No rating

East Side Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted April 7, 2014

East side is an okay school. 5 points for the regular curriculum. Zero for their so called "Target" program for the gifted. We moved from Seattle where their "Target" class room was a separate section of students though out the week. The work and assignments in Target program need far less work and skills than the regular program at east side. After a few weeks I have asked my kid to ignore target assignments on a case by case basis.

Posted April 7, 2014

Absolutely great! Teachers administration, students and kids all stellar. Had a fabulous experience with my son who is about to graduate

Posted December 19, 2013

This school should get 5 stars for the quality of the teachers and facilities. It gets 3 stars and should probably get fewer because of principal Mavity. She is a sorry excuse for a principal. She makes judgments on the kids based on her dislike of the children's parents not fitting her ideal. She does not like being bothered with kids problems. And she makes up excuses to punish children for the least of transgressions. On top of this, she is inconsistent in how she applies her form of justice. Ask any number of parents at random and you will find that she is disliked and considered a poor excuse for a principal. Sadly it seems that the school and students are stuck with her and will suffer while she "reigns".

Posted December 14, 2013

My son was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and severe ADHD after 15 months of Cobb County schooling in other schools. He was moved to East Side because they are best equipped for special needs children with Behavior Challenges. Now he LOVES school, loves his teachers, loves After School because the teachers are amazing. They have turned our lives around with teaching him how to be successful, getting A+ everyday, and learning how to be responsible with consequences. I cannot say enough about East Side, the kids there are all smart and learning at the top of their ability, and test scores seem the least important thing at this school. The parents seem to all show up to school events and are very welcoming to new parents. Rarely do they ask for special donations like other schools. Do not hesitate to move into this school district, to me it is heads above all the others nearby due to the caring teachers and staff. It also received a recent renovation and it feels like an intimate college campus. Having a special needs child is very difficult but this school shows parents each child is unique.

Posted October 24, 2013

Before coming to East Side, we our son was struggling big time educationally and socially. We moved from the Atlanta Public School system and purposely moved to this area after some research about this school. I must say it was hands down the BEST decision we ever made! The admins and teachers worked closely with my son to find ways to help him succeed. We were able to pinpoint what was going in and now he's thriving and has LOTS of friends. The parents are also great with volunteering and giving back to the school. Do I feel that they are given a bit of an over-rating at times? Yes and no. Yes because people are given the impression that this is the best ele, school in Cobb. I don't believe that. No because this school is EXCELLENT at what it does and has met our expectations 10 times over.

Posted July 25, 2013

East Side Elementary School is second to none in East Cobb. The additional educational resources provided to the school (including the Math Lab, Science Lab, Outdoor Classroom, School Garden, additional technology resources like iPads and SmartBoards, teacher training for grade-level coordinated reading and writing curriculums by top trainers in the Columbia Univ. Teacher's College, upgraded PE equipment, playground facilities....I could go on and on) are all possible thanks to the Foundation's and the PTA's efforts in working with the fantastic administration. East Side is truly like a private school with the largest after-school enrichment offerings in East Cobb (including Chess - East Side is GA state chess champion for almost every year of the last 6 years--Art, Robotics, Brainy Builders, Spanish, Guitar, Drama, Etiquette, FIT Club). The school is warm and inviting and teachers are truly engaged in make sure that all students learn to their full potential. I have 3 children that attend/have attended East Side and we love it. The school has tremendous parent involvement and the fundraising efforts are minimal when compared to other East Cobb schools' fundraising efforts.

Posted April 30, 2013

We moved here from Montgomery County, MD, the school system 2 years running. We hand-selected our neighborhood based on the outstanding reputation of East Side (along side Mt. Bethel, Triit, etc). We have not been disappointed. I myself am a former Kindergarten teacher in an elite private school. I can tell you that the education my son has received this year in Kindergarten rivals the same experience my formers students had, sans the $25,000 price tag. His teacher is outstanding, both in her experience, command of knowledge and classroom management, as well as cutting-edge professional development from Columbia Teachers College Reading/Writing Institute. Kindergarten has full-time assistant teachers, so his ratio was an incredible 1:11. The Foundation, PTA, and active parent involvement insures that my children will continue to get art, science, pe, technology, as well as an array of enriching experiences like field trips, after-school options, etc. No school is perfect, and I'm sure we will have bumps in the road, but for now I am a VERY happy East Side parents and we intend to stick with this school. Also VERY pleased with the cultural diversity for a suburban GA school!

Posted February 20, 2013

We love East Side! The quality of education rivals the expensive private schools, and the staff is very caring and friendly. The gifted program is outstanding, as is the after-school enrichment program. The student body, while not economically diverse (pretty much 100% upper middle class), is racially diverse for East Cobb. Parents are achievement-oriented and very involved. I only have minor gripes: traffic flow around the school is a mess; class sizes are huge, with no paraprofessionals (but I guess that's just public school these days). Because resources are so stretched, parents are expected to volunteer A LOT. But this does enable East Side to offer lots of enriching extras. Overall, we have had a great experience there and wouldn't go anywhere else.

Posted February 18, 2012

I have 3 children at East Side. The new facilities are just beautiful and state of the art, with Smartboards in every classroom. The feeling when I walk into ES is very warm and welcoming. Because of having 3 children at this school, I have had a lot of interaction with various teachers and find them to have an overall positive attitude towards teaching and the children in general. The curriculum is fast paced but my kids enjoy the challenge and their interests seem to be held. The administration has been very approachable and open to talking to parents. We have met so many nice families through this school. My kids love their "home away from home" and are proud to be part of the East Side family!

Posted February 17, 2012

We have had so many positive experiences at this school. The teachers are great (I have two sons, one in KG and one in 1st grade). They are learning at a phenomenal pace. The standards are very high and they are challenged to always to more & better. I really like the way the teachers speak to the kids - the little ways they have of telling them to be quiet, to sit down etc - no yelling, no impatience - very gentle and playful. There are a lot of parent volunteer work to be done. If you're like me and you like to know what is going on in the classroom - well that is just great! My kids are English second language learners, and they both get FREE extra classes and attention - one hour a day with the English teacher during school time, and two hours after school extra reading. If I had to pay for this out of my pocket the cost would have been astronomical! Also, I don't find it snobbish. The parents who wait with me in the cold by the bus stop every morning are all very down-to-earth, friendly and welcoming. I guess there are some over-active room moms out there - but you find that everywhere, don't you? Personally, I've never had problems with that. We are very happy here!

Posted May 16, 2011

My child had very unhappy experiences at this school. The need for realistic responses to incidents that happen when other children interact in a negative way to others needs to be addressed better. This is a truly snobbish place and a lot of fundraising. We pulled our child and we now homeschool.

Posted March 4, 2011

I moved to East Cobb mainly for the school system. I have not been overly impressed. My daughter attended Pre-K in Jackson County, GA and I received a great deal of feedback from her teachers/school director. Kindergarten was a NIGHTMARE. We had a dull teacher who had no ability to communicate tangible information. It was frustrating for the whole family. Now that my daughter is in 1st grade things are looking up. I get a weekly folder home with real feedback. The parents at this school certainly volunteer, but it is overall a snobby place to be. They are all so catty and materialistic. I am praying the housing market turns around so we can get back to reality. I don't want my child to think that this "East Cobb Snobbiness" is the real world. I agree with other reviews that this school could focus more on education and less on all the $ to send in and who donates the most etc. The major redeeming quality of this school is that I feel like my daughter is in a safe place. The neighborhood is pretty calm and very family friendly. Yep...I think that is the only thing I would RAVE about. Looking forward to getting out of here before my son starts.

Posted February 25, 2011

East Side is a great school. Competition, leadership, and great education. The teachers are very excellent and challenging. If you have any questions there is always someone to ask. It also has challenging academic programs. If you are looking for and elementary school to go to East Side is the one!

Posted November 18, 2010

Our daughter transfered to East Side from another Cobb County elementary school, and the difference in curriculum is evident, even within the same school system. Rather than being given busy work or reinforcing skills she'd mastered two years ago, she is now being challenged. Independent thought, creativity, and interaction are encouraged. The environment at East Side Elementary is that of a community. The fundraising may seem a bit over the top to some, but it is exactly why we moved to this school district. The money raised directly impacts the students' educational experience, providing far more opportunities than one would be afforded at many other public schools. The staff and parents are friendly and involved.

Posted October 15, 2009

A school is partly what you as a parent put into it as well. Conferences are available any time by just asking. Fall Festival was $10 per child, not $60! Agree that there is a lot of fundraising, but that is how they can offer more than what the school district offers - science lab w/ specialized teacher, special white boards in classrooms, computers, upgraded softwares for learning, new playground, arts programs, reading programs, math programs and after school enrichment programs in art, sports, academics, chess, robotics, and more make this an exceptional place. Not all classes are a breeze - there are challenges that the kids need to rise up to and learn to acheive. This school feeds into two great middle schools that are both challenging, and then into the best high school in the state, and amongst the top in the country.

Posted October 8, 2009

The office staff is indeed nice, tons of parents all over the place, and the teachers are nice enough. However, I see a huge lack of effort on the teachers parts to communicate with parents other than weekly folders, which are sent home on mondays. We moved here 2 years ago with honor roll students to go to a better school. I have now watched 2 kids struggle with school work with little feedback from teachers and only 1 conference that is held at the end of the year. There is a huge amount of effort in raising money. It is a country club community however, $60 plus dollars to attend a fall festival is to much. Every week there is another flyer in the backpacks for another fundraiser. More effort needs to be put on academics. Less on fund raising and socializing!

Posted December 3, 2008

No hype - just positive results. I am at the school often and don't see kids in pj's. There certainly are some disciplinary issues with a few kids - out of 1,000 children there will always be a few that are still learning to fit in. In my experience - I have never seen any of the teachers working with the bottom of the bell curve. My kids are very bright, at the head of their classes and are not bored - would like a little more homework though. School is first in line for upgrading from school board, so trailers will be gone soon. One 'bad area on grounds is fenced off and off limits for the kids. A little stronger guidance at ASP is only thing I can see that is needed in this very diverse student body who are state chess champions. Kids are happy, healthy, and learning

Posted October 16, 2008

Despite all the hype, this is not a good or a safe school. Many of the kids come dressed in their pajamas and flip -flops (even in january), the grounds are poorly kept and even dangerous in some areas. Bullying is commoneplace and generally ignored and some of the kids, even the young kids, are serious discipline problems. Several of the teachers seem to be 'mailing it in' rather than putting forth any effort. If your kid is smart and a good student, they will get bored while the teacher works with the 'trailing end of the bell curve' kids. In summary, if you care about your children, vote with your feet. Keep them away from here at all costs!

Posted October 9, 2008

There is a lot of enthusiasm and excitement at East Side! Teachers, staff and parents are working together to make it a great experience for the children. There is a lot of positive energy and my child loves going to school there!

Posted June 25, 2008

My daughter attends East Side and just finished Kindergarten. We have been very pleased there with little to no exception. Since I was in her class often, I noticed all the children excelled in Mrs. Oakley's class ! .

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 21% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3850 Roswell Rd