Marietta, GA
Students enrolled: 1,274

Posted August 26, 2014
I have a 7th grader at Dickerson and we are very happy with the school and the educational opportunity offered here. We moved to the area for the schools and he started at Dickerson last year as a 6th grader. Knowing almost no one in school along with all the other distractions of being a 6th grader, my son got off to a slow and slightly rocky start. All of his teachers responded with a great show of support for him and our family and very soon my son was back on track. He carries a full load of Advanced Curriculum coursework and is off to a great start to 7th grade. I only hope the school and staff is as wonderful when my younger son who is on level arrives at Dickerson next year.

Dickerson Middle School 1

Posted July 24, 2014
The most pathetic school of them all. My younger brother went this school, and he was actually abused by the teachers, and the principle did not move an inch to stop this. Rather she wanted to protect the school, and so she let the bullying continue. This school does not care about children it only cares about the rating it is given. I hope there is a leadership change, and this school truly lives up its responsibility within the community.

Dickerson Middle School 4

Posted May 23, 2014
My son just finished up his 6th grade year at Dickerson and overall it has been a positive experience. He took all AC classes and although the work was challenging at times, it was not overwhelming. It does take discipline on both the parent and student to make sure work is completed, but it doesn't interfere with sports or other activities. All of his teachers kept updated blogs which made it easy to check on assignments and tests. The administration is very approachable and easy to talk to about concerns. A small incident with another student was taken care of immediately. Dickerson is slightly militant, but I would rather that than chaos. There's very little hand holding and my son got a rude awakening when he forgot to turn in an assignment and received a zero. Welcome to real life. I imagine the majority of kids who go through Dickerson do not find high school that difficult.

Dickerson Middle School 4

Posted October 24, 2013
My son attends Dickerson. I am glad that we chose this school for his 8th grade year, however it is EXTREMELY challenging and at times I find it to be a "living like the Jones" type environment. For us parents who consider themselves to be average, this school beams with money, popularity, and having the finer things. There is nothing wrong with this but if you're a family whose not financially able to keep up with the demands, this is NOT the school for you. Luckily we are very "able" but I think it takes away from teaching the students to be humble and focus on succeeding. The band (which my son participates in) is very good and there a alot of talented students. The teachers and admins are all very polite and care for the students. Not a whole lot of negative things to say, but I would've have liked to have seen more diversity among the students and staff...

Dickerson Middle School 2

Posted August 09, 2013
To say the least, I did not enjoy my years at Dickerson. However, I'm glad I went through the Dickerson experience. I did not regret doing so. I found that there were only a selected few teachers I felt I could trust as a child. Because of this, I became friends with those who I had previously disliked in elementary school, and those who I had already befriended formed even stronger connections with me. I learned a lot at Dickerson, but I still feel like they pushed us too hard. I couldn't enjoy my subjects, and the teachers droned on and on - just looking at a textbook made me want to run away. I never felt supported by anyone but friends and family. In my experience, a student should feel like they can feel connected to their school. To Dickerson, I didn't. Once I got to 8th, my hair had begun to turn white. My doctor said it was from stress, so my mother transferred me to a different school. I don't think Dickerson deserves it's current "Best School in Atlanta". It will get you far, but the stress is ridiculous, and no student should have to go through that without so much as a choice of their own.

Dickerson Middle School 1

Posted July 06, 2013
I'm a student at this school, and have been since 6th grade. All I can say is that they need to really, REALLY, work on discipline, talking, pushing people in the halls, the teachers and their attitudes, heavy homework and studying, gossiping, connections, acceptance, and the school overall. Their "good" reputation is kept by parents that are doctors and lawyers. They need to have more clubs too, for people that aren't so physically involved. You know, it needs to be a school to everyone, not to cheerleaders and football players. I feel bad for the people that go to this school, at least the average kids. If you don't have straight A's and a group, it's hard. They need to be bringing out the talents in students, not just those popular few, but the kids who aren't looked at everyday. I'm currently going to 8th grade, and it's been a hard run for me so far. I hope that they let off the academics a little bit. I'm not stupid, but I also don't want to be working on homework all day. I enjoy other things rather than school sometimes, no, all of the time, since this school is so stressing and pressuring. I don't have 5435 characters to sum it all up, but I'll try to leave you with that.

Posted April 11, 2013
This is indeed a great school. I think that what some individuals here are complaining about is that in this school, academics is not dumbed down to appease the underachievers. If your child is struggling, get them help or help them yourselves. How about taking them off electronics until that D is a B??? Or is that too much work...

Dickerson Middle School 2

Posted January 17, 2013
This school is great if you are quick with your work and independent. Teachers do not have time to help everyone in their class, and in subjects like math, I received 2-3 homework sheets with a back and front that are expected to be done by the next morning. Teachers are very kind, but to be honest, if you are not getting A's and B's, they can be a little unfriendly. But, if you are very independent and are fast with your work and earn good grades, this is the perfect school for you. Teachers do not take the necessary precautions to quiet the students down during class, and at least a quarter of the class is bound to be the group that constantly misbehaves. The girls are very gossipy, and once one of them said to my face, "Why are you so cool and why is your sister so weird?". This upset me very much - there are some nasty bullying / gossiping issues that the school needs to fix. The music program is very nice,and the library is a very nice place to work and has lots of reading and learning material. The school has a nice gym and field to play on. I wouldn't recommend this school unless you are an advanced student. If you are a average student like me, you won't survive.

Posted November 06, 2012
Love this school! I am thankful we moved to this district for our child. The standards are very high. The overall atmosphere is about academic achievement. If you are looking for an excellent education in a very organized school.....this is the place! Our child is so much happier here than he was at his previous middle school.

Posted October 05, 2012
We just moved here from California. The school is much harder than what we were used to. so my sons grades have suffered the first quarter but have improved greatly .i have found the teachers to be very caring and attentive. There are help sessions before school if needed. And I can't believe you can see your child's grades on line and even look at his books . Amazing to us from So Cal!! We specifically moved here for this school and have not been disappointed!!

Dickerson Middle School
855 Woodlawn Dr NE, Marietta, GA  30068
Last modified Dickerson Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dickerson Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 44 reviews. Top