No rating

The Wood Acres School

Private | PK-8 | 400 students

Accelerated Academics, Unique Campus, Outstanding Faculty / Staff, Affordability

Living in Marietta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $212,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,000.

Posted December 3, 2009

This is our 7th year at Wood Acres. Both of our children love going to school each and every day. We have had fantastic teachers who go above and beyond to make sure our children are learning and being challenged. I know a big complaint of WA is lack of parent involvement. I disagree with this. My children are there to learn from the teachers at WA, not from other parents. The class sizes are very small, so I do not see where parent involvement is needed. My kids cannot imagine going to school anywhere else!

Posted November 21, 2009

Wood Acres is a wonderful school! My daughter has been challenged and motivated to do her best. We love the science program because it is hands-on. The teachers are excellent, and the families are wonderful.

Posted November 9, 2009

Anyone who has attended Wood Acres, or knows a Wood Acres family is well aware of the school's excellence. If you are looking for a school where your child will meet their academic potential, while enjoying all the joys, wonderment, and innocence of childhood this is the school for you. Mrs. Thigpen, the administration, and all of the teachers are true professionals. Warm and compassionate, they have always made themselves available to me. The class size is small, the academics are advanced, and the opportunity to learn spanish, computer, & economics at such a young age is truly unique. We have been a Wood Acres Family for 7 years, there is no other school like it! My kids look forward to going to school everyday! It has been a perfect fit for our family, and made my job as a parent so much easier.

Posted July 17, 2009

Nice school, very nice setting. Always felt my kids were safe there (ages 2 and 4). Academically, it was average. I was frustrated that parental involvement was so discouraged, particularly at their young ages. We decided on another school for next year.

Posted July 3, 2009

The campus is cute, although a few buildings need renovations. The ciriculum at Wood Acres is advanced and exgaging. However, there is litle to NO extra cirriculum activities/clubs/sports, etc for the kids. The principal and many of the teachers do not welcome parental involvement. Much like a daycare, they ask: pay your bill, drop off your kid (and please do not come into the class room) and go away! There is no organized parental club or platform for the parents to have a voice in the school or to be involved on any level. FUndraising is not permitted. Only a handful of the teachers welcome parents - those who realize the value of parental involvement in the child's education. If you want to be invovled with your child's education, this is not the school for you!

Posted May 25, 2009

This is an excellent school. The education is challenging and well-rounded. The environment is very homey and students are encouraged to spend time outside. My 7 year old has been exposed to Spanish, Science, and Social Studies in addition to the typical Math and Reading. The teachers are very good and we've experienced zero disciplinary instances in our 2 years at the school. Mrs. Thigpen has a great passion for educating and has developed an advanced curriculum, although I do wish she was more open to others' ideas - she can alienate some parents and teachers. I also think the absence of any extracurricular activites (other than Chess) is an area for improvement. I would highly recommend this school for K-5!

Posted March 3, 2009

Our family chose Wood Acres for our children for the small class sizes which are so critical for individual attention as well as the accelerated curriculum. My students have always worked hard for their good grades but I've been very pleased with the teachers setting the bar high and then helping my students reach it. We've also been happy with the level of parent involvement - we volunteer to help with parties, read to the classes and assist when we can. But I'm very happy that the school fully takes care of the academic arena for both my daughter and son. I'm not an educator so I want the hours my children spend in school to be with the professionals - not me or other parents!

Posted February 17, 2009

My child attends Wood Acres and we have been sorely disappointed. The owner/principal is not open to any view point but her own. This includes parents and teachers. Unfortunately, this once fine school is declining rapidly under this owner and many senior teachers are leaving.

Posted February 1, 2009

My son attended Wood Acres and our experience was positive. The academics are above average and the socialization skills were very valuable for us. I would recommend this school highly.

Posted December 12, 2008

My child attends Wood Acres, and our experience with the school has been a disappointment. The classroom lacks discipline. The environment does not inspire the students to learn. The teachers are weeks behind in the curriculum being taught that Wood Acres outlined at the beginning of the year. The administration is unwilling to identify and correct these issues. The administration does not respond effectively to parental concerns.

Posted September 24, 2008

Woodacres offers a solid education. We have been part of the WoodAcres family for 5 years. Some areas for opportunity are: 1) attract more diversity to the school via teacher and student population, to include but not limited to ethnically diverse and male teachers; 2) offer school sports; and, 3) offer another language other than Spanish.

Posted January 27, 2007

My children have attended WA for five years. Our experiences have been mostly positive. All the curriculum is challenging (however the new Science Program is extremely disappointing). Academically, the kids must stay on track - no tutoring available, and most of the kids excel. The small class sizes allow for an incredible student/teacher relationship. Of the ten teachers my children have had, only one disappointed us, and she is no longer a lead teacher. Currently, the school goes to 6th grade, and will eventually go to 8th. Although we have been extremely pleased with the education and overall school, we will not proceed after 5th grade. Parental invovlement not allowed period! Also, it is lacking any clubs, sports or activities. A definite drawback. I recommend WA for pre-school to 5th.

Posted September 12, 2006

I currently have children attending Wood Acres. I cannot say enough about the quality of teachers. They are the best in the state. Every teacher we've had was outstanding. The management, however, has a few issues to sort out. The traffic situation needs significant improvement. The price has gone up $100.00 per month in the past three years with little ROI. 4 years ago every category rated a 5 except Extracurricular activities, I cannot say that today. Still, it beats every public school in the area.

Posted May 18, 2004

Great learning environment and loving atmosphere! There have been improvements on campus with Mrs. Thigpen in charge. Would like to see a middle school added sometime in the near future.

Posted October 9, 2003

Overall Wood Acres is a great school. It is more affordable than most private schools in this area. I have dearly loved EVERY teacher my child has ever had. The educational program is sound. It is small and close-knit. The grounds are very nice. Employees of the school are pleasant and always helpful. New leadership is bringing many changes. The jury is still out as to whether all of these are positive or not. Opportunities for improvement: 1. School uniforms 2. Physical Education 5 days a week 3. Additional extracurricular activities sports, music instruction/band/choir, art, etc. 4. Creation of a PTA or parents association of some type - greater opportunities for parental involvement and community encouragement. There are very few opportunities to get involved with your child s class or to meet and interact with other parents. 5. Traffic flow can be a nightmare at drop-off and dismissal.

Asian 36% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Duke TIP Program (2012)
  • International Spanish Academy (2012)
  • Presidential Education Awards (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

Health & athletics

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Garden/Greenhouse
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Judith Thigpen
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • contact@woodacresschool.org
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 2 years old
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Computer lab
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Choir / Chorus
Performing arts
  • Drama

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Academic Honors Clubs

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Tutor