Marietta, GA
Students enrolled: 1,119

Posted May 30, 2014
If you are a parent obsessively scouring the internet for information about public schools, I am writing this for you. Good parents agonize over every tidbit of data, ranking, test score, demographic, and unfortunately, review they can find. Intuitively, we all know online reviews are of dubious value. It doesn t take much experience to know (1) some people cannot be satisfied, and (2) the most vocal reviewers tend to be disgruntled. So, I come to my thoughts about Sope Creek, which I hazard are shared by the great majority of parents. Look at the data, come visit the school, talk to people, see for yourself. Sope Creek is an excellent school. The faculty and administration are intelligent, responsive, caring, and dedicated. The curriculum is challenging and enriching. Our children attend school with well behaved, engaged kids. The list of parent volunteers in our daughter s class was pages long. We have no doubt our children will be well prepared for the rigors of Dickerson Middle and Walton High School. My wife and I are well educated professionals. We could have paid for private school, but with public schools like these in East Cobb, for us it was a no-brainer.

Posted April 28, 2014
My kid was at his 1st grade this year and we had the best school year ever with Mrs.Aronson. She was very kind and emphatic and very traditional. The principal Mrs.Whalen, was very dedicated and stayed back on the day of inclement weather till the last student was picked up by his parents till 10PM. The school also offers enrichment programs as part of ASP and TARGET!!

Sope Creek Elementary School 3

Posted December 13, 2013
We only care only about test scores, not so much the students. We have a teaching approach that we believe is outstanding but when compared to other schools it really isnt, and the kids are actually no smarter and no more prepared then any other kids. More like "smoke and mirrors".

Sope Creek Elementary School 1

Posted August 05, 2013
We had nightmares in this school with the teachers, management, etc....This school need Robots and not kids. They expect kids to do what they tune for(like Robots) and if they act like kids sometimes, they make a big deal and say the Robot is Malfunctioned and needs repair. Please stay away if you have smart kids and they only teach to the lowest grade level kids and if you have a above average kids who is smart but, can't get in to Target program then, they dont do anything extra. I've heard the once a week Target program is also a joke. I agree with the person below, my kid was lost couple of times as well I wonder how come they dont have escorts around the campus and let the kids miss their way. All that the kids do is ixl and raz kids. My kid learnt a lot from teaching home than at school. I really wonder how this school has been rated 10..probably for having lots of mpney from million dollar neighborhoods. They have no respect for parents or kids, starting from principal, vice principal, counselors, teachers etc.. Please stay away from this school and dont get cheated by the rating.

Posted July 09, 2013
Sope Creek is an exceptional school. Students are challenged in the classrooms and provided with many extra curricular opportunities. Every teacher we have encountered has been top notch. We are very happy with Sope Creek!

Posted July 05, 2013
I agree with the special needs comments, they don't welcome or want them there/ and you don't want your child there either. Send them to another one of the wonderful, caring and loving schools in Cobb County. This just isn't one of them. The principal is awful also..

Posted May 06, 2013
Absolutely Terrifying! Avoid this school at all costs. Education begins in ones' home. My son attended Sope creek this past year, On the first day at bus loading coming home, he walked out on to the play ground and was with the after school kids.. No one knew where he was . He was suppose to be on the bus coming home. .My wife rushed to the school .., I was prepared to call the police.. My wife found him upon arriving , he was in the After School program outside. They didnt know who he was..either. Second incident: My son and another boy had to write behavior notes before being let out to play for the little play time that they do get. The teacher let him out.. at that same time the Sub Asst teacher had brought the other kids inside.. He was left outside by himself and had to knock on the school back door to get back in. Folks we moved here from my job in Asia, not knowing anything about Georgia or Atlanta.. We looked at Great Schools for advice on selecting a good school. Sope is rated 10 However I would score them 10 on Gross Neglect, Cruel and usual punishment, over working the kids and a general feeling of depression when you walk in the school. Education begins in the home

Sope Creek Elementary School 1

Posted December 16, 2012
Overall, I was told the school has great teachers. Please think twice if you have a child with special needs. While I received glowing recommendations from parents, I do not recommend this school if your child has special needs. Again, please think twice...

Posted September 26, 2012
The pricipal does not treat the parents with respect. Her philosphy is based on learning to learn, no focus on basic skills unless you count the CRCT, which is joke. Successful, experienced teachers are required to toe the line, or risk the pricipal's wrath. There are many great teachers if you are either lucky enough or volunteer enough to get one. The one day a week Target program is a poor substitute for challenging gifted children daily in the classroom. Subjects are taught to the slowest students, there is no attemp to teach to ability. My children's biggest complaint is boredom. The school feels like a prison -the bulletin boards are dull, kids marching along, perfectly spaced apart, eyes staring dully forward. Our experience hasn't been entirely negative. The vice principal knows the children and communicates honestly with the parents and we have been fortunate to have great experiences with teachers that were at Sope Creek prior to the current administration.

Posted June 11, 2012
We moved to the area a year ago from Tennessee due to a job transfer. Before the move, I had done a lot of research on the area and the schools. I can say without a doubt that this past school year was one of the best my children have ever had. The teachers were so kind, and they really helped make the transition to a new school as easy as possible. I felt my children were really challenged, and they learned a lot this year. I felt that the administration of the school was very approachable and caring as well. As for the person that posted the comment on June 8, you birthed the child...it is YOUR responsibility to make sure YOUR child behaves. The teachers are overwhelmed with academic responsibilities, and yes they have HIGH expectations. I am very thankful the teachers at this school have high expectations. When the bar is set high, the children will rise to meet those expectations.

Sope Creek Elementary School
3320 Paper Mill Rd SE, Marietta, GA  30067
Last modified Sope Creek Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Sope Creek Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 54 reviews. Top