Public charter
Marietta, GA

Posted September 08, 2013
I work as a preschool teacher for a private school where I had my son attending. I took him out because he didn't seem to get the attention or education he needed, he was also picking up bad behaviors from other students. My husband and I moved him here and we were immediately happy. His teacher was always in communication with us and worked very hard to help us get our son back on the right track. He is doing very well there again this year and again I am pleased with the open communication between his teacher and us. The staff are friendly and welcoming, they put in a lot of time, effort and hard work. We couldn't be happier!

Posted August 30, 2013
I live in the neighborhood and recently visited the school to see for myself what level of education is provided. I was pleased to see such a wonderful and creative school in my neighborhood! Our neighbors whose children attend Hickory Hills are very pleased. I was in the school most of the day and did not observe any negative behaviors from faculty, staff or students. Overall, the school appears to be exactly what parents want in an elementary school: rigorous course work, a fun learning environment, and caring, involved faculty.

Posted July 31, 2013
Racial problems are visible in the 4th and 5th grade. Many parents pull children out because of the way those teachers talk to the students. Often calling them names. Parents have gone to administration before but it still continues. MCAA is the only saving grace if your child is smart enough to get in. Otherwise, you are stuck. Sadly, the new administration is coming from a school in cobb that just isn't up to par. The test scores from Hickory Hills are the lowest in the district. If you can, apply to another school, because this is just a sinking ship. It seems if you are not white, your voice doesn't matter here, sadly, a common theme it seems for this school. White parents get to group all their kids into one class... it's very obvious

Posted July 09, 2013
We started our daughter here in K, and she went through 1 and 2, but now that we made it to 3rd grade, we decided to move her over to MCAA. Luckily she was grouped with "similar" children as she was in the minority here, and they had the teachers we as parents requested. It was fine when they were younger, but as they get older, we knew we had to make a change. We are not fond of any 3-5 teachers at this school, and sadly have heard horror stories about the ways the 5th grade teachers talk to kids. Several parents have made this aware to admin and although they are changing people around, it still doesn't help. MCAA just can offer more for 3-5 than sadly this school can. The demographics are not what they need to be. Too much change yearly, and with the new admin, they are young and trying too many changes that it feels like most staff are resisting. We are excited about the work our daughter will do at MCAA, and that a good amount of her friends are moving over too. Sad to see what this school has become in retrospect to what it used to be.

Posted June 27, 2013
We started at Hickory Hills last August and I went into it a little nervous about sending my kindergartener to a public school. I have been blown away by the love and care that my daughter has received. Each teacher (art, music, dance, drama and classroom) made her feel welcome, accepted and valued. This is such a beautiful environment for children to explore their talents and gifting and become uniquely "them". We LOVE the staff and the small classes. We could not be happier.

Posted May 17, 2013
I have 2 children at Hickory Hills. We have been at the school for 3 years now. I could not have prayed for a better neighborhood school. The administration has an open door policy and makes EVERY effort to listen to what I have to say. The teachers we have had make my children and me feel important and welcome. Love this school.

Posted May 16, 2013
I pulled my child out of hickory hills. I do not find the staff kind, the parents who are running the PTA seem to bully parents who don't have time to be there or they just look down on them. The teachers seem cold to the kids, and the 4th and 5th grade team members are just plain mean to the kids. My daughter LOVED her teacher last year until they kicked him out, and this year her teacher called her stupid and was ugly to her, so we pulled her out to home school. The administration doesn't care, and the MCS system doesn't care about parents, just titles and awards... no matter how they have to get there... pull your child and put them in MCAA, its a better program. This school hosts kids who could care less sadly

Posted May 28, 2012
Georgia PTA has selected the Hickory Hills Elementary School PTA as a Model PTA (one of two in the Marietta City Schools system). Additionally, the Principal was selected as the Outstanding Elementary School Principal for the state of Georgia for 2012.

Posted September 27, 2010
Hickory Hills has been a great fit for our Kindergartener! The dedication of the faculty is evident upon walking through the doors!

Hickory Hills Elementary School 4

Posted January 27, 2010
If you have not visited this school in person, you are really missing out. When you walk in the school, you get the feeling that this is what an elementary school should be. The integrated arts program is not a performing arts program. Children are engaged and they love to learn. Most of all, the teachers really care about their students and their ability to succeed. I wish I went to an elementary school like this!

Hickory Hills Elementary School
500 Redwood Dr SW, Marietta, GA  30064
Last modified Hickory Hills Elementary School is a Charter school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Hickory Hills Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 26 reviews. Top