PK-12|Private
1,054 students

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

We were new to Georgia and had to make a quick decision regarding schools and sent our child there for kindergarten. Won't make that mistake again. Walker is at best a Tier 3 private school. If you really want to send your kid to private school, pay up a little more and target the Pace and Westminsters of ATL. Walker's academics are slightly above average and equivalent to probably a 70-80% rated national public school but at a private school price. There were a decent amount of parents that lived in horrible Georgia public school districts so Walker is their only option. Others seemed to just want to be able to say they send their kids to private school but didn't want to go through the difficulty of targeting a Tier 1 private school. Walker rarely sends kids to Ivy League-level universities and instead targets the Univ. of Georgia honors program. They had one kid get into Harvard two falls ago and the entire school was talking about it like someone had won a Nobel Prize. After 12 years at $20k a pop, you'd expect better options for the value. The Headmaster's core skillset is fundraising and he didn't seem to be able to handle any issues that weren't straight down the fairway. Our kindergarten class had a bully who terrorized several of the boys daily. They never dealt with him because he had 3 older siblings in the school and they didn't want to lose those $$$s. There was one girl who was threatened in a very frighteningly specific way by a boy and they told the girl's parents that there was nothing they could do and they should just go to the police. And then there was the insane lice issue. Just constant. The administration was too scared to send infected kids home so that problem lingered the entire year. Just ridiculous.

Be Challenged. Be Valued. Be Inspired. truly applies to your children at The Walker School. Each child is valued for strengths and weaknesses. The new age learning and academic rigor is exceptional. The faculty want your children to succeed in every way. What more can you ask for?

It is honestly offensive to me seeing how much people are trashing Walker. They are not appreciative of the experiences that we as students at Walker are blessed with. Since the students at Walker have money, I feel that some of the students that attend take the entire experience for granted. Walker is a special place and the community in the school resembles a family. I am a senior this year, and I can honestly say that Walker has shaped me into the person that I am today. I am heading to college confident in myself, and ahead of many other students because I have already been challenged. The teachers at Walker have become my "school parents." This faculty will do anything to help their students rather its academically or personally. I once had a teacher stay until 6:00 PM with me to study for a test the next day- she didn't even hesitate to stay, she would have stayed as long as I needed her to. Not to mention, the administration has also gone out of their way to get to know all of the students. Once I was walking down the hallway clearly stressed out and I had the headmaster and one of my teachers from sixth grade (six years ago) stop me and ask me if I was okay. The fact that these people remember who I am speaks volumes to the character of the faculty at Walker. Also, the smaller class sizes have been so beneficial to me. This perk allows for more one on one attention and all of the students know each other. This is a huge factor into making the Walker community. The honor code also separates our school from all others.. if you walk down the hallway you will notice that we don't even use locks on our lockers. We have a trusting environment filled with people who would never even think of breaking this trust.

Great School !!! Both of my kids have been in school with older one from 2nd Grade and younger one from Pre-K !!! My Kids absolutely love to go to school every day and every minute and look forward to it !!! Right from Headmaster to Principals of each Division to teachers - all of them are exceptionally good in their responsibilities. There is a personal touch and every student is known, nourished, encouraged and cared for their passion and growth. The school looks at the overall growth of the child than just focusing on academics alone. The school has been able to cater to exceptional gifted student in continuously challenging with higher level classes and tailored curriculum. The Fine Art program - Band, Drama, Orchestra and Chorus are exceptional with their teachings and productions. Every child has an opportunity to participate in a fine art program along with other academic and sports commitment. The teachers and school administration are very approachable and open to feedback and continuous improvement of the school including involving parents in the growth improvement process of the school. The Parent Ambassador programs says volumes of commitment from school about True Partnership in the Child's Education Path !!! I can keep writing pages and pages of the goodness, positive comments and reviews of the school and its members !!! Thank You Walker for such great years and being part of my and my children's life and look forward to many more years of partnership !!!

I have been going to this school my whole life and it is like a mini family away from home. As soon as you join Walker, everyone excepts you for who you are no matter what you have done in the past. I spend most of my day there busy with academics and sports, and have teachers ready to help me after school if I need. If you are looking at a private school, choose Walket and you won't regret it.

I taught 16 years in Georgia public schools, most of those years in the Metro Atlanta area, and at the time that my son was ready to begin school decided that I wanted every aspect of his education to be stellar. Walker has always had an excellent reputation as a college preparatory school. I had taught several students who had transferred from Walker and was always impressed with their knowledge of literature, writing and grammar (I taught high school English) as well as their mature and honorable manner. Having progressed from PreK to his sophomore year in high school, I can attest to many things: high quality academics, caring teachers, staff and ancillary workers; excellent character education and standards, and a great desire to continue improving. Yes, we have had a couple less than stellar teachers, but we have always been able to openly state our feelings in these situations and have seen action and improvement. As a department chair, I can tell you that every school has a few teachers who don't fit the bill. At least Walker has taken seriously the charge to provide excellent, caring educators to the students.

Walker is where you want to be! We love this school. We conducted a thorough search for the right school for our children, including public schools in East Cobb/Midtown/Buckhead & the major private in Buckhead (to name a few). In my opinion, you cannot find better than Walker in metro-Atlanta, period. If you're in Buckhead looking for the right fit, make the reverse-commute drive up 41 & see the difference for yourself. You'll be blown away at the best-kept education secret in Atlanta! I'm amazed at my daughters' answers to, "How was your day?" They all delve in with "it was fantastic," "it was spectacular," or "it was so much fun!!" Why do I think this is the case? -clear, organized, advanced, research-based constructivist curriculum w/ tremendous support for your child to be successful -the best teachers, staff & school leadership in metro-Atlanta I've seen -fantastic lunch where managing food allergies is a breeze -exceptionally welcoming, diverse parent group 100% of their graduates are accepted into 4-year colleges. A Harvard acceptance was just announced last week. World famous alumni: Brandon Stanton who created Humans of New York, & former Braves pitcher & current Colorado Rockies pitcher, David Hale (Princeton alum), are examples of where alumni go from Walker (these are a couple of "wow" stories & there are plenty more). Walker treats teachers very well (Atlanta's Top Places to Work) to attract the best, most competent teachers. The principals are brilliant, well-spoken, hands-on, kind & fair. I'm beyond impressed w/1st grade. My daughters have had both of the current Kindergarten teachers--the best kindergarten teachers I could possibly imagine for them. Even the assistant teachers are well-qualified to be lead teachers (having masters degrees/lead teacher experience). Pre-K3 & Pre-K4 teachers my children have and have had are exactly who I'd want molding my children at this impressionable age. What's important to me is that they experience transformative learning and form meaningful relationships. Walker is life-changing for the family whose child is lucky enough to attend. If you can find a way to afford this school, it's the investment worth making where the results are tangible for a lifetime. If you can afford any school you want, this is THE place where you want to be challenged, valued, & inspired.

I loved this school and hope to one day have the opportunity to send any future children I have there. Walker raises good people and good students.

Amount of homework: Agree

It was somewhat on par with the amount of college work I experienced at Mercer University.

I have 2 Walker graduates who attended from K through 12th grade and I highly recommend this school. This is truly a college prep school.My children graduated having had a wonderful school education and they are now excelling in their chosen colleges. They both took numerous Advanced Placement courses in HS,and felt prepared for their college educations. Our experience as parents was one of open communication with every grade level ,and numerous opportunities meet with teachers and staff as necessary. I would encourage families to tour Walker to get a feel of this amazing school ,and see the students at work during a typical school day.

Last modified The Walker School is a Private school that serves grades PK-12