Marietta, GA
Students enrolled: 1,299

Posted August 26, 2014
While others have posted that ECMS is awful, each child is different and each family has a different take on the school. Don't be worried about sending your child to ECMS if they already have good grades, have respect for others, and have a positive influence on others. Middle school is a tough time with kid's hormones, bullying and drama. I haven't heard of a school that doesn't deal with those issues, but I will say that if you have a confident, smart child, there are opportunities for that child to succeed and do well. This also takes involvement on the part of the parents, which they need more of (the only reason I rated that low). No sitting back and expecting the school to do everything for your child and expecting the small number of dedicated volunteers to do it all. Remember, they are one of 1,300. The volunteers, teachers, and staff at ECMS do a great job in spite of the challenges of such a diverse population. The building and facilities are poor, but it's slated to be replaced within the next few years. Currently have one child in 7th and will have one going into 6th next year.
3 people found this helpful

Posted January 13, 2014
ECMS is an awful school. With the exception of one of my child's teachers, the teaching stuff they learned in 4th grade. My child has been bullied by several students and yet the staff there don't do anything about the issues at hand. They seem to think its ok to have bullying in the school... I was told "My child has to physically come to them and state they are being bullied in order for them to do anything". Thats obsurd! When a parent tells you this is what is being seen at home and your child doesn't want to go to school.,.,. this is a CLEAR sign!!!!! The sign "NO BULLY ZONE" or "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" are false advertising. They don't care and their rating on this site proves it!!!!! The administrative staff should care not only about the paycheck they get but really whats more important.... the child who gets money stolen from them, or personal belongings taken away and the child has to chase the bully around the room to get the item back. And what is that the teacher is doing to stop this!?! Nothing. The teacher sits down and ignores the student being bullied. What parent doesn't see this as a case of bullying....

East Cobb Middle School 5

Posted January 04, 2014
ECM is a great school and my son is doing well there. My daughter also attended ECM and exceeded. I have one more child that will attend ECM and I am looking forward to it. Thanks

Posted December 22, 2013
i want to ECMS and i absolutely loved it. Sure there were some fights and bullies, but every school has them. I had a great experience, loved almost all of my teachers, and learned a ton. I am now in a Magnet program and East Cobb more than prepared me for the courses. The teachers are really good at helping you, all you have to do is ask. Overall East Cobb was a great experience for me and definitely will help me in the real world.

Posted December 10, 2013
I was under the impression that this was a great school for my child to attend. I am not under that impression anymore. We all talk about kids being bullies, but you have to keep your eyes open now and watch out for the teachers. Some teachers are bullies as well as also manipulators. Bring something to their attention they are quick to say that the students who witness or say anything about what happened is a problem child. Me as a parent feel that no teacher or administrator should criticize or down talk about a child to another parent. I feel that if more students didn't feel that they would be treated different if they told on a teacher that may be talking to them any kind of way, I believe a lot of light would be shed on these teachers. Some teachers need to learn to listen to students as well and not just go off of what someone say. And if you're gonna talk about another student to others make sure its not so everyone can hear you or if I'm an outsider I shouldn't hear how bad you just talked about someones child.

Posted June 20, 2013
East Cobb Middle School has been a great place for my kids. I have one who is now in the Wheeler magnet and one who is currently attending. Advanced content classes are great. Parents on ptsa and foundation are involved. Connection classes provide a wealth of opportunities. Next splost is set to build a new school. If you know, you go!

Posted June 20, 2013
We have had a very positive experience! Great kids and teachers! The parents on the PTSA and Foundation are awesome!!

Posted April 16, 2013
Okay, let me just say that if you go there, you won't learn. The teachers are really bland. My mom took me out of this school because I couldn't learn. If you're in AC classes, you're good. If you aren't, good luck. There would always be multiple fights a day in the girls locker room and lots of verbal abuse.

Posted March 21, 2013
I was quite nervous about my son going to ECMS, all the reviews scared me! Now with almost a full year behind us I am honestly very happy. He is playing violin AND lacrosse, he's in all AC classes, getting straight A's and learning about the real world. I am very pleased with the high academic schedule and the opportunity for him to grow and mature. If you're in the ECMS district, don't be afraid, you'll be pleasantly surprised as well.

Posted March 21, 2013
My children played in orchestra, had teachers who cared very much about their education and made lots of new friends. It was a wonderful experience for our whole family.

East Cobb Middle School
380 Holt Rd NE, Marietta, GA  30068
Last modified East Cobb Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.
East Cobb Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 67 reviews. Top