Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

We have had nothing but good experiences with teachers. Some have different teaching styles, but all have been efficient.

Amount of homework: Agree

She has projects and homework that directly apply to what she is learning for milestones and other tests. The practice is helpful. The reading outside of classes can be a little much at times but it's expanding her mind.

Develops character: Strongly agree

They have a PBIS program in place which is Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports, which rewards kids for being respectful, showing pride and achieving excellence in and out of the classroom. The principal works hard to make sure the teachers are supported so that they can support the kids.

ECMS has a very diverse population of students, which is very scary to some parents. However, I think the diversity of cultures, races, and backgrounds is actually preparing my child for the real world much more than a school where everyone looks and acts the same. My child is receiving a great education and the administration is very helpful in making sure that EVERY child is getting what they need. Many people who give the school poor ratings, have never stepped a foot in the doors, which is not fair. The building is old and dated, but we will be in a new school in August of 2017 and our new principal has brought positive change to ECMS. Highly recommend.

It's unfortunate that East Cobb Middle School has such a bad reputation. I admit, I was hesitant myself to send my children there. I currently have an 8th grader and a 6th grader there and this school has far surpassed my expectations. I have one child in AC classes and one in regular classes. Both of my kids love this school! The teachers have been very hands-on, attentive and seem to genuinely care about their students. The staff has been nothing but helpful from day one, and the unique diversity for this area has been great for both of my children. The only disappointment is that there isn't enough parent involvement with volunteering. There have been a lot of changes in the past few years and I have heard from other parents that East Cobb Middle School has greatly improved compared to several years ago. They have a new principal, so that may be part of the reason it's now great. If you are on the fence about sending your child to ECMS, I would highly recommend it.

Huge fan of ECMS. My oldest was there for 3 years and is now at Wheeler. My youngest is in 7th grade. My children have very different personalities and presentations and both have found a place at the table at ECMS. Rich diversity, brilliant caring teachers, a vibe you will not find anywhere else in East Cobb. I would highly recommend it to anyone seeking an atmosphere that encourages kindness and excellence.

Target classes are great. other classes are not that good. Yes, there is bullying in the gym. and may be in the other classes.

While others have posted that ECMS is awful, each child is different and each family has a different take on the school. Don't be worried about sending your child to ECMS if they already have good grades, have respect for others, and have a positive influence on others. Middle school is a tough time with kid's hormones, bullying and drama. I haven't heard of a school that doesn't deal with those issues, but I will say that if you have a confident, smart child, there are opportunities for that child to succeed and do well. This also takes involvement on the part of the parents, which they need more of (the only reason I rated that low). No sitting back and expecting the school to do everything for your child and expecting the small number of dedicated volunteers to do it all. Remember, they are one of 1,300. The volunteers, teachers, and staff at ECMS do a great job in spite of the challenges of such a diverse population. The building and facilities are poor, but it's slated to be replaced within the next few years. Currently have one child in 7th and will have one going into 6th next year.

ECMS is an awful school. With the exception of one of my child's teachers, the teaching stuff they learned in 4th grade. My child has been bullied by several students and yet the staff there don't do anything about the issues at hand. They seem to think its ok to have bullying in the school... I was told "My child has to physically come to them and state they are being bullied in order for them to do anything". Thats obsurd! When a parent tells you this is what is being seen at home and your child doesn't want to go to school.,.,. this is a CLEAR sign!!!!! The sign "NO BULLY ZONE" or "NO CHILD LEFT BEHIND" are false advertising. They don't care and their rating on this site proves it!!!!! The administrative staff should care not only about the paycheck they get but really whats more important.... the child who gets money stolen from them, or personal belongings taken away and the child has to chase the bully around the room to get the item back. And what is that the teacher is doing to stop this!?! Nothing. The teacher sits down and ignores the student being bullied. What parent doesn't see this as a case of bullying....

ECM is a great school and my son is doing well there. My daughter also attended ECM and exceeded. I have one more child that will attend ECM and I am looking forward to it. Thanks

Last modified East Cobb Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.