East Side Elementary School 4

Posted April 07, 2014
East side is an okay school. 5 points for the regular curriculum. Zero for their so called "Target" program for the gifted. We moved from Seattle where their "Target" class room was a separate section of students though out the week. The work and assignments in Target program need far less work and skills than the regular program at east side. After a few weeks I have asked my kid to ignore target assignments on a case by case basis.

Posted April 07, 2014
Absolutely great! Teachers administration, students and kids all stellar. Had a fabulous experience with my son who is about to graduate

East Side Elementary School 3

Posted December 19, 2013
This school should get 5 stars for the quality of the teachers and facilities. It gets 3 stars and should probably get fewer because of principal Mavity. She is a sorry excuse for a principal. She makes judgments on the kids based on her dislike of the children's parents not fitting her ideal. She does not like being bothered with kids problems. And she makes up excuses to punish children for the least of transgressions. On top of this, she is inconsistent in how she applies her form of justice. Ask any number of parents at random and you will find that she is disliked and considered a poor excuse for a principal. Sadly it seems that the school and students are stuck with her and will suffer while she "reigns".

Posted December 14, 2013
My son was diagnosed with Aspergers Syndrome and severe ADHD after 15 months of Cobb County schooling in other schools. He was moved to East Side because they are best equipped for special needs children with Behavior Challenges. Now he LOVES school, loves his teachers, loves After School because the teachers are amazing. They have turned our lives around with teaching him how to be successful, getting A+ everyday, and learning how to be responsible with consequences. I cannot say enough about East Side, the kids there are all smart and learning at the top of their ability, and test scores seem the least important thing at this school. The parents seem to all show up to school events and are very welcoming to new parents. Rarely do they ask for special donations like other schools. Do not hesitate to move into this school district, to me it is heads above all the others nearby due to the caring teachers and staff. It also received a recent renovation and it feels like an intimate college campus. Having a special needs child is very difficult but this school shows parents each child is unique.

Posted October 24, 2013
Before coming to East Side, we our son was struggling big time educationally and socially. We moved from the Atlanta Public School system and purposely moved to this area after some research about this school. I must say it was hands down the BEST decision we ever made! The admins and teachers worked closely with my son to find ways to help him succeed. We were able to pinpoint what was going in and now he's thriving and has LOTS of friends. The parents are also great with volunteering and giving back to the school. Do I feel that they are given a bit of an over-rating at times? Yes and no. Yes because people are given the impression that this is the best ele, school in Cobb. I don't believe that. No because this school is EXCELLENT at what it does and has met our expectations 10 times over.

Posted July 25, 2013
East Side Elementary School is second to none in East Cobb. The additional educational resources provided to the school (including the Math Lab, Science Lab, Outdoor Classroom, School Garden, additional technology resources like iPads and SmartBoards, teacher training for grade-level coordinated reading and writing curriculums by top trainers in the Columbia Univ. Teacher's College, upgraded PE equipment, playground facilities....I could go on and on) are all possible thanks to the Foundation's and the PTA's efforts in working with the fantastic administration. East Side is truly like a private school with the largest after-school enrichment offerings in East Cobb (including Chess - East Side is GA state chess champion for almost every year of the last 6 years--Art, Robotics, Brainy Builders, Spanish, Guitar, Drama, Etiquette, FIT Club). The school is warm and inviting and teachers are truly engaged in make sure that all students learn to their full potential. I have 3 children that attend/have attended East Side and we love it. The school has tremendous parent involvement and the fundraising efforts are minimal when compared to other East Cobb schools' fundraising efforts.

Posted April 30, 2013
We moved here from Montgomery County, MD, the school system 2 years running. We hand-selected our neighborhood based on the outstanding reputation of East Side (along side Mt. Bethel, Triit, etc). We have not been disappointed. I myself am a former Kindergarten teacher in an elite private school. I can tell you that the education my son has received this year in Kindergarten rivals the same experience my formers students had, sans the $25,000 price tag. His teacher is outstanding, both in her experience, command of knowledge and classroom management, as well as cutting-edge professional development from Columbia Teachers College Reading/Writing Institute. Kindergarten has full-time assistant teachers, so his ratio was an incredible 1:11. The Foundation, PTA, and active parent involvement insures that my children will continue to get art, science, pe, technology, as well as an array of enriching experiences like field trips, after-school options, etc. No school is perfect, and I'm sure we will have bumps in the road, but for now I am a VERY happy East Side parents and we intend to stick with this school. Also VERY pleased with the cultural diversity for a suburban GA school!

Posted February 20, 2013
We love East Side! The quality of education rivals the expensive private schools, and the staff is very caring and friendly. The gifted program is outstanding, as is the after-school enrichment program. The student body, while not economically diverse (pretty much 100% upper middle class), is racially diverse for East Cobb. Parents are achievement-oriented and very involved. I only have minor gripes: traffic flow around the school is a mess; class sizes are huge, with no paraprofessionals (but I guess that's just public school these days). Because resources are so stretched, parents are expected to volunteer A LOT. But this does enable East Side to offer lots of enriching extras. Overall, we have had a great experience there and wouldn't go anywhere else.

Posted February 18, 2012
I have 3 children at East Side. The new facilities are just beautiful and state of the art, with Smartboards in every classroom. The feeling when I walk into ES is very warm and welcoming. Because of having 3 children at this school, I have had a lot of interaction with various teachers and find them to have an overall positive attitude towards teaching and the children in general. The curriculum is fast paced but my kids enjoy the challenge and their interests seem to be held. The administration has been very approachable and open to talking to parents. We have met so many nice families through this school. My kids love their "home away from home" and are proud to be part of the East Side family!

Posted February 17, 2012
We have had so many positive experiences at this school. The teachers are great (I have two sons, one in KG and one in 1st grade). They are learning at a phenomenal pace. The standards are very high and they are challenged to always to more & better. I really like the way the teachers speak to the kids - the little ways they have of telling them to be quiet, to sit down etc - no yelling, no impatience - very gentle and playful. There are a lot of parent volunteer work to be done. If you're like me and you like to know what is going on in the classroom - well that is just great! My kids are English second language learners, and they both get FREE extra classes and attention - one hour a day with the English teacher during school time, and two hours after school extra reading. If I had to pay for this out of my pocket the cost would have been astronomical! Also, I don't find it snobbish. The parents who wait with me in the cold by the bus stop every morning are all very down-to-earth, friendly and welcoming. I guess there are some over-active room moms out there - but you find that everywhere, don't you? Personally, I've never had problems with that. We are very happy here!

East Side Elementary School
3850 Roswell Rd, Marietta, GA  30062
Last modified East Side Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5
East Side Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 33 reviews. Top