Mount Bethel Christian Academy

Private | K-8 | 512 students

Through Bible classes, Chapel, community service, and Biblical integration throu

Living in Marietta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $305,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted March 17, 2014

I do agree bullying does start in 4th grade. I remember always getting made fun of because I was a different race. It kind of dies a little down when you reach middle school. I moved to a public school last year and I feel this is a better environment anyway. Also I am also very unhappy with the lunches. Not that they are bad but the quantity! They only let you have 2 cheese sticks and no seconds! Sometimes I say to myself I payed $12,000 for this? Why just save your money and go to a public school. This school is not very religious either. So I dont understand.

Posted September 9, 2013

LOVE this school! I have spoken with many graduates going to both public and private high schools and they have all thought they were very prepared for high school from MBCA. Our family has been there for 6 years. Incredible faculty who really care about your student. Two teachers per grade until middle school, top class size is 22, so 11/1 ratio. Incredible academics, great athletics, spanish and latin. 5th graders and up have their own laptops. in art, the children learn about famous artists, in music, they learn about composers. I get a chill every time I leave thinking about the positive environment my kids are in. No girl drama yet and I have one in 5th....the children love each other and support each other. Amazing!!

Posted August 18, 2013

We chose this school over our excellent local public school because we wanted smaller class sizes in a Christian setting. After now being at MBCA for 8 years (currently have a 7th and a 5th grader), we have been overwhemingly pleased. Our children are academically-challenged, growing Christians. There are certainly situations where things have not been ideal for some families (however I have never heard of or experience some of the extreme situations mentioned here). The school has not been traditionally equipped to teach children with learning disabilities - but we now do have a specialist on-board. The communication has not always been wonderful but has improved. We have always had excellent, caring teachers and we love having a parapro in every classroom. The new Headmaster (this is his 2nd year) has been terrific for the school. We plan to probably go to public high school and feel that MBCA has prepared and grounded our children so that they can meet the challenges of high school, college, and beyond. Overall, I highly recommend MBCA and would not change our decision.

Posted August 17, 2013

Our family was at Mt. Bethel for two years. Lack of communication was frustrating. As a family we found ourselves "out of the loop" frequently. Parents are responsible for reading teachers blog each day. Our teachers never posted at the same time each day, which added to the confusion. Other times teachers never got to it.. There is also a school blog that is different from the teacher blog that you must keep up with too. Several occasions the school closed early for inclement weather, in those cases an email went out. If you were not at a computer or have an electronic devise to alert you on incoming emails...you were left out of loop and received disgruntled call from staff to pick your child after the fact. [Sigh.] The children, myself and my spouse were relieved to move to a school district that still sends home notes and does not assume the whole world has iphones attached to their heads.

Posted August 14, 2013

My association with Mt. Bethel Christian Academy dates back to 1998, before our first student crossed the threshhold. From that day forward, my passion for the mission and philosophy that formed the foundation of the Academy has not waivered. God has truly blessed me by allowing me the opportunity to grow both professionally and spiritually through my position with MBCA. My position as Director of Admission and Marketing has given me the opportunity to promote the growth of this extraordinary school. It has been a joyous ride and I am truly inspired by the level of professionalism and integrity that is reflected everyday by staff, faculty, and families.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 31, 2013

Our child attended only a year. Very disappointed. The schools emphasis is on THEIR RATING, NOT YOUR CHILD. If your child scores a D in the same subject two semesters in a row, or scores two D's in one semester, they are asked to leave. If your child is discovered to have any kind of dyslexia or ADD, no matter how slight, they are asked to leave. If your child does not leave, the faculty make your childs stay unhappy, singling them out, saying negative things to and about them in front of the class. They are held to a higher standard than the other children and, at least in our case, snap under the pressure. We have had feedback from several other families who either left or are leaving based on this same situation. We were also informed point blank that Mt. Bethel pretest (for admission process), is to screen out students with potential disabilities, and told, regarding our child, "We don't take his kind." By the time we left I was unsure whether to call Family & Child Services to report emotional abuse, or call the American with Disabilities organization. NO other school has this kind of policy... but at least it keeps Mt. Bethel high on the rating system.

Posted January 17, 2013

Now that my children attend another school, I can look back and say that, for us, this school lacked a communicative sense of teamwork between parents, students, and school. It was a culture issue for us, but basically, unless something was wrong, I found communication between administration/teachers and parents to be skimpy and mostly one way. As a parent, I found it challenging to independently follow what my child was doing (just to have a starting point for conversation) as there were no teacher websites -- at least not when we were there -- and few parent volunteer/interactive activities, etc. As for the kids, we found it to be cliquey here. Sports is VERY competitive. Some of the teachers play favorites. The sense of teamwork and fun was just not there for my children. To add to this, I felt intimidated if I spoke up about any concerns. I did not get a sense that my input was respected or welcome. Academically, I would say that the smaller class sizes were nice. The facilities -- very clean.

Posted October 4, 2012

I have a 5th grader and an 8th grader who have both been at Mt. Bethel since Kindergarten and we couldn't be happier! I read some of the previous posts about bullying and would like to comment that, yes, there may have been a problem with it IN THE PAST under prior leadership, but I can assure you the problem has been taken care of with our new Head of School. Bullying is a thing of the past and will not be tolerated at Mt. Bethel. As far as the curriculum not being challenging enough - I have to disagree with this, too. With our school only going to 8th grade, there are obviously MANY high schools that our 8th graders apply to. Our students have no problem gettng accepted into any of the private or public schools to which they apply. In the majority of cases, they are placed in honors/AP classes. The class sizes at Mt. Bethel are small, so it is easier to get individual attention. The lower school classes actually have a lead teacher and a parapro in each classroom. I whole-heartedly recommend MBCA - I am going to be sad to see my 8th grader leave.

Posted April 20, 2012

My opinion, just one - this school has difficulty getting the best out of a variety of students -- really bright kids don't get pushed enough and help is limited for kids that struggle. It's a narrow fit. The culture is repressive. More disappointing is the response you get as a parent when issues arise or you want to give feedback. Instead of listening to ideas, they act as if they can do no wrong here.

Posted February 27, 2012

I am a parent with children in both the lower and middle school divisions. Recent posts which question the curriculum and academic program do not reflect my experience at all. Quite the contrary, my oldest, an 8th grader, has been exceptionally well-prepared and, in fact, and has been accepted into Westminster and Holy Innocents for high school next year. The school underwent a (much needed) change in leadership this past year and the new Headmaster has made excellent progress in addressing concerns around bullying and returning the school to the founding principles that attracted us to it in the beginning. We couldn't be happier with Mt. Bethel and recommend it often.

Posted February 17, 2012

We have had a great experience in the Lower School. However, I have also seen the bullying start in the 4th grade. We have had no direct contact with it, but it is easy to see, and seems to be ignored by the school. The Middle School has not been a good experience at all. A large number of students are competitive, mean-spirited, and unwelcoming. The curriculum is inconsistent. So much attention is given to technology, that curriculum and learning is secondary. Bullying is either ignored, accepted, or given lip-service.

Posted November 11, 2011

I am in 8th grade at MBCA, and i can easily say that it is the best school I have ever attended. Amazing teachers. Killer Athletics. (Back-to-Back NAML Cup Champs!) Great kids. Caring principal. I could go on and on. My teachers could not be more supportive. I am extremely involved in extra-curricular activities at Mt. Bethel, and my teachers still help me stay on top of my grades. MBCA is the best private school in Cobb County, GO EAGLES! :)

Posted July 18, 2011

Best decision I've ever made for my children's education...and we came from a large private school in Buckhead. r

Posted July 5, 2011

MBCA is an incredible school. Over the last 5 years, we have been so impressed with both our amazing teachers and the other parents and families that attend. It has been a huge blessing, and our kids have thrived in it's value oriented, character building environment. It's worth every penny and then some.

Posted June 11, 2011

Bullying starts in 4th grade. Look out next year. As for him leaving for a better school - nice spin, but there were LOTS of complaints about that. Problem is that with the closed hierarchy there such things are NEVER discussed or revealed. Basically if you do not know the "founder" of the school you are an outsider. Genuinely hope the new head of school does a great job fixing things!

Posted May 31, 2011

I have to respond to the most recent review of our school. I have not heard of any bullying at this point and my child is a rising 4th grader. I have been so pleased with the school, the staff and the enviornment. My child feels truly treasured by his teachers and is flourishing. He has met many wonderful friends. From my understanding, the old head of school quit to go to another school that has a highschool. I am looking forward to our new head of school and what he has to offer. I was truly upset when the old head of school left, I thought he was doing a great job, but I understand he was leaving for a "promotion" . It is a wonderful place to send your kids. My younger son starts kindergarten next year.

Posted May 20, 2011

My opinions, your mileage may vary. The school looks great, good neighborhood, beautiful buildings, and clean, well-dressed kids. The Art program is absolutely fantastic! There are some truly great teachers in the lower school, but there are also some who.....well, should have retired a while ago. The biggest problem is that the leadership acts as if they and their staff can NEVER do anything wrong. There is a problem with bullying in the 4th-5th and up grades. The School Board is a closed group whose meeting schedule isn't even posted anywhere. They just fired one head of school and did a hurried hire at the end of the year for a new one. Good luck to him and to the school.

Posted October 19, 2010

We were surprised to find such an excellent alternative in private education that emphasizes both the academic excellence and Christian world-view. MBCA is doing a great job partnering with us to raise our kids.

Posted June 10, 2010

I am very impressed with the way Mt. Bethel's administration supports the teachers and parents and keeps us as parents involved and in touch with our child's progress.

Posted January 29, 2010

My son spent five years at Mount Bethel and we had to pull him during the first semester due to bullying that took place in the 5th grade. My husband and I met with his teachers, grade level principle and head master a total of six times between the months of August and November and no one would help my son. The school has no rules in place about bullying and the administration is totally useless about taking any action. My husband and I pulled our son last november after getting no were with the teachers and faculty. I felt my son was in danger and pulling him was the best choice for us. We needed help with a very scary situation and the teachers and faculty turned their backs and let us down.

Asian 1% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Music teacher(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Differentiated learning programs

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
Clubs
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)

Gifted & talented

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:15 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Jim Callis
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Service learning
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Boy scouts
  • Chess club
  • Community service
  • Cub scouts
  • Girl scouts
  • Homework help/study buddy club
  • Leadership
  • Martial arts (judo, tae kwon do, karate, etc)
  • National Honor Society

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • library, lunchroom, prayer parent