Hickory Hills Elementary School

Charter | PK-5

Posted September 8, 2013

I work as a preschool teacher for a private school where I had my son attending. I took him out because he didn't seem to get the attention or education he needed, he was also picking up bad behaviors from other students. My husband and I moved him here and we were immediately happy. His teacher was always in communication with us and worked very hard to help us get our son back on the right track. He is doing very well there again this year and again I am pleased with the open communication between his teacher and us. The staff are friendly and welcoming, they put in a lot of time, effort and hard work. We couldn't be happier!

Posted August 30, 2013

I live in the neighborhood and recently visited the school to see for myself what level of education is provided. I was pleased to see such a wonderful and creative school in my neighborhood! Our neighbors whose children attend Hickory Hills are very pleased. I was in the school most of the day and did not observe any negative behaviors from faculty, staff or students. Overall, the school appears to be exactly what parents want in an elementary school: rigorous course work, a fun learning environment, and caring, involved faculty.

Posted July 31, 2013

Racial problems are visible in the 4th and 5th grade. Many parents pull children out because of the way those teachers talk to the students. Often calling them names. Parents have gone to administration before but it still continues. MCAA is the only saving grace if your child is smart enough to get in. Otherwise, you are stuck. Sadly, the new administration is coming from a school in cobb that just isn't up to par. The test scores from Hickory Hills are the lowest in the district. If you can, apply to another school, because this is just a sinking ship. It seems if you are not white, your voice doesn't matter here, sadly, a common theme it seems for this school. White parents get to group all their kids into one class... it's very obvious

Posted July 9, 2013

We started our daughter here in K, and she went through 1 and 2, but now that we made it to 3rd grade, we decided to move her over to MCAA. Luckily she was grouped with "similar" children as she was in the minority here, and they had the teachers we as parents requested. It was fine when they were younger, but as they get older, we knew we had to make a change. We are not fond of any 3-5 teachers at this school, and sadly have heard horror stories about the ways the 5th grade teachers talk to kids. Several parents have made this aware to admin and although they are changing people around, it still doesn't help. MCAA just can offer more for 3-5 than sadly this school can. The demographics are not what they need to be. Too much change yearly, and with the new admin, they are young and trying too many changes that it feels like most staff are resisting. We are excited about the work our daughter will do at MCAA, and that a good amount of her friends are moving over too. Sad to see what this school has become in retrospect to what it used to be.

Posted June 27, 2013

We started at Hickory Hills last August and I went into it a little nervous about sending my kindergartener to a public school. I have been blown away by the love and care that my daughter has received. Each teacher (art, music, dance, drama and classroom) made her feel welcome, accepted and valued. This is such a beautiful environment for children to explore their talents and gifting and become uniquely "them". We LOVE the staff and the small classes. We could not be happier.

Posted May 17, 2013

I have 2 children at Hickory Hills. We have been at the school for 3 years now. I could not have prayed for a better neighborhood school. The administration has an open door policy and makes EVERY effort to listen to what I have to say. The teachers we have had make my children and me feel important and welcome. Love this school.

Posted May 16, 2013

I pulled my child out of hickory hills. I do not find the staff kind, the parents who are running the PTA seem to bully parents who don't have time to be there or they just look down on them. The teachers seem cold to the kids, and the 4th and 5th grade team members are just plain mean to the kids. My daughter LOVED her teacher last year until they kicked him out, and this year her teacher called her stupid and was ugly to her, so we pulled her out to home school. The administration doesn't care, and the MCS system doesn't care about parents, just titles and awards... no matter how they have to get there... pull your child and put them in MCAA, its a better program. This school hosts kids who could care less sadly

Posted May 28, 2012

Georgia PTA has selected the Hickory Hills Elementary School PTA as a Model PTA (one of two in the Marietta City Schools system). Additionally, the Principal was selected as the Outstanding Elementary School Principal for the state of Georgia for 2012.

Posted September 27, 2010

Hickory Hills has been a great fit for our Kindergartener! The dedication of the faculty is evident upon walking through the doors!

Posted January 27, 2010

If you have not visited this school in person, you are really missing out. When you walk in the school, you get the feeling that this is what an elementary school should be. The integrated arts program is not a performing arts program. Children are engaged and they love to learn. Most of all, the teachers really care about their students and their ability to succeed. I wish I went to an elementary school like this!

Posted August 11, 2009

So far i love this school they have the tools needed to help my child further his career...i like the fact that they have different classed they go to throughout the day...thier class, dance, music, art, drama, etc...I love it!

Posted April 17, 2009

My oldest son started at Hickory Hills in the Fall of 2005 and my second son started in the Fall of 2006. We have had a wonderful experience! My children NEVER say they don't want to go to school! They absolutely LOVE Hickory Hills! The staff is fabulous! Teachers not only care about the teaching end of the spectrum but also develop great, close connections with the parents. I have never had a problem getting in contact with anyone from the principal on down! Even the janitors and lunchroom staff are absolutely wonderful! You can tell they all enjoy what they do and where their job is. It's a wonderful feeling to actually feel like your child's school is an extension of your family! We are thrilled to be involved in Marietta's gem of a neighborhood school where academics AND self esteem excel!

Posted October 12, 2008

This school is horrible. As a parent who has been in the school I have seen kids reprimanded in front of audiences for things they have done wrong. I feel the teachers, in general, have a lack of enthusiasm. The principals do not try to get any spirit into the school.

Posted September 24, 2008

I absolutely love Hickory Hills. This is my daughters first year there and she loves the school. Mr. Schellhase is awesome.

Posted September 21, 2008

Discipline is a real problem. There is a lot of yelling at kids in the cafeteria and in some primary classrooms. If you have to yell you are out of control. The school does have a friendly atmosphere but it only takes one bad teacher to destroy the experience.

Posted November 20, 2005

My children attended this school for a year and a half and it is no wonder that this school is doing so bad in Math. They will keep refering to their math Program as having a 'Spiral effect' And all it seemed to do was spiral down. My daughter had straight As but was 6 months behind in math when we moved. My son and his teacher did not do well and I requested a teacher change because he got As with every subject not taught by his home room teacher and Cs or Ds with her. In the new school he is back on track and getting good grades. Low expectations produce low results. If you cross Powder springs to Dunleith you will get much better education. The staff is nice it is just Very Very low expectations.

Posted November 2, 2005

The excellent magnet/charter programs mean that this is still an excellent place for parents who want their children to attend ivy league institutions to buy a home. It is one of the last hidden affordable bastions for a top-notch public school education.

Posted October 13, 2005

I have found the teachers at Hickory Hills to be very engaged with both the students and their parents, willing to take time via email, phone calls, or in person. Regular parent-teacher meetings have kept me informed of progress or any issues I need to focus on with my children. Our kids also participate in the before and after school programs which have planned agendas that include homework, a set activity for the day, and fun. My kids love Hickory Hills.

Posted May 22, 2005

My children came to this school last year. I didn't really care for my son's teacher. The teachers do not respond to notes until weeks later and then it doesn't matter. You can't get in touch with anyone after school because everyone seems to be gone because no one answers the phone. They seem to cram everything and expect the children to remember what they learned. The teachers don't seem very concerned and there is a lack of communication between teacher and parent. The principal and assistant princapal are not the best.

Posted March 19, 2005

This is a wonderful quaint school in a very nice neighborhood. Many of the teachers possess a master's degree or more which is evident in thier teaching skills. Everyone who I have come into contact with at Hickory Hills has been very helpful and personable. This school has much diversity and students all seem to work and learn well together. There is a Science lab that is new this year and students get a chance to do hands on activities on a regular basis. The lab also has an abundance of animals that the students help to care for and enjoy visiting while they are there. Hickory Hills has a wonderful, hard-working staff and I have been quite impressed.
—Submitted by a teacher

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

56 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

57 students were tested at this school in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

56 students were tested at this school in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

53 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

69 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

58 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

61 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

63 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

• Diana Mills
Fax number
  • (770) 429-3126

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

500 Redwood Dr SW