Marietta, GA
Students enrolled: 1,054

Develops empathy: Strongly agree

Posted June 02, 2015
They become an extended part of your family. They also cracked down hard on bullying when I was there. The rare instances that bullying happened were punished swiftly and fairly.

Posted June 02, 2015
I loved this school and hope to one day have the opportunity to send any future children I have there. Walker raises good people and good students.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 02, 2015
It was somewhat on par with the amount of college work I experienced at Mercer University.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted June 02, 2015
It is possible to just get through the system but not likely. They really customize the difficulty to your personal needs.

Posted March 04, 2014
I have 2 Walker graduates who attended from K through 12th grade and I highly recommend this school. This is truly a college prep school.My children graduated having had a wonderful school education and they are now excelling in their chosen colleges. They both took numerous Advanced Placement courses in HS,and felt prepared for their college educations. Our experience as parents was one of open communication with every grade level ,and numerous opportunities meet with teachers and staff as necessary. I would encourage families to tour Walker to get a feel of this amazing school ,and see the students at work during a typical school day.

The Walker School 4

Posted January 28, 2014
My daughter has been attending Walker for 3 years now. Overall, we are very happy about our experience there - especially the new leadership Mr. Jack Hall has installed -- most notably Ms. Megan Howard. It has a very 1950's culture, with wonderful parents who are equally involved and motivated for their own child's success. When considering schools, I felt that the most important person in my daughter's classroom is the quality of the teacher (see Gates Foundation research) and the values of a child's peers, which is a reflection of the parent's. Walker fulfills my hypothesis and is shaping my child's worldview and reinforces the values I am instilling in my daughter. While the tuition is an "investment," I am hopeful a much larger endowment will start growing so annual increases are kept low and I can continue to afford to send my child to the school for a few more years. My only concern is that I feel the general culture (as reflected by the communications from administration, teachers) forget that not all mothers are stay-at-home mommies.

The Walker School 1

Posted January 07, 2014
Horrible school. The teachers are arrogant and lack passion and empathy. The anti-bully promise is a joke. Basically you will pay a lot of money to be bullied and have your child bullied by peers, teachers and administrators, Administrators are deceptive and will be friendly until you question something. As one parent stated, " They wont say anything, but they will make you feel it". They are certainly behind in the area of technology and completely lack innovation in the way that they teach. . They have a great record in the area of college entrance but not for Ivy league schools. There is not much diversity so basically, if you want your child to live in a bubble, this is your school. If you want a more well rounded education, look at other private schools. This school is nice on the outside and a nightmare on the inside, It may work out for you. If it doesn't, there is no gray area, You will walk away destroyed and left feeling like you came out of an abusive relationship.
4 people found this helpful

The Walker School 1

Posted January 04, 2014
THIS SCHOOL IS TERRIBLE! THE TEACHERS DONT EVEN HELP AND THE CLASSES ARE UNORGANIZED. THE KIDS ARE JERKS AND WONT TRY TO BE FRIENDS WITH YOU! DONT BE FOOLED BY THE REVIEWS THIS SCHOOL IS PRISON! ONE TIME A KID WAS SHADOWING AND THE TEACHER MADE FUN OF HIM! WHO MAKES FUN OF A KID WHOS TRYING TO GO INTO THE SCHOOL. MY LIFE WAS AMAZING UNTIL I WAS ENROLLED IN THIS SCHOOL! I BEG YOU DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL ITS THE WORST THING THAT EVER HAPPEND TO ME!
4 people found this helpful

Posted August 27, 2013
As a graduate, I truly appreciated my Walker education once I got to college. I felt very confident and prepared even in a challenging college environment like Duke. The teachers are terrific; I had enthusiastic, intellectual teachers that I kept in touch with after leaving the school. I also appreciated that the size of the school allowed me to be involved in a wide variety of activities, which I certainly would not have been able to do if I had stayed in public school after 8th grade. I am now enjoying the Walker experience as a parent, which was an easy decision for our family.

Posted May 16, 2013
The preschool is fantastic! Located in it's own building with a dedicated playground, library, and lunchroom, the preschool caters to the youngest of students. Teachers work with every student to make sure that they become both confident and capable. My kids loved every minute and thought they were playing the whole time. Actually they were getting very ready for first grade and beyond.

700 Cobb Parkway North, Marietta, GA  30062