowledgeable. The environment is wonderfully diverse.

Posted November 22, 2006

We had our daughter their for three years. Transferred because of bullying and teacher problems. The school has a good academic layout with lots of extracurricular activities. Very 'white collar' atmosphere. If you are a good ole down to earth friendly family, you may not fit in.

Posted February 27, 2006

Im a parent of a 9th grader, our educational expierence has been good thus far, however I believe my daughter would excell academically regardless of what shcool(private/public) she attends. We chose MDS over HOCO because of the school size,academics,and diversity. We have discovered that MDS needs to employ some racial sensativity training starting with the Principal.

Posted May 16, 2005

As parents of an 8th grader we have been very pleased with the education he has received over the past two years. The middle school faculty and administration are the best around. My son will be very prepared for his high school years. He loves MDS and so do we. W

Posted March 25, 2005

Late breaking news. I recently decided to transfer my daughter back into public high school. When Mount de Sales sent her transcript We found out they won't transfer her Algebra credit or her Geometry credit. She took advanced maths in 7th and eith grades to get ahead. So now the choice is summer school for classes she got (A)s in. So if you can't plan on being at Mount de Sales until graduation it's probably a bad idea to start there as all of your work will not transfer to another school. When we started at this school 8 years ago with our oldest child No one informed us that there might be a problem of getting credits transfered.

Posted January 20, 2005

I am not a former student or a students mother. Better yet, i am a current 9th grader at Mount de Sales. MDS is a wonderful school. I went to public school until 8th grade. This is mt first year at MDS. The teachers are very flexible. They are always willing to stay before or after school with you to help you with your homework or classwork. Pricipal Midkiff is awesome! MDS has plenty of clubs, everything form Key Club to Japanese Club. Mount de Sales is the place to be!
—Submitted by a student

Posted December 4, 2004

The best decision we ever made.

Posted May 14, 2004

I am a parent of a MDS graduate who is not entering the education department at UGA. She rooms with two other MDS grads, one who is a speech pathology major and the other is pre-vet. It was interesting for me to see these three students make the transition to college life seamlessly while those aroung them struggled. How many times have I heard my daughter say 'I'm so glad Mt.de Sales prepared me as well as they did.' I am looking forward to sending my other daughter to the new sixth grade in the fall.

Posted September 9, 2003

I'm not a parent of MDS but a very recent graduate. I really appreciate my Mount de Sales education now that I'm in public college. There are so many people here from all over but most of their educations have been incomplete. They are not used to studying or doing work out of class, so they are shocked about college work. I m better prepared though because of the rigors of my Catholic education. I can t wait for Homecoming week so I can go back and see some of the teachers that influenced me and loved me. I would recommend Mount de Sales Academy to anyone who feels the public school system might not be up to snuff. In my opinion to get the best education in Macon, MDS is the place to be.

Posted September 1, 2003

My child wakes up in the morning ready to go to school every morning and she comes home excited and full of stories about what happened in school, what they did in French, English, Biology, etc. Moving our child to Mount de Sales in 7th grade was the best decision my husband and I have made for her.

Arts & music

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • NCEA

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious