Rocky Mount Elementary School

Public | PK-5

Posted November 12, 2013

My child has attended Rocky Mount from Kindergarten to Fifth grade and I still feel like a stranger when I walk in the door. The school has a cold atmosphere and most of the front office staff is extremely unfriendly. It is a safe school and for that I am grateful. Most of the teachers there are outstanding although we did struggle with one, which come to find out many others had the same problem. I would say the overall experience there was disappointing and if I had to do it all over again I would have moved to a different district. Academics are important but so are the cherished memories of elementary school and Rocky Mount definitely fell short of those! Why they are so miserable I cannot understand for they are in a fabulous area and have a lovely school.

Posted September 18, 2013

This school pleasantly surprised me with the focus in instilling down-to-earth values and discipline in children.

Posted February 12, 2013

We are in the unique position of having children in different elementary schools. My hearing impaired child goes to Rocky Mount. If I were to make a choice between Rocky Mount and the other top rated school, I would choose Rocky Mount. The staff are fantastic, the social workers are pro-active and engaging (before there are any problems!). I am going Rocky Mount and that close community feel which I know we don't have at the other school.

Posted September 17, 2012

Gone are the days are "warm and fuzzy"! When the former principal left, unfortunately, that left too. It feels like my child is a student i.d. capable only of being drilled for standardized testing. When will the administration remember that in order to have successful children turn into successful adults, you have to remember social/emotional aspects of the child and not just academia? It doesn't feel like "public" school anymore. More like "government" school. Big difference.

Posted September 16, 2012

Rocky Mount is a wonderful school with fabulous teachers. I've felt very fortunate to send my children there. I'm very sad to say that my satisfaction has been shaken this school year by the institution of a new "silent lunch" policy. It goes completely against what I've always known the school to be: a place where children are encouraged to be responsible, respectful, well-mannered human beings. This year, instead of looking happy and social in the cafeteria, as they have in years past, the students appear scared and belittled. It has been stunning and quite horrifying. I never thought this would happen in our school. I hope for a quick end to this new policy, so that I can once again feel good about, and speak highly of Rocky Mount.

Posted May 3, 2012

I am shocked to read the criticism of Gail May. My experience as a parent has been very good with the entire administration, including Ms. May. One of my kids had a minor learning problem -- it was quickly addressed in a caring manner by no less than six administration members. My son is now making high grades and doing great. My daughter was hit once by a child. One call to Ms. May took care of that problem instantly. The bully has been moved to another class away from my daughter, and Ms. May was very kind in addressing my concerns. It is good to see zero tolerance for bullying at Rocky Mt. after what we've read about other schools in the news. It's good to see the attention given to the well behaved kids who are working hard, vs. the coddling given to the troublemakers at other schools. We love Rocky Mount!

Posted December 16, 2011

We have two children attending Rocky Mount and we couldn't be more pleased! Our children are challenged academically and valued as members of the school community. Our kids have had innovative, inspiring, and motivated teachers who seem to love their jobs. We chose to move into the Rocky Mount district because we liked the small school size and we haven't been disappointed.

Posted December 7, 2011

I am not valued as a parent. This school wants to do what they want to do and wish the parents would keep their mouths closed. I am hoping Gail May the pincipal will retire soon or get transferred soon! Some of the teachers are good and my son has learned a lot BUT again on their terms with little communication.

Posted April 17, 2011

This is a fine school for all the kids that land on the bell curve. You will do fine and be pushed through the system. However, this school does not adapt well to children with specific needs. They are all categorized under one umbrella and never again looked at as capable of anything. However, there is a huge push to make sure they pass the CRCT's. This test seems to be the one thing this school focuses around and when that is over, so is the school year. Not much more learning goes on after the test, but my kids due tend to get a lot of movie watching time in.

Posted January 18, 2011

Terrible communications to and with parents! The website is outdated and rarely updated, the PTA page has been 'under construction' since October 2010, and the Adminstrator's blog hasn't been updated at all since October. If you e-mail or call the administration, you will not get a response for days -if at all. The teachers are fantastic but with the poor adminstration and management of the school, I have to wonder how many good teachers will look to be reassigned to other schools. Compared to other schools in the area, Rocky Mount is about 20 years behind the times with regard to use of the web and communications with parents.

Posted September 19, 2009

From the headmistress on down the staff focuses on the whole child.

Posted June 19, 2009

Rocky Mount is a happy place to be whether you are a student, parent or teacher. I have been very impressed with the instructional program offered by the teachers as well as the parental and student support provided by the administration. I have nothing but postitive things to say about the principal, Mrs. May. She is a warm and friendly leader who seems genuinely invested in the success of each and every student at Rocky Mount.

Posted May 27, 2009

Academically, Rocky Mount is outstanding. The teachers are wonderful and we've had great experience in the years we've been at this school. The extracurricular clubs offered are exceptional and make for well rounded students. Assistant Principal, Kyle Geisler is an amazing leader and very responsive to parents and the kids. Principal, Gail May, was new this school year but I did not see that same level of involvement and response out of her as I see with Mr. Geisler or the former principal, Beth Perry. Mrs. May came from a different role within the school district so hopefully she will adapt and be more responsive in coming years.

Posted May 10, 2009

I have three kids in this school and they all love it. I would have a hard time finding another school, due to how much they love it here. The teachers are very involved with the kids and the parents and encourage parents to communicate, ask questions, and set up appointments if needed/wanted. The principal is a bit out of site, but I chalk that up to being new and the fact that we were spoiled with our last principal. Mrs. Peery was so outstanding, no one can compare. Mr. Geisler the assistant principal is very involved with the kids. He knows most all of them by name and they love the fact that he is always ready and willing to make a fool of himself if the right situation calls for it! The PTA is very involved and so are parents, that can. Overall it is a great school.

Posted April 30, 2009

I enrolled my child here in this school because of its ratings. I must say this school has a friendly atmostphere and my daughter has a fantastic teacher. But I have to say I am absolutely disappointed with the new principal Mrs.Gail May. She makes no effort to get to know the parents. She walks around with an air of superiority and like the previous parent reported she is totally inaccessible to parents. Compared to her, Mr.Kyle, the assistant principal is much more humane than the existing principal. It is a shame that school rating has gone down all because of this principal. When I enrolled my daughter in this school , the rating was 10 in all fields. Poor choice in the principal... i second that fully !!!

Posted April 3, 2009

Rocky Mount's teachers are outstanding and the after school program is top notch. However, the new principal is not nearly as involved or accessible to parents and students as the former principal was. The school and it's PTA make little to no room for a working parent to be fully involved in the school. Overall, we are pleased with the progress our children are making at Rocky Mount and for that, I credit the teachers 100%.

Posted January 21, 2009

My 4 yr. old is in the special needs preschool program and has made such incredible progress in a very short period of time. We could not be happier elsewhere!

Posted October 18, 2008

My 3 year old just started in Rocky Mt's Deaf/Hard of Hearing preschool program and I am amazed at the progress she is already making. Mrs. Barnes and Mrs. Judge are wonderful. I also have a 1st grader in Ms. August's class and he comes home brimming with happy stories about what he learned every day.

Posted January 11, 2008

Wow! We moved here from a fabulous school system in the northeast that was hard to leave. However, we couldn't be happier! There is a wonderful sense of community in this school with a lot of parent and community support and involvement. The administration and teachers are top notch! I couldn't be more pleased.

Posted September 19, 2007

Rocky Mount is a wonderful school. The principal is actively involved with the children, and does an absolutely wonderful job. I couldn't be more pleased with the teachers, after school programs, art and music programs, etc. Parental and community involvement is very high also. As a parent w/ a gifted and a special needs child I have seen a wide spectrum at this school and know it's wonderful.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 86% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 85% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 87% in 2010.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 91% in 2010.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

86 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 92% in 2013.

85 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 78% in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 83% in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 83% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

100 students were tested at this school in 2013.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 94% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 90% in 2013.

110 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 93% in 2013.

109 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 80% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 81% in 2013.

112 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 80% in 2012.

108 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2009

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 7% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

2400 Rocky Mountain Rd NE