Oakwood Digital Academy

Public | 9-12

Posted May 23, 2011

I have watched my daughter blossom from someone on the verge of slipping into depression at a "home" school with, theoretically, fantastic numbers to a happy girl getting the grades her EOTCs were saying she should be getting, without breaking a sweat. Her teachers were very supportive, to the point where she was one of the ones who made it on the news trying to keep the school open, to no avail. However, she graduated from the Digital Academy because she didn't want to leave Oakwood, even though that meant I had to drive across county every day. She adores Oakwood, and she's not alone. It's got a great "feel" to it from all involved.

Posted November 9, 2008

I was a student at Oakwood.. I loved it. People there are more relaxed, & laid back. The teachers there, also, are amazing! & Soo supportive. Mr. Devault was the one teacher who kept me going and made sure I graduated.. He helped me in so many ways, even so I graduated somewhat early! I was on the verge of dropping out & getting my G.E.D. Thank god I didn't! I've met some of the most amazing people there that I probably wouldn't have met if I didn't start class there.

Posted August 24, 2008

After three other high schools and on the verge of dropping out, Oakwood was my perfect fit. The unique structure and responsibility was just what I needed. I graduated in 2001, completed college and this year I will begin graduate school at Tulane University studying Social Work and Public Health. I cannot say enough about Oakwood high school. The fantastic people there deserve so much credit. Oakwood truly is an amazing, sometimes life-saving place to be.

Posted March 20, 2008

I graduated from Oakwood in 1995. I am now the mother of an eight year old and a graduate of Kennesaw State University. My degree is in education and I have spent the last two years of college periodically substitute teaching at Oakwood. I love this school! Teachers are relaxed, students feel safe, and goals are met. Had I not gone to Oakwood when I did I probably would not have graduated. Now I have a college education.

Posted May 15, 2006

I absolutely love oakwood. Since i first started at Oakwood thew teachers, and staff have show nothing but love and support. If you need help in anyway they will go out of their way to make it possible. I would also like to thank one teacher inperticular Mr. Carter, has helped me in so many ways. If Mr. Carter had not helped me i would probally have dropped out by now. I also would like to say that the school is ran very well by the principal and all of the staff under him. Thanks alot Oakwood for making me a better person.

Posted September 16, 2005

I moved around alot during my high school years and ended up going to three different high school including Oakwood and I must say this is the best school ever. The teachers are really and authentically carring for their students and are truely proud of their achievements. I felt that in this school only the teachers were really after our success academically as well as personal. I loved Oakwood and wished I had known about it earlier. (Grad. 2005)
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 16, 2004

This is school is awesome. My child went to McEachern, then decided to go to Oakwood to graduate early and she absolutly loves it there. And she really hated McEachern, even though she was a cheerleader there. She said that at Oakwood the teachers actually care about what happens and will help with anything to get you to pass. She said the environment there is so relaxed but everyone does what they are supposed to and no one gets in trouble. She thinks it has alot to do with the five cut system. You get five cuts or absences for anything including discipline and on the sixth one you are cut out and have to take the class next session. This is school is doing something very right on.

English Language Arts

The state average for English Language Arts was 91% in 2011.

24 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Math

The state average for Math was 84% in 2011.

17 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Science

The state average for Science was 93% in 2011.

24 students were tested at this school in 2011.

Social Studies

The state average for Social Studies was 80% in 2011.

23 students were tested at this school in 2011.

2009

Scale: % at or above passing

In 2010-2011 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Graduation Test (GHSGT) in English language arts, math, science and social studies to students in grade 11. The GHSGT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass all parts of the GHSGT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 95% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

In 2012-2013 Georgia administered the Georgia High School Writing Test (GHSWT) to students in grade 11. The GHSWT is a standards-based assessment, which means it measures how well students are mastering specific skills defined by the state of Georgia. Students must pass the GHSWT in order to graduate from high school. The goal is for all students to pass the test.

9th Grade Literature

The state average for 9th Grade Literature was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 30% in 2013.

American Literature

The state average for American Literature was 91% in 2013.

15 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 75% in 2013.

11 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Coordinate Algebra

The state average for Coordinate Algebra was 37% in 2013.

Economics

The state average for Economics was 79% in 2013.

49 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 75% in 2013.

Integrated Math I

The state average for Integrated Math I was 29% in 2013.

Integrated Math II

The state average for Integrated Math II was 59% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physical Science

The state average for Physical Science was 83% in 2013.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 73% in 2013.

23 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % meeting or exceeding standards

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 0% 3%

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1560 Joyner Ave SE