No rating

Riverstone Montessori Academy

Private | PK-8

Living in Marietta

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $183,500. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $820.

Sweep tile

Posted August 22, 2013

If you have a child that doesn't like some particular subject - math, or even reading - they won't be doing any of that subject at Riverstone. My daughter didn't like reading going into 1st grade, so she didn't do any of it; we had to make a huge effort over summer to even try to catch her up. We loved primary, here, but elementary was a huge waste of money. Another parent I know, her daughter was FAILED back into 1st grade when she took an admissions test at another school (in reading and math only) because she didn't like math so she didn't do any of it last year (she had tested as average at the end of the previous year). Bottom line: if your kid's interests are balanced, they'll have fun and learn plenty. If they dislike some subject, don't send them here. They'll have fun, but they won't get an education.

Posted August 16, 2013

My daughter is in her second year in the Primary classroom. It is amazing to wake up to a child excited to go to school. She may not verbally express all that she is learning, but we we see her progression daily. She will pick up a book or sound out a word on her own, and I am quite sure she knows more Spanish than I do. I believe this is the perfect place for our daughter.

Posted July 27, 2013

Our daughter has been in Riverstone Elementary program for 3 years and is working far above grade level as well as all her friends there that we know well. Especially in math, she is tested at least 2 grades levels ahead. One of our friends who came to Riverstone from another school had to get some tutoring to catch her kid up to all the other kids, but RMA teachers helped with that.

Posted May 17, 2013

The primary program is great, but elementary students get ignored. We loved primary, and saw great progress, but in elementary next to no learning seems to have happened. My son has problems with basic computation that are now far behind grade level, and when I went to Kumon on Dallas highway this last Tuesday I met FOUR other parents, one with kids in middle school, all with the same problem. Ask the Kumon instructor, Riverstone kids come in all the time with math problems. This is not the education I was paying for. I refuse to tell the school before the year ends, because I don't want it to damage my son's education, but we won't be returning. You shouldn't either.

Posted February 13, 2013

As a parent, we always want to make the best decisions for our children, as we sometimes second guess those decisions. When your child does not want to be late, miss a day or leave when the school day ends, you are assured the choice you made was a GREAT choice. My son has attended RMA for 2 yrs and my only wish is that it continue through the 12th grade. He had a 4yr Montessori background, and RMA continue that experience through his education.Expanded it with broader social skills, unique daily experiences, and saturated positive exposure. I am a proud parent of a happy and thriving student of RMA.

Posted January 14, 2013

Excellent program - uses the same proven method that has been successful for years - teaches children all the content public school does - allows children to express themselves creatively using approaches that speak to them while learning more about the art / culture / science that inspired these methods - preaches tolerance and inclusion providing a safe haven for all children - motivates children to learn and take responsibility for their own assignments through positive reinforcement - in addition to more traditional methods, uses practical exercises (e.g., cooking) to teach principles of science (chemical reactions, biology), physics, etc.

Posted January 10, 2013

We are so thankful for Riverstone Montessori Academy. The entire staff is dedicated to a higher level of education. In addition to standard academics the children build self confidence and learn "life skills" to help them to not only survive in an outside community, but thrive and excel. They learn to work independently and with a group as well as how to identify and resolve issues without conflict. Most children are learning and advancing ahead of their years.

Posted August 8, 2012

I found that while kind in person, the office staff did not answer phone calls during the day and were unprofessional in responding to request.

Posted July 8, 2012

Like many, I'm not confident that the school is all it's cracked up to be. Just my opinion, but I've found little Montessori method to their approach.

Posted September 26, 2011

Our child began her second year at Riverstone and is now in the middle school program. Every day we are witness to how the Montessori approach serves the whole child. She is being challenged academically--without exception, but she is also learning so many life-skills....the value of a strong work-ethic, how to manage her time, the benefits of collaboration and how to lead and inspire others. Inspired by her own desire to succeed, she stays engaged in her learning and gains satisfaction in a job well done. Further, the school's approach to serving the community, developing an entrepreneurial spirit and respect for our environment align with our personal values. We listen to neighbors and friends talk about being frustrated by teaching styles, over-crowded classrooms, the 'dumming down' of curriculum, cliques and bullying--- and how 'hard' middle school can be....and are so grateful that we experience none of that. Our child is happy, valued, contributing, engaged and learning.

Posted September 14, 2011

We can't say enough about RMA! My children are thrilled to wake up in the mornings to go to school and delighted to talk about their day when they return home. The Montessori Method allows each child to work at his or her individual level, and my children are never bored! My second son (pre-K age) comes home raving about his work reading a beginner book (all by himself!) or working with the thousand chain, a long chain of beads designed to help the child visualize and count large numbers. Just this week, my oldest son (second grade age) completed a full research project on the giant squid (his choice, and completed in conjunction with several classmates). This project represented four weeks of in-depth work including reading about the squid, writing a paper, completing a painting, and even learning the anatomy of the animal. The project culminated in a dissection of a squid specimen. Next, he is planning to research snakes with a fellow classmate (again, his choice). Where else would my children be able to do things like this? Moreover, this academic work is accomplished in a peaceful, nurturing environment that addresses the whole person.

Posted August 13, 2011

We are so grateful for the RMA community and the expansive opportunities that the Montessori curriculum at Riverstone allows. See for yourself!

Posted July 27, 2011

I am proud to say that my child recently graduated from the Middle School program after having attended for 6 years. I moved her there after public school failed to keep up with my child's love for math. When we arrived, there was an adjustment period where she had to get used to the Montessori curriculum but the students and teachers made the transition very easy. Six years later, she is thriving and was recently accepted the IB program at a local highschool. My family has also volunteered on many occasions and worked with the other families in the school. I can honestly say the sense of community felt at the school is unique and quite welcoming. They facilitate gatherings so the families can get to know one another. It is a true testament to what community is all about. I will miss the families most. RMA truly stands behind their mission of creating an environment that develops the "whole" child and in essence the "whole" community. I will miss them dearly.

Posted May 31, 2011

My daughter recently graduated from this school after being there for three years. During her first year here she seemed to enjoy the learning environment and the teachers, but as she progressed into her final year she came home telling me that the teachers were not teaching correctly and that her classmates were rude to her and the teachers told her that they could not help her. This upset her very much, and now that she has graduated she says she is glad to leave. Overall the elementary classroom is great, but the middle school classroom has some major improvement.

Posted February 5, 2011

Both of our children are attending RMA and not only are they excelling above grade level in their academic work they are learning so much more. They are learning about community within the school as well as outside of the school. They are learning things that will help them develop self confidence and help them exceed in life as well. We could not be happier with our choice to enroll them at Riverstone Montessori!

Posted February 4, 2011

Riverstone Montessori has made school and learning FUN for our children! Our children are in the elementary program and all of them are thriving. The teachers and office staff are truly interested in knowing every child and every family. They recognize that each child is unique and so is their learning style. Our children are learning skills now that most people do not master until college or even later; time management, conflict resolution, compassion, cooperation, determination, and perseverence are all part of their curriculum. Academically our children are out-performing their peers in public and private schools. OUR FAMILY LOVES RMA!!!

Posted February 1, 2011

Both of our children are mastering concepts and subject matter while building a foundation for life-long learning. The joy our 8 year old feels when he understands something like "cubing" cannot be compared with getting a gold star on any third grade worksheet. Our 8 year old son is learning Algebra through the Montessori curriculum and materials. Our six year old is learning long-division. We wish we had the education they are getting! Did I mention that the boys have developed a love for quality music, theatre, art and history...and that they frequently cook for us at home. As parents, we have benefited from RMA because we get involved in school activities... we volunteer and get to know the RMA families. Like real life, we have seen successes and what some may consider failures. Failure is part of the learning process whether it is learning to walk, perform science experiments, run a school or govern a country. It is interesting to research famous people impacted by a Montessori education. Google Famous Montessori People and discover Royalty, President s families, founders of great companies, authors, artists, actors, musicians, inventors and more

Posted January 30, 2011

Our family loves this school! The students in my son's class are working way ahead of their grade level and love it! The teachers are really good at getting our son excited about school. It is so different from the private school he was in for Kindergarten. It is like watching a little community go to work with kids doing many different things and working happily without the teacher standing over them. Unlike other places we visited before, the teachers don't seem to be 'guessing' about how to teach or what my child needs. We have a toddler and I can't wait for her to go into their pre-k program! We love you RMA!

Posted June 1, 2010

Both my daughter and son are students at Riverstone Montessori Academy in the Elementary and Primary programs, respectively. Having experienced the traditional public school setting through my daughter's Kindergarten year, I can say without a doubt Montessori is the right approach for my children's education. And Riverstone is the best place for them to be. At RMA it is not only about the hands-on, advanced academics. Children are taught to respect themselves, each other and to resolve conflicts peacefully. They are taught to take care of their environment and to help others through countless community service projects. They are also given choices and encouraged to become independent. I have seen amazing academic and personal growth in both my children and they will remain at Riverstone through their Middle school years. Hopefully (fingers crossed) before then they will add high school.

Posted April 13, 2010

My daughter is part of the middle school program at RMA. It is a caring, safe, family-oriented community of well behaved and likeable students, This program has so much to offer, not only rigourous academics, they participate in community service on a regular basis, a micro-economy in the way of a student run coffee house, access to the outdoors, spanish immersion and much more. My teen has learned so much about conflict resolution, compassion and empathy. RMA has helped our daughter become a well-rounded, confident and caring individual.

Asian 1% 2%
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• Coed
Associations
  • AMI: Association of Montessori Internationale

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Montessori