Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

As soon as you walk in the door you are greeted with a smile. The admin staff makes a point of getting to know their students and parents by name. The principal, Mrs. Boudin, is outgoing and approachable. She is not the type to stay in her office and let the vice principal deal with things. The teachers work hard for their students. They go above and beyond what is required of them. The school communication is great regarding any upcoming events or school news. I'm so happy that my child attends this school. It really is a hidden treasure within MCS. Parents, volunteer and get to know the people your children spend 7 hours a day with! You won't be disappointed.

The school has more of a family feel to it which is what I wanted. The school is about as diverse as you're going to get for Marietta City. With that said, no matter how friendly you are there are some parents that prefer to stick to their own ethnic group. That is not the school's fault at all, just telling it like it is so don't be shocked if some parents don't appear to be that friendly; be grateful for the majority of parents that are friendly. Regarding the staff- Very diverse and I felt they embrace everybody making you and your child feel welcome. Out of all of the teachers I have interacted with, there is only one that seems to have an attitude. Every school no matter where you go will have that "one" I give the principal 5 stars. These kids aren't just students here. They are her babies. She is very visible around the school and at after school events. If you need to find her, you do not have to look hard. She doesn't hide in her office. Compared to other schools that I have looked at in the district, this school has a decent amount of field trips for your child. I am very pleased with that because learning also takes place outside of the classroom and children need that opportunity. Back to the teachers- they really do a great job of keeping me informed of my child's progress, responding questions I have in a timely fashion, and providing opportunities for my child to get assistance in areas he needs it and opportunities to build on the strengths he currently has. I am very pleased and I hope to have my child attend next year.

We love this school and our kids are so happy and content at HH. It is a huge blessing to our family!

We love our neighborhood school Hickory Hills! This is our first year there, but we have friends who've been there for years and they're right--it's the best. I was really concerned about how my Kindergartner would adjust to full time school--he's a very active boy. But this is the PERFECT place for him. Hickory Hills is a magnet school for Arts--so every day the students spend an hour in Dance, Music, Art, Drama, or Science Lab. They also have either PE or recess daily, which I think is super important for young kids to be able to focus while in the classroom. The principal also puts a lot of emphasis on the teachers having the students up out of their desks and learning in different stations throughout the room--which really helps them not get bored. He's learning in leaps and bounds--we've been shocked at how quickly he's learned to read. They try to group the Kindergarten students by how much Pre-K education they've had--so that each class is on the same level and teachers don't have to worry about losing people in the cracks. Not sure if they continue that through the other grades--but I think it makes sense. We were a little nervous going in bc of the rankings--but there is a huge transient population in this district--and when the students aren't present for the entire school year it affects the test scores really negatively. All of our worries have been erased, and I feel like this is the perfect place for our kids. The PTA is very active and passionate as well, so there's a real community feel to the school. Love. Love. Love.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

Teachers at this school are very effective because they are able to specialize and individualize lesson plans to unique groups of learners. This school uses the "Tier" system to place students into classes. This model has worked very well for my daughter and has helped her to achieve higher standards than she would in a traditional structured classroom.

Amount of homework: Agree

My daughter is in first grade and has about 20 min of homework and 20 min of reading a night. I think around an hour of homework for a first grader is o.k.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Hickory Hills has a population of diverse learners. I believe that the faculty and staff treat each and every student with respect as well as teach students how to respect peers.

Hickory Hills Elementary provides a warm and caring environment for all students. Most of the staff know my child by her first name and treat her with respect and kindness. Teachers go out of the way to reach all levels of learners as well as provide individualized support. I would encourage parents who are "school shopping" to make an appointment with Hickory Hills for a personal tour. I did this when considering schools in the area. The principal met with me and answered all of my questions as well as showed me around the school. I was very skeptical of Hickory Hills at first based on some of the reviews, however, it has surpassed all of my expectations.

I work as a preschool teacher for a private school where I had my son attending. I took him out because he didn't seem to get the attention or education he needed, he was also picking up bad behaviors from other students. My husband and I moved him here and we were immediately happy. His teacher was always in communication with us and worked very hard to help us get our son back on the right track. He is doing very well there again this year and again I am pleased with the open communication between his teacher and us. The staff are friendly and welcoming, they put in a lot of time, effort and hard work. We couldn't be happier!

I live in the neighborhood and recently visited the school to see for myself what level of education is provided. I was pleased to see such a wonderful and creative school in my neighborhood! Our neighbors whose children attend Hickory Hills are very pleased. I was in the school most of the day and did not observe any negative behaviors from faculty, staff or students. Overall, the school appears to be exactly what parents want in an elementary school: rigorous course work, a fun learning environment, and caring, involved faculty.

Last modified Hickory Hills Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.